As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Empire: Total War - ECONOMMYYYY!!

DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Games and Technology
Empire: Total War is the newest entry in the awesome Total War series.

Information!
Empire: Total War is an upcoming 2009 real-time tactics and turn-based strategy computer game. Developed by the Creative Assembly and published by Sega, the game is scheduled for release in March 2009. Announced in August 2007, Empire: Total War is the fifth installment in the Total War series, and focuses on the modern era period of the 1700s and 1800s. The game follows a similar style of play as earlier Total War titles: players choose a contemporary faction and set out to ensure their faction's domination over the known world through military force, politics, diplomacy, espionage and economics. Although the campaign element of the game is turn-based, players can direct battles in real-time. Empire: Total War is the first game in the series to allow naval battles to be conducted in real-time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_total_war
Command the seas, control the land, forge a new nation, and conquer the globe. Empire: Total War takes the Total War franchise to the eighteenth century Age of Enlightenment -- a time of political upheaval, military advancements, and radical thought, captured in stunning detail in Empire: Total War.

Empire: Total War introduces a host of revolutionary new features, including true 3D naval combat. For the first time in the Total War series, you will be able to intuitively command single ships or vast fleets upon seascapes rich with extraordinary water and weather effects that play a huge role in your eventual glorious success or ignominious defeat. After pummelling your enemy with cannon fire, close in to grapple their ship and prepare to board, taking control of your men as they fight hand-to-hand on the decks of these wooden behemoths.

In addition, Empire: Total War will see further enhancements to the Total War series’ signature 3D battles and turn-based campaign map. Real-time battles will pose new challenges with the addition of cannon and musket, challenging players to master new formations and tactics as a result of the increasing role of gunpowder within warfare. And the Campaign Map -- for many, the heart of Total War -- introduces a variety of new and upgraded elements, including new systems for Trade, Diplomacy and Espionage with agents; a refined and streamlined UI; improved Advisors; and a vastly extended scope, taking in the riches of India, the turbulence of Europe and, for the first time, the untapped potential of the United States of America.

http://www.sega.co.uk/empire/index.php?t=EnglishUK

Pictures!
EmpireTotalWar_E3_screenshot_6_med.jpg
musket_to_musket1_med.jpg
front_rank_med.jpg
fleet_in_battle_med.jpg
enduring_the_weather_med.jpg
Videos! Released! Go buy it!

talk, damn you!

NOTE: We don't advocate buying the version with extra units - they and more will no doubt be modded in as time progresses and honestly, for six units the offer is a total ripoff.

Also, as per request, the save game locations:

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\The Creative Assembly\Empire\save_games

Vista: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire\save_games

DarkCrawler on

• MadnessBAMadnessBA Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ok... in the video showing off that mod there were two lines of his own troops directly behind eachother...

Thats not actually a good idea right?

Please don't tell me this works because I play an all infantry + artillery Russia right now and I hate spreading my line out for miles.

MadnessBA on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    MadnessBA wrote: »
    ok... in the video showing off that mod there were two lines of his own troops directly behind eachother...

Thats not actually a good idea right?

Please don't tell me this works because I play an all infantry + artillery Russia right now and I hate spreading my line out for miles.

In case one line of infantry falls, if you have a unit behind them they can simply step forward to fill the gap. But no, it's probably not a good idea if you have them firing from that position. Friendly fire is in the game, after all. I've had my own artillery cut holes in my lines because of horrible accuracy. :P

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • TodesbartTodesbart Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Why is this game so awesome? And why the hell is it such a vast improvement over the old titles?

Todesbart on
    steam_sig.png
  • grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Despite the bugs, I broke down and ordered a copy from the gogamer sale the other day. It should arrive today hopefully.

Is the physical copy's manual better than the pathetic one on Steam? That pos doesn't even have the tech tree or a description of the buildings or traits.

grrarg on
    edited March 2009
    Nope, I'm sorry to disappoint you. The manual is shit in every version.

Todesbart on
    steam_sig.png
  • grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That sucks. I was hoping that the physical copy might have some charts that were left out of the .pdf. Manuals full of charts and tables is usually part of the fun of strategy games.

grrarg on
    edited March 2009
    I could send you a screenshot for every technology available, but that would take it's time.

Todesbart on
    steam_sig.png
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    I for one welcome our new Courland overlords.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    NOTE: We don't advocate buying the version with extra units - they and more will no doubt be modded in as time progresses and honestly, for six units the offer is a total ripoff.

