As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[OMNOMNOM on] Dawn of War 2: Realistic Nids!

• GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Zoanthropes don't get any kind of mention?

And lately I've been seeing Warpspiders (1 or 2 squads) used pretty well. If Haywire grenades were consistent I'd be tempted to have a squad running around at some point...
    You have not you damn liar. The squads have more than one guy and they all have helmets.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So Steam is like completely fucked right now?

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Zoanthropes don't get any kind of mention?

And lately I've been seeing Warpspiders (1 or 2 squads) used pretty well. If Haywire grenades were consistent I'd be tempted to have a squad running around at some point...

Zoans should get some mention.

Excuse me for being a doubting jackass, but I'll need a replay before I really see their value. Mmm, two squads of warpspiders... how many guardians could you get for that? With exarchs, I think you could get four upgraded guardian squads...

edit: Steam is completely fucked.

Corp.Shephard on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yes.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited March 2009
    Or almost two wraithlords.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Getting two squads of warp spiders is just donating req and power to your opponent so they can make their global resource out of it free of charge.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Winnie The PoohWinnie The Pooh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Steam got better

Winnie The Pooh on
  • KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, if steam got better then Games for Windows doesn't want to recognize my CD key, PERIOD. (See my post above for what's up)

Kruite on
  • CroakCroak Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You shouldn't be needing to give GFWL a CD key if Steam is functioning properly, Steam does that for you.

Croak on
    edited March 2009
    Croak wrote: »
    You shouldn't be needing to give GFWL a CD key if Steam is functioning properly, Steam does that for you.

Your guess is as good as mine croak. Steam is open and working....

Kruite on
    edited March 2009
    Penny arcade forum had a hiccup, sorry for double post.

Kruite on
  • CroakCroak Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Send me a PM with what you're doing and what you think is wrong, please.

Croak on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It'd be really awesome if I could use targetted abilities by clicking portraits. Instead of having to hunt the shit out of my damn ASMs to combat stim them. Because they jump around like monkeys.

SniperGuy on
    Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    It'd be really awesome if I could use targetted abilities by clicking portraits. Instead of having to hunt the shit out of my damn ASMs to combat stim them. Because they jump around like monkeys.
    I try to do this all the time.. :(

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited March 2009
    Do you know what would be a great addition to DoW2?

A balance patch. Yeah.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Pancake wrote: »

A balance patch. Yeah.

You not playing it!
    Naw I'm just kidding.
    Or am I?
    Yeah I am.

A balance patch would be pretty nice.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So I'm playing through on Primarch difficulty, and I get to the level where you have to kill the Carnifex. I push through the level, with some moderate difficulties (Let's just say I'm not too good on the Resilience points) and I get to the Carnifex. As I'm kiting and pumping it full of plasma fire and bolter shells and grenades, alll my mouse controls stop working. 2 units die as I realize this and I use the hotkeys to make the other two retreat, right as the Carnifex decides to AOE spam the exit. It made me a sad panda.

Does the loss of mouse control happen to everyone or is it just me and something quirky with my comp?

Moridin889 on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, it seems with a little luck and some skill, you can hold back a tac spam with a Deff Dread... for a while anyway...

http://www.gamereplays.org/dawnofwar2/replays.php?game=47&tab=upcoming&show=details&id=74091

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Can I post shit in this broken forum?

EDIT: I can!

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
    edited March 2009
    Foefaller wrote: »
    So, it seems with a little luck and some skill, you can hold back a tac spam with a Deff Dread... for a while anyway...

http://www.gamereplays.org/dawnofwar2/replays.php?game=47&tab=upcoming&show=details&id=74091

It's funny that you mention critical mass in that replay, most of my games vs tac spam is seems like no matter how far ahead I am in VPs (like 500-150 or so most of the time) once the tacs reach "critical mass" it just goes completely downhill.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • CanisAquilusCanisAquilus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I just beat general von, do do do. 8-)

CanisAquilus on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I watched the game between him and Pega today and I could not figure out wtf Pega was doing. Cool to hear you succeeded where the top ranked SM could not though.

Also, I am finding Stormboy spam to be a legitimate counter to Tac spam.

rts on
    edited March 2009
    So general von is really bad at the game?

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009
    cakemikz wrote: »

I watched the game between him and Pega today and I could not figure out wtf Pega was doing. Cool to hear you succeeded where the top ranked SM could not though.

Clearly shows that Eldar are overpowered and Space Marines are underpowered.

Akira on
    akira.gif
    edited March 2009
    Akira wrote: »
    cakemikz wrote: »

Clearly shows that Eldar are overpowered and Space Marines are underpowered.

One time I saw two guardian squads kill a tactical marine and then the tac squad had to retreat.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Goomba wrote: »

Well, like the dude said general von beat the top ranked sm.

But yeah I'm not tooooo sure what pega was doing. Trying to prove he didnt need tactical marines spam? I dont know.

I've played pega before and he tac spammed like a dirty whore.

