Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Stephen Colbert's [chat] Jansen

245

Posts

  • PodlyPodly good moleman to youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    font duders

    What do you think would be a good font for the word "yacht?"

    I'm thinking maybe Frutiger light?

    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    hlB028K.png?1
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar | 3DS: 3110-5421-3843 | SS Wishlists |
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar QA Tester -> Game Producer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So as of last night I am jobless and homeless.

    And I got some cuddles and kisses from the local girl. I have been missing those kisses for YEARS. <3

    freefallagentad_zps635a83ed.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What you should use echo is the woman in your avatar

    Sigh I just love questions I don't like talking about.
    My break from dating in general and how long it has been has made me really sad because of all the rather stupid and painful memories it brings back

    A.jpg
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    font duders

    What do you think would be a good font for the word "yacht?"

    I'm thinking maybe Frutiger light?
    Ventilate AOE

    edit: http://www.fontspace.com/astigmatic-one-eye-typographic-institute/ventilate-aoe

    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • EchoEcho staring is caring Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    Aww, look at Podly trying to be all designery.

  • PodlyPodly good moleman to youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    font duders

    What do you think would be a good font for the word "yacht?"

    I'm thinking maybe Frutiger light?
    Ventilate AOE

    edit: http://www.fontspace.com/astigmatic-one-eye-typographic-institute/ventilate-aoe

    Oh shit, that is good!

    @Echo: Man, I work at a graphic arts lab! :P

    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    hlB028K.png?1
  • PodlyPodly good moleman to youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    On second though, Aldo, that is a pretty awesome 80's font, but I think it's more camero and less Miami.

    edit* On third thought, that might be a good font for drink specials, time, etc.

    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    hlB028K.png?1
  • EchoEcho staring is caring Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    If the question involves a font, Helvetica Neue can never be the wrong answer.

    yacht.png

  • PodlyPodly good moleman to youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh Helvetica Neue -- especially the light and ultra light -- is an amazing font. (I'm a big fan of utilitarian fonts.) But it is seriously played out in NYC.

    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    hlB028K.png?1
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Do you like dags? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm just going to take a stab and say you aren't at work, Mr. P-o-d and throw this link to your attention

    You're amateur, man!

    I think the samples he uses are a little coarse but I like the overall sound, it gets kind of loud at times so don't blow out your ears. It's very weird, but I thought it was good.

    EDIT: You want a played out font? Go for bauhaus 93, ahahaha.

    RonaldoTheGypsy.png
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    On second though, Aldo, that is a pretty awesome 80's font, but I think it's more camero and less Miami.

    edit* On third thought, that might be a good font for drink specials, time, etc.
    I don't think I have a specific font for that theme.

    Podly on a yacht
    Podly on a yacht
    Podly on a yacht

    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • PodlyPodly good moleman to youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ronaldo, I hate to dump on your friend, but I'm not a big fan. (Although I'm not a big dnb guy, so take my opinion with a big grain of salt.) I like the rhythm part, but the rest I'm kinda meh. Are those samples or synths going on? Because they lock too much into a digital grid for my tastes.

    Tell him too keep at it though, because it does show great promise!

    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    hlB028K.png?1
  • EchoEcho staring is caring Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    Hah, FontCase has Quenya and Klingon as sample text for body text. :P

    Klingon looks totally serious in Comic Sans!

    klingon.png

  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Do you like dags? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    Ronaldo, I hate to dump on your friend, but I'm not a big fan. (Although I'm not a big dnb guy, so take my opinion with a big grain of salt.) I like the rhythm part, but the rest I'm kinda meh. Are those samples or synths going on? Because they lock too much into a digital grid for my tastes.

    Tell him too keep at it though, because it does show great promise!

    I'm not exactly sure what his production was, and though he's a friend of mine I won't proselytize people to his work - I was just sharing it to get opinions, really - in the same way that he sent it to me saying that he thought I "might like it".

    No worries, sir. To be honest, parts of it reminded me of old game BGMs and I think that in and of itself made me enjoy the first half of it especially. But yeah, he's doing a whole album of stuff, this was a "small sample" he gave out.

    I've been recently getting into Ratatat, which isn't really house like my usual preferences and is more straight electronica but it has a distinct rock sound to it.

    RonaldoTheGypsy.png
  • PodlyPodly good moleman to youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Not a big fan of ratatat. I think they're this year's Justice: they have one sound that they do well, but they don't stray from it.

    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    hlB028K.png?1
  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I must admit, of all the occupations of Podly to ever guess, graphic artist was probably never on the radar.

    Philosopher God-King and Emperor were pretty high though.

  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Do you like dags? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    Not a big fan of ratatat. I think they're this year's Justice: they have one sound that they do well, but they don't stray from it.

    It's true, listening to Kennedy and then Wildcat and then a few other songs I was like, "Wait, did I just listen to one song?" but if I can add one song to my faves playlist I find it worth it to tell people that I enjoyed X or Y band. I don't have several hours of DJing to fill, haha. Just a soundtrack to run while I play games and bother people in [chat].

    Somebody tried to get me into Aphex Twins, I found them a little too 'hard' for my tastes.

    RonaldoTheGypsy.png
  • EchoEcho staring is caring Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    Bleh. Back to cleaning the apartment.

    So much accumulated junk to throw away.