They already were -- unfortunately, I didn't get the info before they took it down. :x

Fats on
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Just bought this, i'm intimidated by the big battles, my tactics suck. But i'm loving the alteration of history.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've started giving units awards for stuff in their names. I get attached.

Three letters for a nation they've campaigned against.
    SG if they've caused a unit to route with canister
    ST if they've stormed a building against unfavorable odds
    DH if they've taken 50% losses on any one fight
    And I add on as I think of them.

So a title looks like: 3rd Lighting |Den|ST|DH|. For a line infnatry reg.

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Don't forget about the Total War group: great for getting MP games going.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/pennytotalwar

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Courland is a bitch.

Endomatic on
    edited March 2009
    Sonar wrote: »
    I've started giving units awards for stuff in their names. I get attached.

Three letters for a nation they've campaigned against.
    SG if they've caused a unit to route with canister
    ST if they've stormed a building against unfavorable odds
    DH if they've taken 50% losses on any one fight
    And I add on as I think of them.

So a title looks like: 3rd Lighting |Den|ST|DH|. For a line infnatry reg.

I was hyped about sending my first expedition to America so I named it all like: "1st Expeditional Infantry/Cavalry" etc. :D

Honk on
  • Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Todesbart wrote: »
    Why is this game so awesome? And why the hell is it such a vast improvement over the old titles?

ETW is what MOO3 tried (and failed) to do.

I bought this game the day before yesterday and hated it. I was overwhelmed. And then I played last night and I think I'm starting to fall in love.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well I was about to do things tonight, but I guess its time to boot it up and kick the British Colonials out of Newfoundland!

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2009
    I'm now playing with the United Provinces on Hard/Hard. I've a few territories in the Carribean and I've managed to fuck Spain over to reunite Flanders and Holland. Then I took Paris and gave it back to France for a peace treaty (they're allied with Spain) and 2 technologies.

The fucking Pirates sunk one of my fleets, but I'm currently on the way to take over Trinitad&Tobago.

Todesbart on
    steam_sig.png
  • MalaysianShrewMalaysianShrew Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm hating the new reinforcement system. It's not very clear and the game/manual don't explain it well. Apparently it takes two turns to reinforce a unit that takes one turn to build. The advantage is now you don't need to have it in a city where it can be trained so you don't have to walk across the map again to reinforce your Templar Knights like in games of old. Of course, you wouldn't have to do that anyways because of the new building system you aren't forced into specializing cities as much. Also, while waiting for my troops to reinforce after taking konigsberg, I intercepted a small force passing by. This apparently reset all my troops reinforcements making me wait an extra turn. There also doesn't seem to be a way to tell which units you just told to reinforce and which already waited a turn.

MalaysianShrew on
    Never trust a big butt and a smile.
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    grrarg wrote: »
    Despite the bugs, I broke down and ordered a copy from the gogamer sale the other day. It should arrive today hopefully.

Is the physical copy's manual better than the pathetic one on Steam? That pos doesn't even have the tech tree or a description of the buildings or traits.

The physical copy that I have has the manual on CD unfortunately, but it does have a big fold out map type thing of the tech tree.

Dissociater on
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh fuck Courland. Fuck Courland. They're too small to be a proper threat to me, but they somehow manage to send a half-stack army at my eastern flank every other turn. And then they attack, whether or not they actually stand a chance of winning. And I can't attack back because they always manage to leave a full stack in their capitol and i'm busy elsewhere. Argh.

So yeah, fuck Courland. I'm going to burn the place down and make it into a Courland-themed theme park to keep my citizens happy. I shall call it Courlandland.

Mr Ray on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Any good mods out yet?

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm playing as Prussia for my first playthrough.

So far I've elminated Courland, Poland-Hungary, and a few other small nations.

I have some sea trade routes with various countries...but I feel that I"m missing out by not sending out some Indianmen to trade at those trade points. Is it worth it?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited March 2009
    Two questions:

What are the effects of boosting the campaign difficulty level?

Do the Janissary musket infantry use rank fire or platoon fire?

