As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Empire: Total War - ECONOMMYYYY!!

1565758596062»

• War BastardWar Bastard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pancake wrote: »
    Man NTW really is the game that ETW should have been.

I look at NTW as a giant "Hey, fans, FUCK YOU"

Seriously I just paid $50 for ETW not too long ago and now they want $50 for a standalone expansion pack?

I seethe with generic rage

$40 if you don't need the extra stuff, which I don't think is really worthwhile. $40 isn't that far off for an expansion pack.

I'm more annoyed that ETW wasn't released with all the features NTW has. NTW would be even cooler/cheaper if they had a more solid base to work from. The reason that NTW is more expensive that the average expansion pack is that it changes gameplay quite a bit. A lot of new diplomatic options, attrition and liberating/occupying/looting settlements to name a few. ETW definitely needed more time in the oven and I feel the same as most of you because ETW needed more work done to it and it was made redundant so quickly.

Personally, I'd like to see a modder recreate ETW period in Napoleon (Seven Years War perhaps?) but quite a bit of the game is hardcoded compared to previous titles. We'll see, hopefully after an expansion for Napoleon comes out we'll get our hands on some modding tools.

War Bastard on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It was a stick.
  • CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hmm, so what's this? I thought CA had dropped Empire;

(From Steam, March 31st)
    SEGA Europe Ltd. is pleased to announce that "Update 1.6" for the award winning Empire: Total War will be available today. The update introduces a large number of revisions to the Artificial Intelligence in real time battles. Amongst many other improvements, the Battle A.I. now maintains its lines more rigorously, has better army movement and engages in melee more tactically. It is also better at protecting its own advance and engaging opponents with flanking attacks.

It remains irrelevant to me though, I just can't go back after N:TW. A shame really as I still go back to Medieval (I + II), Rome & even Shogun regularly.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I started a new game in Empire as France with a new strategic plan. Instead of getting bogged down in the New World, instead I approached that with a merely opportunistic strategy, only seizing territory when the opportunity presented itself. The majority of my forces moved into Italy to seize objective territories there. I kept a small garrison in Paris in case of attack by the Protestant Dutch heathens, but so far peace with them held.

Working quite well so far. When Britain declared war on me, I seized Maine, allied with the Huron, and am generally in a strong position, rather than over extended and in debt.

Haven't been able to play in a few days, though. Can't wait to check out the new patch.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Huh. Wasn't expecting that.

PolloDiablo on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hmm, so what's this? I thought CA had dropped Empire;

(From Steam, March 31st)
    SEGA Europe Ltd. is pleased to announce that "Update 1.6" for the award winning Empire: Total War will be available today. The update introduces a large number of revisions to the Artificial Intelligence in real time battles. Amongst many other improvements, the Battle A.I. now maintains its lines more rigorously, has better army movement and engages in melee more tactically. It is also better at protecting its own advance and engaging opponents with flanking attacks.

It remains irrelevant to me though, I just can't go back after N:TW. A shame really as I still go back to Medieval (I + II), Rome & even Shogun regularly.

well I'll be damned
    good thing I never bought Napoleon since I bought Empire on release at full price and regretted it ever since. I guess I'll have to give it another whirl.

(speaking of Napoleon, it's 10% off on steam right now but that's still not cheap enough for me to give Creative Assembly more of my money)

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Empire is on sale for $10.50 at D2D. Honestly, about what it's worth.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    Why do you people actively follow the news for these games if you loath them so? I mean, really. Its kind of comical.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Because I really used to love the series and I'm hoping they'll somehow turn it around. It's like a parent being disappointed in you but still hoping you'll succeed.

PolloDiablo on
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Because I really used to love the series and I'm hoping they'll somehow turn it around. It's like a parent being disappointed in you but still hoping you'll succeed.

Endaro on
    edited April 2010
    I suppose if your selective memory allows you to forget the crippling flaws in previous titles, such a position is possible.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited April 2010
    I suppose if your selective memory allows you to forget the crippling flaws in previous titles, such a position is possible.

You have to admit Empire is considerably more buggy than the previous ones. There are plenty of design decisions I hated in older ones, but this game is simply broken.

PolloDiablo on
  • Lionel-RichieLionel-Richie Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Broken? Seems a bit excessive. The only thing I would deem broken in Empire at this point are the ridiculous sieges.

The only reason AI flaws weren't so obvious in the past games is just because it was big melee piles. The idea of a melee bug was...well, lol.

Lionel-Richie on
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Broken? Seems a bit excessive. The only thing I would deem broken in Empire at this point are the ridiculous sieges.

The only reason AI flaws weren't so obvious in the past games is just because it was big melee piles. The idea of a melee bug was...well, lol.

Pretty much this, in the past games melee was the standard AI function of line troops, not range.

TheGerbil on
    edited April 2010
    No, the AI was just as laughably bad. Perhaps you don't remember the "passive AI" bug in MTW 2, where the AI just stands still and lets you shoot it to death. Or in Rome, where they would stand outside of your walls and let your towers shoot them to death.

I haven't really played MTW 1 in a long time, so I don't remember much about how the AI worked in that, though.

I actually just started up MTW 2 to do an epic siege battle. It consisted of the defenders all huddling in the town center, awaiting death.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    99 pages? I will do a new OP!

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    No, the AI was just as laughably bad. Perhaps you don't remember the "passive AI" bug in MTW 2, where the AI just stands still and lets you shoot it to death. Or in Rome, where they would stand outside of your walls and let your towers shoot them to death.

I haven't really played MTW 1 in a long time, so I don't remember much about how the AI worked in that, though.

I actually just started up MTW 2 to do an epic siege battle. It consisted of the defenders all huddling in the town center, awaiting death.

To be fair, these games are trying to manage a shitload of things simultaneously. I've never been surprised at the weird things happening.

Hell, in the computer program WETA made for the LotR battles, the first time they tried to put two forces against each other the units just ran away.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2010