As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Empire: Total War - ECONOMMYYYY!!

• Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    99% sure that they'll run out of weapons range. Even if you don't bother to micromanage them, the added range and accuracy let them absolutely shred regular line infantry, plus the advantage they give you on the offensive when the enemy has to move to respond to your fire.

Do Grenzers and/or Jaegers have a mine ability? My line infantry had something blow them up while I was looking the other way.

Arang on
    thenews.jpg
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Whenever I put my guys on Skirmish mode, they always run away and face the wrong bloody direction. I think I may just be catching them at the wrong time, as they never get slaughtered.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The genius of skirmish mode is that you can pull off a sort of reverse fire and advance where whenever the enemy tries to get in range of one unit, they can pull back while others shoot at the enemy. Of course, sometimes they can keep all your guys running while some of theirs get to shoot at them.

Arang on
    thenews.jpg
  • Options
    TheBenjomonsterTheBenjomonster Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    When I heard there was a whole new TW game coming out, I decided to give ETW's latest patch a go around to see if they had finally fixed anything. The very first I do in a game is try to fire some grapeshot cannon at an obviously-hittable column of infantry. I quit immediately after.

... Cannon unit 1 fired directly into the ground. Cannon unit 2 fired directly into Cannon unit 1, prompting their retreat. Cannon unit 3 watched it all go down without firing a shot.

Fuck CA. An entire year goes by and not only do they neglect to make ETW playable, they choose to work on shitty DLC's and entirely separate games.

TheBenjomonster on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The only bug I've been getting is one that removes the colors from all the uniforms, making everyone white. Its bizarre, and happens fairly often. A restart fixes it, but its rather annoying.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    For you Napoleon owners, here's a mod that was just released today. Among several different features, it replaces the Fire and Advance mode with.... Fire by Rank! It also tones down the movement speed a bit. The mod includes AI changes in other areas, but there's a version for just the combat stuff if that's all you want.

Link!

Metallikat on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Metallikat wrote: »
    For you Napoleon owners, here's a mod that was just released today. Among several different features, it replaces the Fire and Advance mode with.... Fire by Rank! It also tones down the movement speed a bit. The mod includes AI changes in other areas, but there's a version for just the combat stuff if that's all you want.

Link!

I hope that doesn't include lower march speed? Because marching is slow enough to make me utilize the fast forward feature...

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Metallikat wrote: »

Link!

I hope that doesn't include lower march speed? Because marching is slow enough to make me utilize the fast forward feature...

I believe it does. But I have to say, I thought the units moved a little too fast at vanilla speeds.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I got hit in the head today and in my dazed stupor I tried to play Empire again for a little bit. In my first fight, a unit of cannons were routing, except only the horses and cannons ran. The men stayed around, and proceeded to fire canister shot out of presumably their asses. Fun times. Although, I think this is the first time that I've actually quit the game, instead of getting a crash to desktop. So I guess that counts as improvement?

edit: I mean, I hadn't seen that cannon bug before, so I guess they're still adding content?

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I kind of have the urge to play vanilla Empire again and get a big army of crazy hatchet wielding fanatics going. Anyone played as the Mughuls? I started a game as them, but they had so many territories that I instead went with Mysore, which starts off consolidated in one. Both use the same roster.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I played as the Marathas once and just spammed the living fuck out of swordsmen. My army ended up pretty broken.

Cannons? Zerg them.
    Cavalry? Zerg them.
    Ranks of heavy line infantry? Zerg them (carefully).

By the end of the game I had to use autoresolve simply because the sheer amount of soldiers in battle brought my pretty beefy computer to its knees.

Suriko on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I don't really like the Maratha, they are too European in playstyle. They even get drill capable infantry off the bat. The non playable easterns have less of that and have to really work to get drilled infantry.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Is there a PA group for E:TW / N:TW? This would be specifically relevant for the "drop in" battle feature, which also has a "Friends Only" tickbox qualifier.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    Lionel-RichieLionel-Richie Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    When I heard there was a whole new TW game coming out, I decided to give ETW's latest patch a go around to see if they had finally fixed anything. The very first I do in a game is try to fire some grapeshot cannon at an obviously-hittable column of infantry. I quit immediately after.

... Cannon unit 1 fired directly into the ground. Cannon unit 2 fired directly into Cannon unit 1, prompting their retreat. Cannon unit 3 watched it all go down without firing a shot.

Fuck CA. An entire year goes by and not only do they neglect to make ETW playable, they choose to work on shitty DLC's and entirely separate games.

This honestly sounds like User Error, sorry. : /

You can't just arcade your cannons. Location, location, location. And leaving them on auto-fire after the enemy closes in is a recipe for disaster too. I never, ever had a problem with cannister shot in ETW...and artillery in NTW is just downright deadly.

Lionel-Richie on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Is there a PA group for E:TW / N:TW? This would be specifically relevant for the "drop in" battle feature, which also has a "Friends Only" tickbox qualifier.

I'd be down for this, and for making it a general group for total war in general. I love MTW 2 as well. I'm interested in casual games for fun. I mean, I play to win, but I don't chose unrealistic armies just to be a dick.

Drop in just sounds like opportunities to be an asshole. I mean, generals aren't that hard to kill if you are trying to do so and don't care about your troops because they aren't actually yours. :P

Cannons: I've had issues with them not firing on their proper targets in Siege battles, but otherwise, yeah, no clue what he's going on about.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There is a Total War Steam group already. I'd link it, but Steam is fixing itself atm.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    For the cannons, I think the problem is the AI isn't smart enough to not shoot themselves. Yes, they can work fine if you babysit them, but it's retarded that you have to.

Unless you mean a group of men running around belching grapeshot at other infantry. That's retarded too.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    These total war games have somehow passed me by entirly.
    And now I want to play some total war.

I read the thread and see that there are some bugs still.
    Should I get Empire or Napoleon?

Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I never had much problem with ETW gameplay. Just the crashes.

To the above person DON'T GET ETW, it's more buggy then the anthill on my backyard.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I haven't seen any of the mentioned ETW bugs, except the mixup in the research tabs.

Ivar on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

If you're buying now, just get Napoleon. It'll actually get patched at some point (CA says they're done with Empire).

a5ehren on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Or buy Medieval 2, if you want to see what the Total war series was like in its glory days.

Vic on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Vic wrote: »
    Or buy Medieval 2, if you want to see what the Total war series was like in its glory days.

And if you want to play any awesome mods.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Oke, oke, bought the gold edition for 5 euro's out of a bargain bin.

Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    War BastardWar Bastard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Oke, oke, bought the gold edition for 5 euro's out of a bargain bin.

Fire up the Teutonic Campagin. Play as the founders of Prussia. Kill mans. Feel good.

Gott mit uns!

War Bastard on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It was a stick.
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Neither, get one from when the series/games were good.

As mentioned, yeah we already have a steam group. It fell apart when E:TW did. It got a little resurgence when the beta for coop campaign came out but died again shortly after. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/pennytotalwar

Endaro on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'd get Napoleon first. Empire would then be good as more of the same, though its mainly worth it if you want to play a non-Euro faction, all the Euro factions have way more love put into them in Napoleon. Ignore the haters.

MTW 2 is also a great game, as is MTW 1. Rome is ok only if you want to mod it.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm sorry, but Rome: TW is fuckawesome.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Malkor wrote: »

Hooray, another chance to use my favorite screenshot.
    RTWpwned2.jpg

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Malkor wrote: »

Yeah, it's like DisruptorX2 doesn't like watching packs of dogs chasing down cowardly French generals as they run for their lives. It's hard for me to understand.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So, is the Imperial Splendour mod for E:TW any good?

Does it fix some of the AI stupidity? Such as almost always declaring war on you regardless of the situation, never accepting peace even when they're getting trounced and hating you almost unconditionally?

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    IS was pretty cool last time I tried it, which was quite a few patches ago.

AI behavior is pretty rational now though, in the default game. You just need to know what their pre-set expansion goals are.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well, I haven't played since shortly after release, and it was pretty stupid then. :o

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well, I haven't played since shortly after release, and it was pretty stupid then. :o

Well...on release it kind of just sat there and let you conquer it. :rotate:

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    I must say that I really like the rifle-combat focus of Empire, also it has a bunch of new features. So at the base line I must say that it's one of the best TW games.

On the other hand though I was only able to play it for a week until a bug caused all my save games to be un-loadable. Every new campaign I tried would continue to have this error about 30 turns in. I am not starting up a new campaign to try if this has been fixed any more, as it takes several hours to get to that point and I don't want to risk just wasting that time.

So Empire is a very excellent game except that I can't play it.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Honk wrote: »
    So Empire is a very excellent game except that I can't play it.

This.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Here is a simple, but, pretty damn good mod for Napoleon that fixes some of the annoyances.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=338437

First two ranks fire now. Combined with a more accurate formation and battles are pretty crazy now since it doubles the amount of smoke and lead flying. The morale changes work well too.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm guessing that fix adds an actual animation? As I noted earlier in this thread, Napoleon does have multiple rank fire...but it consists of the first rank firing once....then firing again. o_O

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm guessing that fix adds an actual animation? As I noted earlier in this thread, Napoleon does have multiple rank fire...but it consists of the first rank firing once....then firing again. o_O

Yup. They both fire with animations. I've actually noticed the third rank firing now too... Hmmm.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    NinyuNinyu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Got to love the AI. From my first playthrough (never played Empire):

Playing as Austria the French hammered me in the first couple turns taking Innsbruck and Bavaria while I was trying to figure this game out. I was encouraged that I was in for a challenge. However, a couple turns later I catch Napoleon out in the middle of my Prague region with 1 unit of line infantry accompanying him. Seriously??? I promptly descend upon him, wound him, and send him back to Paris. I think? Does he go to the nearest friendly capital? Then I notice Northern Italy sending any unit it produces to go stand next to Innsbruck. Just unit after unit. After I finally notice that their armies aren't doing anything but standing there I send a spy over to check out their only city. A grand army of 4 line infantry is guarding their only city! Meanwhile, they have two full stacks of front line troops standing next to Innsbruck!! Come on. Seriously?? I march over and take their city and wipe out probaby the two biggest armies in all of Europe with minimal losses and gain an opera house and a college.

Ninyu on
    "It would be cool if you lived with a monster, you would never get hiccups." - Mitch Hedburg