CanisAquilus on
    edited March 2009
    The hell is a pega? Why do say these names like I know who they are? And why should I care if they are top ranked, that just means the abuse the fuck out of OP units.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009
    Crazy as it sounds goomba, when I post in this thread I am not exlusively talking to you.

But Pega is the top ranked spacemarine. Jesus watch some replays nub.

CanisAquilus on
    edited March 2009
    My bad. When you quote my posts I assume you are directing some part of your own post at my own unless you specify otherwise. I will keep this in mind in the future.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Goomba wrote: »

Well, like the dude said general von beat the top ranked sm.

But yeah I'm not tooooo sure what pega was doing. Trying to prove he didnt need tactical marines spam? I dont know.

I've played pega before and he tac spammed like a dirty whore.

Yeah aside from dreads and a razorback all he used was his two starting scouts....also one dev early on that did almost nothing before it died.

Man that brightlance sure raped all of his vehicles though. I mean hot damn that is some great AV.

rts on
    edited March 2009
    That actually shocked me too. He let a brightlance shoot his razorback in the back three times.

Thats just sitting there for like... 12-18 seconds being shot by AV.

CanisAquilus on
    edited March 2009
    Not as good as Lootas. Brightlances, that is.

Are.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    http://www.gamereplays.org/dawnofwar2/replays.php?game=47&tab=popular&show=details&id=73061

awesome nid replay.
    the enemy team was rather poo but OMG I'd love to play against a nid team such as this!

highlights of this video:

- a true swarm!
    - a hero going from level 2 to 10 in 20 seconds!
    - very little to none ravener lameness!

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That actually shocked me too. He let a brightlance shoot his razorback in the back three times.

Seems to me that Brightlance needs to get sped the fuck up, or at least up the damage pretty decently. Only time I've ever had success with them is either by having multiple set up just to cover the same area, or if the vehicle in question is being retarded like the Razorback in that replay.

I mean, with AV that requires setup time, shouldn't the damage be pretty significant? I'd gladly take a slightly higher cost for something nearly as mobile and effective as say...the Zoanthrope.

UnknownSaint on
    edited March 2009

Seems to me that Brightlance needs to get sped the fuck up, or at least up the damage pretty decently. Only time I've ever had success with them is either by having multiple set up just to cover the same area, or if the vehicle in question is being retarded like the Razorback in that replay.

I mean, with AV that requires setup time, shouldn't the damage be pretty significant? I'd gladly take a slightly higher cost for something nearly as mobile and effective as say...the Zoanthrope.

It's not really fair to compare your units to Tyranid ones though, the Tyranid one is going to be superior in almost every case.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, you should be comparing the brightlance to the plasma devastator squad, which is rape against pretty much everything in my experience, has a giantic range and can be spammed en masse.

Nothing is more fun than Tac Spam and Plas Dev Spam. 3 players plas dev spamming is the best fun in DoW2 except for 3 Raveners spamming AG warriors and mines.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    edited March 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Yeah, you should be comparing the brightlance to the plasma devastator squad, which is rape against pretty much everything in my experience, has a giantic range and can be spammed en masse.

Nothing is more fun than Tac Spam and Plas Dev Spam. 3 players plas dev spamming is the best fun in DoW2 except for 3 Raveners spamming AG warriors and mines.

Yeah, but brightlances and plasma cannons are pretty balanced against eachother. Brightlances cost 100 less req.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Yeah, but brightlances and plasma cannons are pretty balanced against eachother. Brightlances cost 100 less req.

I'd gladly take a cost increase on the Brightlance for it to be as strong as Plasma squad. Though that makes things a bit boring. Regardless, it's not really worthless considering the relatively cheap cost, though I feel Brightlance is still lacking a bit.

UnknownSaint on
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I never make brightlance cannons, not enough damage/mobility to fit them into my play. If I get stumped early on by vehicles I relocate to fight elsewhere or have a teammate assist until I get a falcon out (3v3).

Still, I don't think their damage should be improved as it would make entrenched spots that much harder to break through. They're just not made for mobility (actually fluff wise they are but I digress) and we got other solutions for that like WS (which aren't good for anything else except the haywire).

Alegis on
    edited March 2009

I'd gladly take a cost increase on the Brightlance for it to be as strong as Plasma squad. Though that makes things a bit boring. Regardless, it's not really worthless considering the relatively cheap cost, though I feel Brightlance is still lacking a bit.

I was joking. Brightlances suck. They're almost decent at best.

Brightlances are like the Wehrmacht AT guns in CoH except Eldar don't have good mobile AT to make up for it. They're like American infantry without the good AT guns in that regard. If you're going to have a lengthy set up and tear down time on the AT gun, you either need the gun itself to do good damage, have a quick enough fire rate that lower damage is acceptable or you need to have something else there to make up for it.

Eldar really don't have any of that.

There should be some sort of exploit where Eldar can take over enemy units to get a real fucking anti-vehicle unit.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg