As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Guitar Shop in Austin

Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fastAustinRegistered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
This thread is directed at those few guys in Austin who play guitar that post here, but if anyone else knows the answer for some reason, hit me up.

The nut on my electric fucking broke. It's a 1997 Fender California Series Strat, I got it used from craigslist. It's been a great guitar for me for the last year and a half or so, but the dude who had it before me had the neck redone and whoever did it fucked up when they were replacing the nut. However, it was playable and stable (plus I was poor), so I didn't really worry about it. Until today, when the fucking thing broke off from the notch the B string occupies to the end. That's mostly venting. Here comes the question:

Does anyone know of a good guitar shop in Austin where I could get this taken care of in a relatively short amount of time by a competent individual for not a billion dollars? I want to avoid a place like Guitar Center if possible because I don't trust them, but if that's the best around, that's where I'll go.

camo_sig2.png
Mad Jazz on

• Options
    Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    GC in Austin doesn't do any sort of repairs. The guys there reccomended me South Austin Music when I got my guitar to get it set up (never actually did though, it was pretty much perfect from the getgo). They're the main name that I've heard when it comes to getting guitar work done. I'd also try Music Makers on Barton Springs too.

Ramen Noodle on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Replacing the nut should be extremely easy, I would think. I'm not sure exactly what kind that particular guitar has, but if it's like my Ibanez, it's just a matter of unscrewing the screws, pulling the old one off, and screwing the new one in.

That said, I had pretty good experiences with Brook Mays at Lamar and Ben White. I don't know if they do their repairs in house, though.

Sir Carcass on