As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Secret World] - Cthulhu is all over this

• Options
    DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    lolfuncom.

But seriously.

Got a beta invite, but I'm not sure if it's for the weekend or otherwise.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    I expect tht my internet won't be sorted intime for me to take part this weekend.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Dalantia wrote: »
    lolfuncom.

But seriously.

I'm right there with you. I was one of the poor souls who bought Age of Conan at launch.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    lolfuncom.

But seriously.

I'm right there with you. I was one of the poor souls who bought Age of Conan at launch.

Don't remind me about AoC... only bigger disappointment was Shadowbane. Man, I followed that game for a long time before release...

• Options
    SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    Adda wrote: »
    Get your beta keys here for the first weekend http://www.gamespot.com/event/codes/secret-world-pc/

It's NDA free as well.

Thanks, this will be my backup if TSW doesn't fix the secret wars/the secret world lack of linkage.

I was in contact with a couple of members of their support, but they said that they couldn't resend me the e-mail that allows me to link up my FB account with

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    Clarification on that up there, by the way... the public beta weekend is NDA-free, the closed beta that keys are going out today for is not. I'd hate to see people banned for accidentally leaking info they thought they could.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    ha.... Well im in on the gamespot dealie... it will ultimately tell me if i purchase...

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    lolfuncom.

But seriously.

Got a beta invite, but I'm not sure if it's for the weekend or otherwise.

My guess is if the e-mail said it was for closed beta, you were in closed beta. Additionally, if the start date in your beta e-mail was prior to the weekend, it probably isn't the weekend beta. That said, as hoodie13 mentioned, the closed beta is under NDA and someone else mentioned that even mentioning you were in the closed beta is under NDA.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    This is from the main forums regarding the beta's:

Please note that the Beta Weekends are separate from the ongoing Beta. We would like to remind everyone of the update we provided recently to those who are eligible for Guaranteed Beta Access by having taken advantage of previous Funcom campaigns available through games such as Age of Conan and Anarchy Online. These will be given access to the ongoing Beta as advertised in the campaign offers, and invites will be sent out this month.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Adda wrote: »
    Get your beta keys here for the first weekend http://www.gamespot.com/event/codes/secret-world-pc/

It's NDA free as well.
    You are a scholar and a gentleman.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    double post - sorry

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    I feel like maybe @Zzulu should change the thread title so people know there are beta keys available for this.

I happen to have a spare key for this beta weekend so if someone wants and does not have a gamespot account to get their own then just ask.

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Louie wrote: »
    I feel like maybe @Zzulu should change the thread title so people know there are beta keys available for this.

I happen to have a spare key for this beta weekend so if someone wants and does not have a gamespot account to get their own then just ask.

I can has? I will send you images of puppies making begging eyes at the camera.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    So this is supposed to be completely NDA-free right?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Arthil wrote: »

Which part? The closed beta or the upcoming beta weekend?

@hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    hoodie13 wrote: »

Upcoming beta weekend, obviously.

• Options
    hoodie13 wrote: »

Upcoming beta weekend, obviously.
    Then yes, as the above posts mention several times the beta weekend is NDA-free.

@hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    Pirate ViperPirate Viper Registered User regular
    Would anyone be interested in putting together something for the public weekends/actual game if people decide to buy it?

• Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    All registered up for this...Funcom always has great ideas but half ass execution, so at the very least some of this game should be fun.

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    registered and Dl's.... but cant play till sunday...

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I might try to hop on during the open beta weekend. I'll be interested to hear people's impressions.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    So funcom still haven't attempted to connect my FB and Funcom account, registered for and am downloading the weekend beta then.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JayeEmmJayeEmm New HampShireRegistered User regular
    I'm in on the gamespot beta weekend - hoping it can live up to at most (or at least some) of it's potential.

• Options
    TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    I wouldn't expect too much, this is just a stress test. But this is FunCom's first public release of the game. I just worry about AoC flashbacks.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    The game releases in a month. What you get this weekend will be very close to the release product unless they delay it.

