As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dwarf Fortress: Knowing no mercy, Toady One destroyed our lives!

• Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    jdarksun wrote: »
    The horrible part about it is: 5:00PM *blink* 8:00PM *blink* 11:30PM *blink* 4:15AM?!? I have to keep something going in the background (movie, podcast, whatever) just so I don't forget to breathe.
    Few games can steal time like Dwarf Fortress can. I truly fear for the world if this game was ever to become mainstream.

On the plus side we wouldn't have any more wars. Just tantrums.

Verr on
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Verr wrote: »
    The horrible part about it is: 5:00PM *blink* 8:00PM *blink* 11:30PM *blink* 4:15AM?!? I have to keep something going in the background (movie, podcast, whatever) just so I don't forget to breathe.
    Few games can steal time like Dwarf Fortress can. I truly fear for the world if this game was ever to become mainstream.

On the plus side we wouldn't have any more wars. Just tantrums.

I am throwing a tantrum right now. I just started another fort and what do I find?

wtfman.PNG

Catten decided to throw a fucking party, not only that three others decided they would attend!

Lux782 on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That's why I never assign meeting areas.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    If you can afford wasted labour, you aren't thinking big enough.

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Stared a new fortress a couple of days ago. Going well so far. Have a volcano and am slowly enacting plans to set up magma furnaces. Need magma-proof stone though. Am scowering local rock salt deposits for bauxite, no luck so far.

Sheriff position remains vacant.

Fire Imp came up out of volcano and started a forest fire, luckily fire does not go up hill.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Stared a new fortress a couple of days ago. Going well so far. Have a volcano and am slowly enacting plans to set up magma furnaces. Need magma-proof stone though. Am scowering local rock salt deposits for bauxite, no luck so far.
    You don't need magma-proof material to make magma furnaces. Any stone (and an anvil) will do.

And while bauxite is pretty rare around volcanoes, there are plenty other magma-safe materials out there.

I need it for the flood gates (specifically the mechanisms that run the flood gates) that will regulate the magma. Though I can probably set up the furnaces without it. But if I want obsidian molds or to use it to destroy attacking armies, I'm going to need bauxite.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    If you can afford wasted labour, you aren't thinking big enough.
    A glass city on the bottom of the ocean isn't big enough?

What's the point of a glass city on the bottom of the ocean if there isn't a five-tile-wide road that leads to it with a massive multi-level stone arrow pointing the way? :P

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, just read up on nobles. And the room requirements. And tombs. I dread the day I have to house them.

I found a menu where you can view a noble's needs in-game, on accident at that. u for the unit list, and scroll down to the noble (or military official or captain of the guard) and hit v, and it'll show you what you have going for them. I also learned that designating items as belonging to a certain individual is a bad move (because you have to establish it as a separate room, unless they ask for a dining room). So when they want chests and cabinets and armor racks and weapon racks... it just has to occupy space in their bedroom.

I'm kicking myself in the ass for not building 5x5 rooms for my captain and mayor. 4x4 and 3x5, respectively.

Henroid on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    So when they want chests and cabinets and armor racks and weapon racks... it just has to occupy space in their bedroom.

I'm kicking myself in the ass for not building 5x5 rooms for my captain and mayor. 4x4 and 3x5, respectively.

It doesn't have to be in their bedroom, just in one of their room(s).

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, just read up on nobles. And the room requirements. And tombs. I dread the day I have to house them.

I found a menu where you can view a noble's needs in-game, on accident at that. u for the unit list, and scroll down to the noble (or military official or captain of the guard) and hit v, and it'll show you what you have going for them. I also learned that designating items as belonging to a certain individual is a bad move (because you have to establish it as a separate room, unless they ask for a dining room). So when they want chests and cabinets and armor racks and weapon racks... it just has to occupy space in their bedroom.

You can get a 4x4 room up to legendary quality. Just need to smooth it, then much later when you have a legendary engraver have him engrave all the walls. Put in some platinum / aluminum furniture.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I just put offices and dining rooms for my nobles-types in a seperate seciton of the fort so they can be large and filled with the crap they want.