  • ZimmydoomZimmydoom Registered User
    edited March 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    Oh Helvetica Neue -- especially the light and ultra light -- is an amazing font. (I'm a big fan of utilitarian fonts.) But it is seriously played out in NYC.

    Podly you are like friggin' Columbus over here. I'm pretty sure this is the first time ever that somebody has claimed a font was "played out," let alone "played out in NYC." This is positively historic. It's like being around for Obama's victory speech all over again!

    I'm going to tell my kids about this, some day.

    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Spoiler:
  • PodlyPodly good moleman to youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    I must admit, of all the occupations of Podly to ever guess, graphic artist was probably never on the radar.

    Philosopher God-King and Emperor were pretty high though.

    It's just a college gig. I can do my homework while I maintain the computers and do updates and shit. (I don't work in the actual publication. I'm the IT part.)

    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    hlB028K.png?1
  • ZimmydoomZimmydoom Registered User
    edited March 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    Hah, FontCase has Quenya and Klingon as sample text for body text. :P

    Klingon looks totally serious in Comic Sans!

    klingon.png

    Everything looks like it's written backwards.

    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Spoiler:
  • PodlyPodly good moleman to youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    Oh Helvetica Neue -- especially the light and ultra light -- is an amazing font. (I'm a big fan of utilitarian fonts.) But it is seriously played out in NYC.

    Podly you are like friggin' Columbus over here. I'm pretty sure this is the first time ever that somebody has claimed a font was "played out," let alone "played out in NYC." This is positively historic. It's like being around for Obama's victory speech all over again!

    I'm going to tell my kids about this, some day.

    Ummm... Helvetica is the most popular design font in the world. Hell, the MTA has ordered their designers to ONLY use Helvetica on ALL their fonts, and every hipster in the fucking world uses Helvetica Neue on their flyers / websites.

    But that's because it's such an efficient font.

    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    hlB028K.png?1
  • EchoEcho staring is caring Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    I have a soft spot for Gill Sans Light.

    gill.png

    Right. Cleaning. Off I go.

  • ZimmydoomZimmydoom Registered User
    edited March 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    Oh Helvetica Neue -- especially the light and ultra light -- is an amazing font. (I'm a big fan of utilitarian fonts.) But it is seriously played out in NYC.

    Podly you are like friggin' Columbus over here. I'm pretty sure this is the first time ever that somebody has claimed a font was "played out," let alone "played out in NYC." This is positively historic. It's like being around for Obama's victory speech all over again!

    I'm going to tell my kids about this, some day.

    Ummm... Helvetica is the most popular design font in the world. Hell, the MTA has ordered their designers to ONLY use Helvetica on ALL their fonts, and every hipster in the fucking world uses Helvetica Neue on their flyers / websites.

    But that's because it's such an efficient font.

    Dude I'm just giving you a hard time. You have to admit, the idea that someone would care enough about fonts to follow and comment on "font fashion" is pretty silly unless they did graphic design for a living.

    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Spoiler:
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Do you like dags? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Helvetica is a good standard, Perpetua is a personal favorite. Lousy fonts ... we don't get to mess with them in design when working on the paper, the design editor and managing editor do all those decisions.

    RonaldoTheGypsy.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fucking font nerds

    Per3th.jpg
  • PodlyPodly good moleman to youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    You have to admit, the idea that someone would care enough about fonts to follow and comment on "font fashion" is pretty silly unless they did graphic design for a living.

    You'd be surprised about the design literacy of people living in downtown Manhattan: especially the grimy hipsters and trust-funders who would go to my party.

    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    hlB028K.png?1
  • EchoEcho staring is caring Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Do you like dags? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Elendil wrote: »
    Fucking font nerds

    Fucking anime nerd.

    RonaldoTheGypsy.png
  • PodlyPodly good moleman to youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    what do we think about the futura light oblique?
    Spoiler:

    edit* hrmmmm I should shrink the size of the music description and snug it under the Y

    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    hlB028K.png?1
  • EchoEcho staring is caring Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    I was actually going to throw Futura Medium at you. :P

  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Do you like dags? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    what do we think about the futura light oblique?
    Spoiler:

    edit* hrmmmm I should shrink the size of the music description and snug it under the Y

    Something about the composition ... i'unno.

    RonaldoTheGypsy.png
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    What is "yacht rock"?

    @nealcm @faynor
    nerdgasmic.gif1420 6068 6113 - XBL Atomoclassic
  • PodlyPodly good moleman to youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    oh the layout sucks

    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    hlB028K.png?1
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Do you like dags? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    oh the layout sucks

    The font is nice, though.

    RonaldoTheGypsy.png
  • ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    not really feeling the oblique

    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • PodlyPodly good moleman to youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    What is "yacht rock"?

    akin to one of the songs I posted earlier and italo from the 80's

    basically think of dance version of this:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQtlrBziyzI

    One of my favorite songs ever

    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    hlB028K.png?1
  • TalkcTalkc Registered User
    edited March 2009
    Elendil wrote: »
    Fucking font nerds

    I can't even name a font off the top of my head. These guys are talking about them like they are modeling them down the runway.

    I bet i could ask one of you what font the word Taco would look good in, and i would get a response.

  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    I'd never realized how terrible I would be at being a hipster.

    @nealcm @faynor
    nerdgasmic.gif1420 6068 6113 - XBL Atomoclassic
This discussion has been closed.