As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ReEnlistment Bonus! AKA Time to buy some toys!

WraithXt1WraithXt1 Registered User regular
It looks like I'm going to re enlist in the Air Force and get a nice 52k signing bonus and a free 2 year tour to Japan!

On the top of my list is a new set of speakers for my computer. Right now I'm running a fairly decent 2.1 system. I'd like to get a 5.1 with wireless rear speakers if at all possible. If not, I wont lose any sleep over it. My PC has an optical audio jack, so that would be interesting to use. My Budget is 450 dollars.

The seconds is pretty much the same deal. I'm using a 50 dollar surround sound system for my home theater system in my living room. It sounds awful and the controls are terrible. I NEED to relace this one fast. Again, a 5.1 system would be ideal, I don’t believe wireless would be needed here.

I've been browsing Newegg and Amazon for the past few hours, and I really don’t even know what I'm looking for. Does anyone have suggestions?

WraithXt1.png
WraithXt1 on

• Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    How's your budget for #2? I would check out this thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=79641. I asked about mid-range speakers and got a ton of info in it...I'm guessing that will give you some things to check out. Note that if you start talking about some of the nicer brands mentioned in that thread, you're not going to be able to get them from Newegg or Amazon. As an example, I plan on putting together a 5.1 Paradigm Studio setup over this year, and when I went to Dealer Locater there is only ONE place for me to buy those (I live in Eastern MD).

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    WraithXt1WraithXt1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Looking good in that thread, thanks for the info!

It seems like the Logitech Z5500 might be a good choice too. Any ideas?

WraithXt1 on
    WraithXt1.png
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You will probably love those speakers. As always, if you can find them at Best Buy or something try them out.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lucky. They just reduced all re-enlistment bonuses in the Navy to 0 dollars.

Grumble grumble.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    WraithXt1 wrote: »
    Looking good in that thread, thanks for the info!

It seems like the Logitech Z5500 might be a good choice too. Any ideas?

I have an older generation of what would appear to be this same line of speakers and I love them. I must have had them for over five years now and I am still using them. They sound great and work wonderfully. The only complaint I have is the subwoofer is so powerful I tend to keep it up a single notch.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    KaOsKaOs Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Grumble grumble.

Lies. I'm reenlisting for 90 grand. Star reenlistment. Gotta love it.

KaOs on
    Arrath:The best way to describe it is like playing Rock-Paper-Scissors with somebody. Only you have to go first. And then the other player gets to make their move based on what you did.
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    KaOs wrote: »

Grumble grumble.

Lies. I'm reenlisting for 90 grand. Star reenlistment. Gotta love it.

I did leave out that nukes still have them, but for everyone with a job that doesn't make them want to kill themselves it's zero. As of april 30th I think, too, so people doing it within this month are in the clear.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    lunarislunaris Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Nukes?

lunaris on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    people that deal with the nuclear reactors that power most modern navy vessels

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Onkyo makes highly respected and good quality home-theater-in-a-box systems. This is all I really need for 5.1, personally:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120085

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    thisonekidmongothisonekidmongo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    For receivers I like accessories4less.com. Stupid name, but wide selection of refurbished Marantz and Onkyo receivers at great prices. I often prefer refurbished merchandise, because that essentially means they were QC'ed twice. And through that site you get the usual 1-year warranty anyway so you've nothing to lose.

For speakers, I like PSB's Image line. I got these for my brother about a year ago and I have no complaints whatsoever about their performance. The step-down Alpha series is also good--more of a "budget" speaker, but probably more bang for the buck. The cheapest I've seen PSBs is from Saturday Audio, which has a terrible, terrible web site but again, good prices.

You could also go for Internet-direct speaker brands, which tend to offer a better value proposition. I own the Rocket series from AV123, which I love, but is probably more than you're looking for. I've heard good things about their budget ELT line, though I've never heard them personally. You should also check out Aperion Audio and Ascend Audio. I'm pretty sure all of these companies offer free 30-day trial periods, so you can see how they sound in your room and send them back free of charge if it doesn't work out. Speakers can sound vastly different from room to room, so it's always ideal to do this if you can. Not that lugging 50 pounds of speakers to UPS would be fun.

As for the ".1," well, cheap, good subs are a little harder to come by...but having a sub is essential for movies, in my opinion.

thisonekidmongo on