As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BS (lock)

stawkstawk Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
my college gives me three options for a degree

a bachelors in science

a bachelors in arts

or a bachelors in general studies

Unfortunatley a BS requires far far too much math, and a BA requires far too much language. BGS is the easiest to get but im afraid it wont look as good on a resume since it sounds like a bull shit degree.

so should i gor the very attainable or spend an extra year or two in college and get a BS or BA

stawk.jpg
stawk on

• Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    what do you want to do? what are your interests? you sound like you're in college because that's what everyone does after high school.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, it usually depends on what major you want to pursue, and that will dictate which degree you get. Unless you're looking at getting a BS or BA in Biology or something like that.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    well i was a psych major because its cool but there was too much math, then i switched to history because its also cool but that requires too much foreign language. so right now im nothing.

and yes im in college because its just what you do now a days

stawk on

stawk.jpg
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    stawk wrote: »
    well i was a psych major because its cool but there was too much math, then i switched to history because its also cool but that requires too much foreign language. so right now im nothing.

I'm not going to sugarcoat this. You need to man the fuck up. Too much math in psych? Are you serious? You are correct that no one is going to care about a Bachelor in General Studies. Any major worth its time that doesn't have a lot of math is going to have a lot of something else difficult. Your history example is a case in point.

As far as your BA versus BS question, this is highly dependant on your major and your program. For me, as a Comp Sci major, a BA wasn't going to be very useful to me. I could still have gotten a job, but in my field almost all the jobs you want require a BS. But there are plenty of other majors where the BA is perfectly fine.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Well, if you can't suffer through the minimum amount of math for a psych degree, and you can't suffer through the minimum amount of foreign language for a history degree, you're pretty much screwed. I'm pretty sure every degree ever requires at least one of the two and often both.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Scrublet wrote: »

I'm not going to sugarcoat this. You need to man the fuck up. Too much math in psych? Are you serious? You are correct that no one is going to care about a Bachelor in General Studies. Any major worth its time that doesn't have a lot of math is going to have a lot of something else difficult. Your history example is a case in point.

As far as your BA versus BS question, this is highly dependant on your major and your program. For me, as a Comp Sci major, a BA wasn't going to be very useful to me. I could still have gotten a job, but in my field almost all the jobs you want require a BS. But there are plenty of other majors where the BA is perfectly fine.

i personally dont see the point in taking calc classes as a psych major

stawk on

stawk.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009

If you don't understand basic calculus, your ability to interpret any form of experimental data will be extremely limited.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

but obviously your university does, and in the grand scheme of things - they are always going to win this argument

that being said, did you find psychology or history interesting enough to push past the relatively minor discomfort of learning mathematics and/or a foreign language? because I can't really think of a major that doesn't require one or the other at least in small increments

Usagi on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Additionally, many colleges require intro calc for ALL their majors. Because it is not that hard. Multivariate integration? That's something that I wouldn't expect everyone to have to go through. Basic differentiation? Yes that I think is within the reach of anyone who should get into a school.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think maybe you should be reconsidering whether you should be in college at all. You'd probably be better off finding a non-degree job now and earning money for 4 years than getting a BS/BA in Generic Studies and getting a job not much better.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Usagi wrote: »

but obviously your university does, and in the grand scheme of things - they are always going to win this argument

that being said, did you find psychology or history interesting enough to push past the relatively minor discomfort of learning mathematics and/or a foreign language? because I can't really think of a major that doesn't require one or the other at least in small increments

psych i liked but not enough for the math, and history i like allot but i really struggle with learing languages (Rosetta stone maybe?)

stawk on

stawk.jpg
  • Options
    vintagegamervintagegamer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Every general Bachelors degree has required "core" courses to complete for virtually all majors. Have you completed all of those yet? And I'm referring to the "basic" Math requirement, first and second writing requirements, etc.