• Options
    Looking forward to giving it a whirl, looks interesting. I just hope they have more than one weekend planned, and don't pull the "huehuehue here's Tortage it's awesome!" then when you leave it at release... blagh.

• Options
    MoistMoist Registered User regular
    Looking forward to giving it a whirl, looks interesting. I just hope they have more than one weekend planned, and don't pull the "huehuehue here's Tortage it's awesome!" then when you leave it at release... blagh.

There's three weekends planned, one for each starting zone and if I remember correctly another zone like Kingsmouth to test.

• Options
    Pirate ViperPirate Viper Registered User regular
    It's supposed to be every weekend until release starting this weekend I think. I'll try to find the article that said that so I can link it.

• Options
    MoistMoist Registered User regular
    From the open beta forums;
    Frequently asked questions

1. What is a Beta Weekend?
    Funcom will be running several Beta Weekends leading up to launch. During these weekends you will be able to sample a part of the content and gameplay in The Secret World. More content is added from one weekend to the next and character progress is also saved between each Beta Weekend.

• Options
    So. Auth servers down for anyone else?

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Spectrum wrote: »
    So. Auth servers down for anyone else?

Yep.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeffPeff Registered User regular
    Anyone having issues just logging into their account on the site?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Okay, there are some priceless lines of dialogue out there.

re: The Illuminati
    "They dress Ivy League, but they're the frat boys spiking Lady Liberty's drinks with rohypnol at a wet t-shirt contest."

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Can anyone else not see the Blood magic icon to take that as a weapon choice?

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    MortifiedPenguinMortifiedPenguin Registered User regular
    You can use Blood Magic, you just can't take it from the tutorial area. Apparently it isn't completely done yet?

• Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I couldn't ever get confirmation from funcom about my account, so the key I was going to use won't do me any good. :(

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Bunch a pictures from the starting area:
    jlaOA.jpg

MR2vw.jpg

8ukFF.jpg

98HKe.jpg

aEEVR.jpg

ruquc.jpg

HSfWv.jpg

Some brief impressions below:

Character creation

Feels very limited at this stage, could use a couple of sliders. There's pretty much no bodily customization, only the choice of what to wear which while limited in the creator isn't a bad thing as I like the idea of buying clothes and whatnot in-game - suitable in this kinda realistic game imho.

Tutorial

Okay, I was only spoilered a bit in this regard (the whole flashback thing) so I thoroughly enjoyed the start of the game. Some decent VA going on and the story captured my interest despite me not being that big of a horror/conspiracy-fan.

Graphics

It's a very pretty game, but there's nothing really about the style of it that makes me go "wow". I guess it's hard to achieve such an effect in a "normal" area such as London, and I must admit that the more fantastical elements of the game do look pretty neat.

Gameplay

From what I've read of GW2, the combat in Secret War follows the same design. You can equip two different weapons, and skills are dependent on what weapons you have equipped. There looks to be a ton of different skills but that they all kinda depend on a particular type of weapon seems like an unwise design choice - they could have gone a lot more creative and crazy.

SquiddyBiscuit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    Played a bit of this tonight through the starting area into the first 'town' full of zombies and such. Some cool concepts and the VA work is decent. Combat and animation is decent but unremarkable though, I think Conan outdoes this...which seems odd since it was also Funcom. Not to say that it's bad, but it wasn't really thrilling me. Basically you choose a weapon and go with it, get a few direct attacks and one AOE and kind of dial a number it. However you can also dodge attacks by moving, so in that regard it's similar to Conan's. Not sure if it's the same engine or not.

I'll post pics as soon as I can find what freaking folder it's in. Squiddy?

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    Check out the install folder for it, there's a folder called "Screenshots"/"Pictures" in it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Or if you've been pushing prntscreen, or tried to rebind it, that wont work. Gotta have the screenshot as F11.

This discussion has been closed.