On the lighter side, I got beat pretty bad by the Inuit last night. First time I've seen the computer to a massed cavalry charge. I deploy, start walking my army forward to get in a better position, thinking, "Silly eskimos, how can you hope to stand against my..OH GOD, HORSES! SO MANY HORSES!" Like five units of lancers charged right into the center of my line wiping out my cannon and killing my general in the space of a heartbeat. Good times.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    In my normal/normal India campaign I dominate the ivory trade for insane profits. France has one slot, all the others are mine. I'm in year 1725, and I have an income of 30000 or so. Of course, having the one nation state attack me meant heavy troop build up (Also because they blitzed a territory, which caused unhappyness, which caused 2 rebellions, which cost more unhappyness), so my net profit is only about 8k.

So far I've just defeated those who attacked me (Man walking through Persia took a while), but right now, for the first time, i'm at peace with everyone. I'm considering taking over Portugal next.

The AI on normal seems very static. I'm not sure I've seen a province switch hands yet.

Also, weirdly, the barbary states are a protectorate of the Ottoman Empire.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Okay.

I am interested in this game. It looks like it should be fun.

But I watched the IGN Video Review and it was the most boring fucking thing I could imagine.

So despite all the high marks, this game now seems like it will be incredibly boring to me. I think part of my problem is that using Colonial times units seems extremely slow paced to me. Plus, empire building where the tech doesn't progress to modern times and beyond seems a little off. Are these two issues I brought up, like, actually issues? How do they get around the idea that technology and research just kinda stop so as not to leave the time period?

JustinSane07 on
    edited March 2009
    mugginns wrote: »
    Any good mods out yet?

All faction unlock has been out since monday or so, pretty fun indeed though not quite stable yet.

Honk on
    edited March 2009
    Okay.

But I watched the IGN Video Review and it was the most boring fucking thing I could imagine.

So despite all the high marks, this game now seems like it will be incredibly boring to me. I think part of my problem is that using Colonial times units seems extremely slow paced to me. Plus, empire building where the tech doesn't progress to modern times and beyond seems a little off. Are these two issues I brought up, like, actually issues? How do they get around the idea that technology and research just kinda stop so as not to leave the time period?

For me personally I've always found 18th century warfare very boring and stupid. Yet I still enjoy the hell out of this game whenever it decides to work on my computer. Seeing a three row deep line of infantry simultaneously fire while the first rank of the enemy sails down to the ground is awesome.

It's also a game where you get to destroy Courland, which from now on is something I'll demand from every game!

Honk on
  • RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    There is supposedly a new mod from "lord vader" or somesuch guy who apparently makes quite a few mods for the total war games.

The problem is that in fixing legit AI bugs, he is 'fixing' things that aren't broken, or are deliberate by the devs.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=4657549#post4657549

I like the list, but i have a problem with:

-- When turning formations or jumping walls units sometimes go into ultra-run mode (This is to keep the line together when seperated, its a game thing)
    -- Muskets range is very short (Seriously?? wtf)
    -- Artillery is completely ineffective/inaccurate unless you alter the unitsize to 240+ (sigh)
    -- Naval Units endure too much (they are made of wood?!)

Some people are missing the point of the time period in the game, or watch too much Patriot

As for the drummer / flute patch .. I heard that EVERY unit, EVERY country gets the same (Brittish) marching beat. I like the smoke, etc ... but I'll just use the default beat when i research it (and zoom in)

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Okay.

This game isn't for you then. its a strategy game designed to let you control tactics and units like you would in the 1700-1800 period. Technology progress seems spot on, as the only somewhat 'modern' tech in the game is rifled barrels, and it would take you to near end game to get it anyway.

i would love to find a game that let me take tech from ancient times to the modern era (like CIV) but keep the unit battles in Total War. Such a game will never be realized though. Spore was something like this, but we all see how that got nerfed.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited March 2009
    Heir wrote: »
    I'm playing as Prussia for my first playthrough.

So far I've elminated Courland, Poland-Hungary, and a few other small nations.

I have some sea trade routes with various countries...but I feel that I"m missing out by not sending out some Indianmen to trade at those trade points. Is it worth it?

Probably. It's the resources you get from trade points and colonies that you sell to the countries you have trade agreements with. It depends on how many resources (ie ship up-keep) you need to devote to maintain and defend your trade theatre presence. A single ship on a trade node typically brings in 300-500 in resources per turn, with diminishing returns for multiple ships. On the plus side though, the AI doesn't seem at all interested in contesting trade nodes, at least on normal difficulty. As the UP in my last game, I had 14 of the world's 20 nodes for almost the entire game with nothing but indiamen sitting on them, no protecting fleets or warships, and never had a node attacked by pirates or other countries. Ships would get attacked on the way to or from, but it's easy enough to run away.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
    edited March 2009
    Honk wrote: »
    For me personally I've always found 18th century warfare very boring and stupid.
    Monster.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So I'd been building up a huge army of native only units (and some cannons) in Moose Factory to start clearing out NA and get the 13 colonies to join me fully. I marched them over to new france and... things did not go well.