Maybe while you are getting those knocked out you will find your way or fall into something you enjoy. I would at least get through the BA piece, school was very hard for me but that is what I ended up doing. I wanted to be in technology but at that time there were no web design courses, networking, etc. So, I went through and got my BA in Foreign Languages and Literatures (something I was good at). Now, 14 years later, I am happily in the technology world where I wanted to be all along. And without the degree, I never would have gotten my start (all of the jobs getting into IT for me required a minimum of a Bachelors). It will be hard if you don't know what you want to be in the long run, but if you're in school already and you're making progress, stay there and get SOME type of degree knocked out now. In time as more and more things pile on (kids, bills, changes in commutes, etc), you may never get the opp to get back to where you are now. As they say in the South, GIT R DONE! :D

Keep us posted.

vintagegamer on
    Working arcade games I own: Ms. Pac, Asteroids, TRON, Defender, Robotron: 2084, T2, Sorcerer pin, SMC-1 juke

Webmaster
    beforethedarktimes.com
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Usagi wrote: »

psych i liked but not enough for the math, and history i like allot but i really struggle with learing languages (Rosetta stone maybe?)

You do realize that a significant portion of any degree is designed to weed out the people who aren't all that interested, right? It doesn't matter what you pick, there is always going to be something intentionally at odds with the rest of the curriculum. That's the point.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Based on your seeming apathy toward university curriculum and the challenges therein, the General Studies major might be best for you. Many jobs these days require a Bachelor's in something, even though they don't actually require a skill set you couldn't get without college. The General Studies degree is for just that, being able to say you have a degree without having really pursued anything beyond a very loose liberal arts education.

What sort of work DOES interest you? Is there a technical skill you might be more interested in? If so, you might pursue technical school rather than university.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I got a BA in history. I hated the language requirement too. I found a loop hole.

In the summer of my freshman and sophomore years I took 4 semesters of American sign language (2 each summer)

It was a lot easier to get the hang off then written languages (NO PAPERS!) and taking it in summer school meant I had it every day to keep the repetition up.

Also as a side note I was the only male in a class of about 20 females. (They were audiology majors from the nursing school) I got more dates/girlfriends out of learning sign language then I did when I was in navy flight school. Who would have thought?

If your school offers ASL take it and thank me later.

Limp moose on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Limp moose wrote: »
    I got a BA in history. I hated the language requirement too. I found a loop hole.

In the summer of my freshman and sophomore years I took 4 semesters of American sign language (2 each summer)

It was a lot easier to get the hang off then written languages (NO PAPERS!) and taking it in summer school meant I had it every day to keep the repetition up.

Also as a side note I was the only male in a class of about 20 females. (They were audiology majors from the nursing school) I got more dates/girlfriends out of learning sign language then I did when I was in navy flight school. Who would have thought?

If your school offers ASL take it and thank me later.

holy shit why did i not think of this... brilliant sir... brilliant!

thanks for the help guys i now feel comfortable having this thread locked.

(p.s. scrublet your no help to anyone)

stawk on

stawk.jpg
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ... I will second what moose said. There's a school for the deaf right near me, and knowing sign language apparently really expands your dating options. ;P (I know, horrible, right?)

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    ... I will second what moose said. There's a school for the deaf right near me, and knowing sign language apparently really expands your dating options. ;P (I know, horrible, right?)

;)

stawk on

stawk.jpg
  • Options
    Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I went to purdue in the midwest by the way. So if that is where you are going to school I am sure you will have a very similar experience to what I had.

Just make sure you sign up as early as possible. The class fills up quick. Especially once your history major friends figure out what a scam it is compared to muddling through Italian or french or something,

Limp moose on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    i go to NIU unfortunatley

stawk on

stawk.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah the summer is the best time to take the classes. That way you'll be taking it all the time.

I wouldn't say that Sign Language is easier than a vocal language, but seeing as how you're having trouble with all the foreign languages and calculus it might be the only shot you've got left.

urahonky on
This discussion has been closed.