Also, windows. They love windows. Even gem windows. Makes a room very nice to a noble.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So you may ask, how does one with 7 dwarves destroy a demon pit during the first winter year?

Simple really, here is an image before my WMD

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5091-region2

Here is an image after the WMD

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5092-region2

Here is an image of their corpses (along with many of their slaves)
    diedemons.PNG

Take that demons!

Lux782 on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What did that do to the Adamantine?

I can see how having access to Adamantine armorearly in the game would be pretty cool.

Vic on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So I think I just need to start a fortress away from magma. I have a magma pool here, and I just tried to build my magma forge there. An imp came out, so I switched three dwarves to military dwarves, and the two wardogs handled it. Then my axedwarf decided that he was going to take down the other imps and jumped into the magma after them. I'm really not sure how I can handle something like that.

Edit: It's been a long time since I've played.

piL on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Vic wrote: »

I can see how having access to Adamantine armorearly in the game would be pretty cool.

Oh no I just wanted to see what would happen if I did that. It would be HORRIBLE to have adamantine early on. When my wave of migrants came guess who also joined? A king. How the hell am I suppose to support a king who constantly demands the production of adamantine objects and mass mining? All forts I have had that were going well died very quickly once the king came. If my miners didnt mine what he wanted? He would punish them ALL. Some of them 100 days in jail or 100 hammerings! The king is death!

Lux782 on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lux782 wrote: »
    Vic wrote: »

Oh no I just wanted to see what would happen if I did that. It would be HORRIBLE to have adamantine early on. When my wave of migrants came guess who also joined? A king. How the hell am I suppose to support a king who constantly demands the production of adamantine objects and mass mining? All forts I have had that were going well died very quickly once the king came. If my miners didnt mine what he wanted? He would punish them ALL. Some of them 100 days in jail or 100 hammerings! The king is death!

Maybe it's the fact that there's no adamantine to be had, but my kingly experience in Syrupdwellings seems to be that he just loafs around like any other noble. Hasn't even made any mandates.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Why can't you just put a magma tube in each of the nobles' rooms? When they start getting uppity, flood the noble chambers with hot cleansing lava.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Spindrift wrote: »
    TheKoolEagle got possessed and took over a carpentry shop (the one I allowed only him to work at anyhow) and went to work when he grabbed a single stack of logs.

The result?

legendarybarrel.jpg

You can never have too many barrels.

Now all it needs is some artifact beer.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

You can get a 4x4 room up to legendary quality. Just need to smooth it, then much later when you have a legendary engraver have him engrave all the walls. Put in some platinum / aluminum furniture.

You can't smooth / engrave clay walls!

... And if you can, then I'm retarded.

Okay so anyway, I have my first smelting / metalsmith area setup and running and it's so fucking awesome. As are my weapon traps of serrated blade doom (one all-glass, the other is a mix of steel, glass, and spiked balls and such) (the third sucks, just a bunch of random swords and daggers).

I'm dreading the return of the human caravan. When they last visited, a goblin team ambushed them right as they were entering my base. I didn't have much of an army then, and they were slow to react. But it was already too late. The humans took off (except the deligate) and they left some shit behind. Which means they're going to want money for it. Hopefully they don't like, raid me.

I have two fully armed and functional army squads though, even with some armor. My Fort Guard team is the same. Feel a tad bit secure, but not secure enough. Food and drink stores are bursting, wish I had better lumber intake since I need charcoal to run everything. Too scared to dig down deep in the mine shafts.

Here's a snapshot (poorly compressed post-BMP) of my fort, at the main level (which is where my wagon was when I started). The very southern end, where the long halls and granite are, rest alongside an aquifer (one of many I've stumbled across). The weird symbols all on the west side are being replicated up on the floor above, though I have yet to fill those up with dwarven cheap housing. Along the north side of the fort are the three animal pens, a stairwell going down, down, down to my river access, and the unused cloth-related shits.

The mayor's room / office is right in the middle of the fort, and that small cluster sees a ton of traffic. North of the trade depot is the barracks (north of it is the Captain of the Guard's office), with the armory underneath. South of the depot is the furnace extraveganza, and east of the depot is where my awesome first traps are. There will be more.