Natives are so, so terrible. In the stats panel there's barely a difference between them and line infantry (longer range, worse reloading), but on the battlefield it's a huge difference. They're completely incompetant at gun play.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited March 2009
    RoundBoy wrote: »
    There is supposedly a new mod from "lord vader" or somesuch guy who apparently makes quite a few mods for the total war games.

The problem is that in fixing legit AI bugs, he is 'fixing' things that aren't broken, or are deliberate by the devs.

-- When turning formations or jumping walls units sometimes go into ultra-run mode (This is to keep the line together when seperated, its a game thing)
    -- Artillery is completely ineffective/inaccurate unless you alter the unitsize to 240+ (sigh)

Some people are missing the point of the time period in the game, or watch too much Patriot

As for the drummer / flute patch .. I heard that EVERY unit, EVERY country gets the same (Brittish) marching beat. I like the smoke, etc ... but I'll just use the default beat when i research it (and zoom in)

Ah yea, looks pretty useless to me.

I really want a Civil War mod. That needs to come out soon.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Goddamnit Huron Confederacy, what the hell?
    We've had a successful trade route going for about 10 years. I'm allied to your allies. I'm not at war with them. I haven't invaded your country.

So why oh why did you declare war on me? Did you start feel sorry for the Colonial British who first came here and wiped across your land like a plague? Do you not see George Washington as a sort of liberator for your people?

I'm just going to crush you like a bug like I did with your neighbours. I liked you, Huron. I gave you state gifts, fur, tobacco, money... Now, now you're just going to die. I hope you enjoy your decision you SAVAGES :x

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2009
    Honk wrote: »
    For me personally I've always found 18th century warfare very boring and stupid.
    Monster.

Reformed monster! I'm loving it now. I have... changed.:shock:

Honk on
  • ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Oh fuck Courland. Fuck Courland. They're too small to be a proper threat to me, but they somehow manage to send a half-stack army at my eastern flank every other turn. And then they attack, whether or not they actually stand a chance of winning. And I can't attack back because they always manage to leave a full stack in their capitol and i'm busy elsewhere. Argh.

So yeah, fuck Courland. I'm going to burn the place down and make it into a Courland-themed theme park to keep my citizens happy. I shall call it Courlandland.

I'm playing as Great Britain right now, and Russia took Courland from Sweden as I was taking Norway/Sweden/Finland from Sweden, but Courland fought for its independence and is separate again, with a full stack that Russia hasn't managed to take over again. Enemy of my enemy++, :D.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
    edited March 2009
    RoundBoy wrote: »

Ah yea, looks pretty useless to me.

I really want a Civil War mod. That needs to come out soon.

That would be a little difficult, considering the territories aren't designed at all the way that they would have to be for the CW, :|.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Prester JohnPrester John Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Goddamnit Huron Confederacy, what the hell?
    We've had a successful trade route going for about 10 years. I'm allied to your allies. I'm not at war with them. I haven't invaded your country.

So why oh why did you declare war on me? Did you start feel sorry for the Colonial British who first came here and wiped across your land like a plague? Do you not see George Washington as a sort of liberator for your people?

I'm just going to crush you like a bug like I did with your neighbours. I liked you, Huron. I gave you state gifts, fur, tobacco, money... Now, now you're just going to die. I hope you enjoy your decision you SAVAGES :x

The native factions will switch sides for chump change. Seriously, make them a sandwich and they'll go to war with their best friend.

Prester John on
  • Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'd like to see a mod where disease is a factor when marching armies, transporting them by sea and laying siege. I really don't buy disembarking from England with a full stack and arriving in the New World with that exact same full stack.

Richard_Dastardly on
    edited March 2009
    I'd like to see a mod where disease is a factor when marching armies, transporting them by sea and laying siege. I really don't buy disembarking from England with a full stack and arriving in the New World with that exact same full stack.

Maybe we could even add in how individual people have different minds, so that a group of 500 may have half of them resist attacking the indians because of their consciences.

Oh, wait, that would suck for a game.

Alternatively: You don't need to think in the hive mind.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg