As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The I draw stuff because I can place NSFW lots of stuffz on OP

LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Artist's Corner
Heres a intro to all of my older stuff. I will be so busy with constant work that there wont be time to update the front page with single assignments anymore so sad... Oh welllll old stuff old stuff ya ya ya

lots of self portraits connected by hair (Sorry moss! I remembered you liked hair to :<)
IMG_1018.jpg

Impressionistic painting
IMG_1028.jpg

some random face study that made me realize how to draw faces
IMG_0932.jpg

some painting that looks shitty and isn't finished
IMG_0837.jpg

some terrible attempt of a self portrait when I still didn't know how to draw faces
IMG_0836.jpg

In the past stuff (spoilered)
Self portrait
IMG_0741.jpg

Drawing from a dream
IMG_0714.jpg

splat
Loomdun on

• Options
    edited March 2009
    And so for my first. I always experiment with new styles of applying shade. This time I did it by sketching the shade out with 1 direction throughout the entire shade. The transition is a bit rough on shades. I will remember next time to use lighter H pencils, as well as multiple pencils to get a smoother transition. Rather then doing this which was with a 8B

hour and a half
    IMG_0696.jpg

Should I include gesture/ body placement drawings to?

IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    I was halfway through writing a post on how all the pencil shading is one direction then noticed what you wrote so nevermind.

bombardier on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    From what I can remember of your last thread, your gestures are getting better. Now instead of repeating your line three or 4 times use the time spent doing that to knock in some basic tones, to define the big masses.. Im assuming these are from life and the model is well lit.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You also need to do some gestures of people outside of class, without the aid of a model. Focus on getting the energy of the pose rather than making it look nice. Putting in some tones isn't as important as getting the line of motion correct.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    She was well lit and I messed up by going to dark to fast with a 8B, I have had little experience with shading in a life drawing class so it was more of a experiment. Basically what occured is because I used to dark of a pencil she became rippling water practically.

Oh and this is what my stuff looks like in 15-30 seconds.

randomly doodling on the page too

IMG_0702.jpg

I need to get better with lines. My gestures are still weak and I need to eliminate that bad habit of applying 3-4 lines. Kendeathwalker is exactly right, that is what I need to focus on now. So next time I intend to do multiple drawings of the same pose if given 2 minutes to attempt to perfect my line first.

Edit: I personally enjoy 2 minute gesture drawings because it gives you enough time to perform speed schematic checks while drawing. Which is exactly what I am lacking asides lines

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    RadioKillerRadioKiller bringer of death to antiquated technology a methlab in MORegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I say your poses are really good, but there might be something wrong with the proportions of your heads. I'm not sure... I mean.. they just look a little small compared to the shoulders. Then again, it's just my opinion.

RadioKiller on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Nah the head is fine

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    scribbletitties should not be nsfw.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    but theres a BUTT teehehehehee

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Good job Loomdun, you're making me proud. Those gestures are getting much better.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So anywho, I decided to attempt the same style fo shading this time with lighter pencils to start off with, the last one was like a hour and a half or so. probably more but I started with 7B, this time I begun with a 2H and a B, the results where muuchhh much better. Unfortunately we only had 50 minutes per pose. Also we did this outside in the sun which was really fun.

50 minutes (omg I got a back again) the legs look confusing since theres no shade on it, she had the right over the left and.. whatever its not even shaded so who cares

IMG_0704.jpg

50 minutes (my teacher decided to join the pose) CHARLIE ANGEL STYLE!!

IMG_0705.jpg

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    zzzzzzzzz i've spent like 30 minutes on this piece of poop (after spending time planning it in my sketchbook of course)

anyways I plan to update this whenever I take a break. The assignments due in 2 days and tommorow i'll be painting for 12 hours so I have no freaking clue how i'm gonna finish this. But I always manage to do things that shouldn't be physically possible. SO THIS SHOULD BE FUN

IMG_0709.jpg

drawing from a dream I had a while ago

the updates will of course be in the OP

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    No more sweets before bed mister. I'm putting my foot down on this one.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    my happy dreams are boring, I usually just see smiling people and have hugs.

The rest of thsy dream was pretty bad though. Probably one of my worst, the mask kept getting twisted up closer to my face in a circle and then connected to it was a string of muscles that created some form of a blobbish face. And a body was being lifted up from a drapery almost form of blood that was cuagulating in a churning circle. Then it was being twisted out so much and fast that the blood was spraying out from the sides of the mask and the entire neck was being ripped off while the body was lifted up, ohhhhh meeee

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Loomdun wrote: »

IMG_0705.jpg

proportions are very off on this one
    look at her torso in relation to her thighs
    it looks like you were trying for foreshortening but it's all too flat, making it just look like she has really stunted legs.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    er, I know it really really will sound cliche of me when I say this but that one specific model literally has a bubble body torso and skinny scrawny legs/feet, we have her often to. The leg isn't fore-shortening but I've heard this before last time I had her. I don't even know what to do about it asides try drawing it. (the bottom right one)

I'm sure I did something wrong but I would need to get that model in a standing pose to show you what I mean.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    edit: the more i look at it, the more it looks like they might be the right length but there is still something very off here
    it could be that her head looks enormous.
    she looks like a cartoon character or something.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Like I just said this specific model has a very strange body, her ribs seem like they have somehow expanded so her intire body looks stretched out. And she has very scrawny skinny legs that seem awkwardly spread out.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    heads are huge, and the forms are poorly defined due to lack of contrast.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh you people are confusing me, which one is it. Do you think heads are to big or to small!

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So since my heads are both to big and to small my only option is to draw watermelons instead. just kiddinggg.

But seriously, today I had the honor of working with probably one of the worst ever models ever. The split second he stood there, his head started bobbing about. Every single minute he would go "uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnh" as if some invisible clown was having sex with him the entire session. he would dangle and wobble about and he would stare down at the timer to see how much time he had left even though it beeps for him. Also he constantly moved to itch himself. I wanted to throw my pencil at him

AND THIS GIRL KEEPS STARING AT ME AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH I'LL STAB YOU HOE.

50 minutes
    IMG_0713.jpg

oh and his right foot is on a pillow. I was to agitated to remember to draw it which is why the left one is slightly lower.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    there is no possible way that the man had ankles that thin loom
    i am straight up calling you out on copping out making excuses saying your models are bad
    that's a pretty awful habit to get into
    just accept the crits and the fact that you need a lot of practice.

beavotron on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Do what beavo says Loom, she's coming off a juggernaut rage

Tam on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    also them hands be tinnnnyyy
    again, your proportions are all off

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Okayyyyy, I never said the other models are bad, this one model was just grrrrr. I do need to get better at talking back to critiques though, I usually make a bunch of noises and grunts and wobble about. without any real thanks but try to fix what was said wrong anyways when no one is looking.

i'm reallllly bad at just saying "okay" soo from now on i'm just gonna try that

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Okayyyyy, I never said the other models are bad, this one model was just grrrrr. I do need to get better at talking back to critiques though, I usually make a bunch of noises and grunts and wobble about. without any real thanks but try to fix what was said wrong anyways when no one is looking.

i'm reallllly bad at just saying "okay" soo from now on i'm just gonna try that

yeah when you start saying okay and stop trying to fight it, you all of a sudden start getting better
    it's like magic
    the magic of admitting you're not as awesome as you think you are.

beavotron on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I usually make a bunch of noises and grunts and wobble about.
    This...
    you probably.. should not.... do this...
    I mean I know its Loom
    but that's pretty creepy

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    When i'm bored, I sometimes like to take all of my archived old studies and sketchbooks and throw them all on the ground then roll around on them and crawl through them like i'm crawling through a pile of leafs.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think we all do that.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Oh look, its a self portrait. And I did it without fucking up horribly for once. Something I've learned recently is starting your stuff with alot darker pencils (I like 7B's) makes erasing and smoothing out the shade once you start applying it actually makes it easier because the darker pencils are easier to erase. Kinda silly that I didn't know that.

IMG_0737.jpg

It's a assignment and i'm very surprised how quickly and effortlessly I made this in comparison to how badly I was struggling to a forward self portrait a while back.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ohman ohman your arm looks so busted, harry potter. The magic-making hand is actually pretty good, but your arms are both twisted at incredibly unnatural angles. This from a photo, or a mirror, or?? Also, the lines that connect your nose to your mouth are so obviously tilted, and that should be a good sign for you that your face may be a bit off angle.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The entire face is tilted, unless your saying the little thing that leads down to the moth is more tilted then the face? I'm not sure what you mean and I gotta go but once i get back I better see what you meannn about the top armmm

Oh by the way, the top arm is facing out and in, if your saying the unnatural angle is being up and down. This was done from a mirror. Pretty sure your just thinking its facing up and down because theres no shade, and I possibly might have not made the cloth small enough by the elbow to indicate it moving out.

Looking at it, I might have the top hand far to out (Making the arm seem longer then it should) because of how it is suppose to be angle. durrr randomly staring at it, it should be a easy fix though if it is to far out It's easy to erase.

Yah oops I stretched the arm out. My fault for not pre-planning it in my sketchbook completely

oh crap and I stretched out the little thingy below the nose thanks for pointing that out I still make tons of horrible mistakes when I try stuff like this. Such a cluts

Anyways edit one last time: I'm gonna fix those two things then i'll update it

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    anyways thank you kochiken for the critique, I have now fixed and updated the assignment in my OP, that post above me was me rambling while staring at everything.

If there isn't anything else wrong with it i'm going to begin adding in the final solid foundation lines, finish the hands and start shading

Oh and the assignment project was this is a representational peice of a self portrait. The back half is my trench coat (representing what I wore and being in the past) The trench coat half is creating the current me half (me in a normal long sleeve shirt) I'm going to have about 15 different little meanings in this drawing but anyways time to work on it.

IMG_0738.jpg

Might as well link the update here to just because I want people to double check

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Anyways updated my work, sorry that i don't have any model drawings to also update today, but yahhhh it was um critique day. Already raged in the chat thread about it, oh well. I GUESS THAT WAS FUN TO YUP.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    i couldn't find the part where you raged about your critique day
    but i did find the part where you boasted that people in your class must be wondering what you're doing there because you're so much better than them

loom i'm going to say something that you really need to hear
    that may not sound nice
    but you are not nearly as good as you seem to think you are.

now take that with however many grains of salt you need, and work to improve
    but thinking that you're better than anyone or better than you are is not going to do anything for your art skills and will only hold you back.

beavotron on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Something I've learned recently is starting your stuff with alot darker pencils (I like 7B's) makes erasing and smoothing out the shade once you start applying it actually makes it easier because the darker pencils are easier to erase. Kinda silly that I didn't know that.

If you are going to take a drawing to a fully rendered finish, (which I think you should attempt with this because you will learn more) then starting with a really heavy pencil like that is a bad idea.

The reason you are probably getting frustrated by the higher H pencils is most likely because you are grinding them into the paper. Just use a lighter touch and don't choke the pencil.

Also, nothing about that self portrait is correct. Everything is wrong. So you should be proud of your improvement but not of that actual self portrait.

Ill list just a few basic problems

The face is to large.
    The arm closest to us the length of the upper arm is ridiculously long. Like your knuckles would drag on the ground long. Between the elbow and wrist it is too long as well.

The hands are too large . I do not think that distortion is intentional

are you leaning against a cushion or something? Otherwise you are missing a Ribcage and shoulder blades.

I can continue but you need to correct the basic mistakes before you can move on.

At this point I really dont think you should be attempting to go for a finished line drawing. Because You are just trying to copy the "outline" of the forms you are seeing with out actually understanding the forms. Just look at those eyes or that mouth. When you start attempting to bring tone into this it should jump out at you that your "outlines" are off. (Also your line quality is pretty awful)

Also if teachers are praising you as a prodigy or something they are doing you a disservice. Looking at this drawing outside of the context of your improvment.. It is terrible.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    oi I have such a bad headache but thank you for the honesty in contrast to hands/head, the hand seems like it would properly cover the face in size, but you are right on the arm being to long. As for the back, it was me roughly floundering uselessly with a pencil without even thinking about the anatomy completely.

I'm currently in a lot of pain and I can barely pull out these assignments in even half complete. My line work is indeed shoddy and I do need to study it. But I'm in to much pain to do anything about it. I literally cant push myself anymore then I am already trying to.

The teachers do praise me so I don't really listen to them but I do pay attention to there styles of shading. Everyone praises and its annoying because I know i'm not good and they aren't helping me.

There technically isn't even a body in the drawing to be honest it was just quick strokes of something random.

edit: zzz i'm a wreck and i'm going to take this upcoming week off drawing to heal some, I hate how weak I am

Edit again: What am I suppose to do? I'm being praised by all these people I know I'm bad, but this school isn't with people who major as a artist and therefore know how to even do basics. I'm not saying i'm amazing but this school i'm at. They just, I don't even know, I want to go to some place where I can feel like I fit in with the people.

To many things going on with me in life, I've been trying to just keep myself art related but theres to many things going on now that not even Ican keep contently burrowed and kept in the dark I have to go I may return in a few months maybe i'm sorry goodbye. thank you

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    Ahhhhh change back to your old avatar!

bombardier on
  • Options
    Christopher1Christopher1 __BANNED USERS new member
    edited March 2009
    Hi its looks very nice pencil shading thanks for sharing,,,,,,,,

Christopher1 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh man, Loomdun performing dark necromancy on a terrible thread that involved things IRL that I prefer remain un-known and me collapsing on myself for a while.

anyways

I kind of put in the title the only two projects i've posted in spoiler since they are now technically old. Even though its been only like a month or something but that's a-lot of time for me

so here's a model drawing. Elevated position (for me) looking down, while model was laying on the floor with a mattress, my teacher is so weird, she gave me this stand to sit on.

1 and a 1/2 hour, Breaks in between I shaded random objects around the place.

(yes I know the hand looks shitty my bad)
    IMG_0846.jpg

Any comments on this will be appreciates I intend to start shading it at 5:30 today or in other words, 30 minute break.

IMG_0992.jpg

This is my second attempt at painting with color on oils, third attempt painting with oil in general, the eye was the first thing I started on so yes it looks like complete shit It's not finished and I think i'll leave it like this because it failed so badly

IMG_0837.jpg

Me doing a impressionistic style painting, it's not done I spent only about 7 hours on this and it's 20X24, Once I get back to class i'll be doing the far background it currently is done incorectly, the tree blending in the gray/blue has to be re-worked because it collides with the horizon incorrectly which distorts the rest of the image. And I need to add another layer to the ground.

IMG_0950.jpg

Loomdun on
    splat