I'm only 3 floors above the very bottom of the valley I inhabit, with a thin river going in a zig-zag. My mine shaft only goes down like 16 floors at the moment. And I have a ton of totems to give away.

... I'm really proud of this fort, even if it is dysfunctional.

Henroid on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What? A hundred hammerings per dwarf? All at once?

JJ on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Dolomite! The tough black mineral that won't cop out when there's heat all about.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Just build another set of stone walls inside the clay and smooth/engrave that. You'll have to expand the room one tile in each direction, though, to keep the same square footage.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    hmxmoss wrote: »
    Lux782 wrote: »
    BTW, the reports of my death have been grossly exaggerated.

No you most definitely died. Check the graveyard area on the lowest level.

I looked through all the deceased units in the units list and didn't see my name there... and the living 'hmxmoss' certainly looks like the ranger I once knew. I'll check the graveyard when I start it later today... but I think whoever is dead and using my name, if true, is an imposter.

Checked the graveyard, and I'm not there (though wavecutter is). So, as I said, not dead. Not unless someone covered up the evidence and gave my name to an imposter! Hmm...

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    SulSeekerSulSeeker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My dorfs eat good.
    ROAST.jpg

SulSeeker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    SulSeeker wrote: »
    My dorfs eat good.
    ROAST.jpg

Hmm. Leaves and cheese? :P

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If goat cheese is made out of goat's milk, what is dwarven cheese made out of?

freakish light on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's things like that which make me love this game... even though I have no fucking clue how to play it.

Adus on
  • Options
    SulSeekerSulSeeker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Eh, I was just looking at the price of the roast... and I was all O_O

SulSeeker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    If goat cheese is made out of goat's milk, what is dwarven cheese made out of?

Purring maggot milk.

NEO|Phyte on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Oh yeah, I knew that. Milking purring maggots is something I've always [strike]had nightmares about[/strike] wanted to do.

Completely forgot until right now though.

freakish light on
  • Options
    sgt robsgt rob Pure Rock Fury Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    dfhorse958.jpg

so...yeah...
    it appears this dwarf is unconcious out in a field and there are horses nearby, don't know why it keeps giving me that message about the horses interupting him since they aren't even near him. also, i think it's slowing down my game.
    halp? D:

sgt rob on
    Alien imposter. Pretender. I'll keep you safe now. Close to my heart.
  • Options
    Guysmiley777Guysmiley777 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Soooo... my elite marksman suffered a lost eye and a moderately wounded brain. That seems bad. Are brain injuries modeled?

Guysmiley777 on
  • Options
    comical_octopicomical_octopi Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Does anyone know of a way to get the May Green tileset version of the game to run on OS X? My laptop is a Mac, and I'd like to take the fancy version on the go with me.

For the kicks. And the inevitable destruction of my dwarven people.

comical_octopi on
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Does anyone know of a way to get the May Green tileset version of the game to run on OS X? My laptop is a Mac, and I'd like to take the fancy version on the go with me.

Do a little research on the wiki about custom graphicsets.

Basically, you could just download the maygreen edition and copy the graphics and the neccesary text files over. I'm not sure what all makes the mac version different, but if it's just the executable, you could even just copy a mac version and overwrite the windows one.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Just build another set of stone walls inside the clay and smooth/engrave that. You'll have to expand the room one tile in each direction, though, to keep the same square footage.

You can't engrave constructed walls.

Last Son on
  • Options
    comical_octopicomical_octopi Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ah, I had made the assumption that the May Green version was more intricately tied into the graphics it used. All is well, just swapped the .app with the .exe, and all is beautiful. Thanks!

comical_octopi on
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Last Son wrote: »

You can't engrave constructed walls.

Which is a crying shame.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dolomite! The tough black mineral that won't cop out when there's heat all about.

It's Dolomite baby!

Brian on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh Goddamnit, I lost my woodcutter and the two wardogs I had with him to the famed Gebnitig "Dented Bites"...

The fucking carp.

piL on
  • Options
    mongrolmongrol Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Download DFG from may green. Download official OSX DF. Copy official Mac DF .app file into DFG folder. Run DF, cuddle dwarfs.

mongrol on