Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Ninja Gaiden 2: Sigma. It's out. PS3 only. Sixaxis jiggle woo!

Page-Page- Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Games and Technology
watergaiden-1.jpg

Yes, it's coming for PS3. And it's not a port, it's a remake or upgrade, or whatever devspeak word you like.

New features include:

- New boss fights and enemies.
- New weapon (giant hammer "Genma"), a new cannon/rocket launcher for Ryu, and it looks like a bunch of returning weapons from Ninja Gaiden.
- Three new playable characters: Ayane, Momiji (from Ninja Gaiden: DS), and Rachel, who's been reworked and now has a machine gun and some fancy magic.
- A noticeable lack of blood.

So, will 360 players get the shaft? The original Sigma had more than Black, besides just the updated graphics. Other than that, though, Itagaki -- who is no longer with Tecmo anyways -- was not impressed: "All you need to do is play Ninja Gaiden II and then try and play Sigma afterwards and you'll see why. Despite the fact that it's on a 'next-generation' console there's no evolution whatsoever. That was made not by me, but one of my sub-ordinates who basically tried to copy the success of Ninja Gaiden."

Sigma 2 is being made by the same guy who made Sigma. Now, if he was trying to be a dick, then Sigma 2 will definitely be PS3 exclusive; Itagaki was a big supporter of the Xbox consoles and was notoriously outspoken about Eastern and Western game design, amongst other things. And PS3 owners can finally say they got one over the 360 crowd.

Sigma 2 is now targeted at a 3rd Quarter '09 release, PS3 exclusive.

Screenshots
Spoiler:

Ayane gameplay part 1
Ayane gameplay part 2
Interview and Rachel reveal

Page- on
(Mostly) Competitive Gaming Blog Updated November 18th. I'd rather fight monsters than demons
stream
«134567

Posts

  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I hope it gets a release on the 360 because I love the first one and I'd buy it again for a new level/weapon/character and camera/bug fixes.

    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    FUCK YES.

    This was THE game that kept making me think, "I should replace my 360". You just saved me $200, Tecmo. Well, technically $140, but still. Awesome.

    rvcontre78 wrote:
    This game is all about the racism. I hate to think about all the backlash that will be involved but the truth must be told. The truth about a man who kills people by dropping them from his crane. Political correctness be damned. Damned to the max.
  • AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    "Only for Xbox 360" like Resident Evil 2 was "Only for Nintendo64"?

    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I thought only Sony lost exclusives?

    Jokes aside, nice to see this coming. I really want to grab the first one for my PS3 as well, but I never got around to it. It's rather cheap now too.

  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I thought only Sony lost exclusives?

    Jokes aside, nice to see this coming. I really want to grab the first one for my PS3 as well, but I never got around to it. It's rather cheap now too.

    This happens often. Games just get ported to other consoles with updates. I expect it with this game because of the original xbox doing the same thing.

    It was like when RE4 came out and they said it was exclusive. I even have a gamecase saying "Only for Nintendo Gamecube" on it. But then came out for PS2. So. yeah. It just happens.

    Not to sound like a 360 crazed fan above. Its definitely about time we lost something.

    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, I know consoles lose exclusives. It's the magic power of currency that publishers love so much. I was just making a joke in reference to all of the 'Sony needs to stop losing exclusives to Microsoft' that goes on on every other board. If it turns out well, I might grab the original with it (that's if I can get away with it without my girlfriend killing me).

  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Yeah, I know consoles lose exclusives. It's the magic power of currency that publishers love so much. I was just making a joke in reference to all of the 'Sony needs to stop losing exclusives to Microsoft' that goes on on every other board. If it turns out well, I might grab the original with it (that's if I can get away with it without my girlfriend killing me).

    I know. I realized what you were doing because yeah, it does happen often, always the sony - microsoft assfest. I was just remembering it happening beforehand on other consoles and added it to my post. Sorry if I sounded stuck up there.

    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    "Only for Xbox 360" like Resident Evil 2 was "Only for Nintendo64"?

    That's the only system it ever existed for as far as I'm concerned. Hello 3rd person controls and EX files.

    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • MongerMonger Hella Fuckin Smokey Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hmmmmm...

    On the one hand, I really want a polished NG2.

    On the other hands, I really don't want to buy a PS3 and I don't know whether or not to trust someone that's not Itagaki to fix all the things that are wrong with it. Sigma had Black as a foundation, after all.

  • the_Willardthe_Willard Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    "Only for Xbox 360" like Resident Evil 2 was "Only for Nintendo64"?

    wait, what? RE2 originally came out for the Playstation in '98, and was ported to the N64 in '99. it was largely a big deal because they managed to fit the game on a cart, which shut up all the PS fanboys.

    but yeah, sigma 2, we'll see how this turns out. the dual swords they added to the first sigma were pretty badass.

    The Neverhood is what TRULY started my gaming addiction, therefore respect is due.
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    But! But the cgi cutscenes looked like ass on n64!!!

    PSN / XBL: PatParadize
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I thought this was pretty funny in that kotaku article.
    Elsewhere in the interview, Itagaki confirms that Ninja Gaiden II will never appear on the PS3, and if it ever did that would be "a loss of face for everyone involved."

    Seems like developers never even speak to publishers. This would have had to have at least been in planning while Ninja Gaiden 2 was in development for it to be so far along now.

  • AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    "Only for Xbox 360" like Resident Evil 2 was "Only for Nintendo64"?

    wait, what? RE2 originally came out for the Playstation in '98, and was ported to the N64 in '99. it was largely a big deal because they managed to fit the game on a cart, which shut up all the PS fanboys.

    but yeah, sigma 2, we'll see how this turns out. the dual swords they added to the first sigma were pretty badass.

    Resident Evil 2 was released on the PSX first, then ported to the PC, the Dreamcast, the Game.com, the PSX again, high end watches, your mom, the etch-a-sketch, and then finally the N64. Even though it was available on damn near every game system known to man it still said "Only for Nintendo 64" on the box.

    198457_50442_front.jpg

    If you say so.

    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • the_Willardthe_Willard Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ahhh Nintendo...

    The Neverhood is what TRULY started my gaming addiction, therefore respect is due.
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm still amazed by all that compression, and they 'still' managed to make it look better than the PSX version, and had all of the FMV's intact.

    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Itagaki is an idiot if that was his opinion on the first Sigma. How can he compare 2 to Sigma? That was a remake of the original. What fucking evolution are you looking for in a remake of a three-year-old game?

  • AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Itagaki is an idiot if that was his opinion on the first Sigma. How can he compare 2 to Sigma? That was a remake of the original. What fucking evolution are you looking for in a remake of a three-year-old game?

    I think the though process is "It's not mine so it sucks!"

    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Itagaki is an idiot if that was his opinion on the first Sigma. How can he compare 2 to Sigma? That was a remake of the original. What fucking evolution are you looking for in a remake of a three-year-old game?

    I think the though process is "It's not mine so it sucks!"

    Yeah basically this. He was also saying with Ninja Gaiden 2 around the corner why would you go off and buy 1?

    Also. Hes very very VERY serious about everything he does being top of the line. The fact he was working on Ninja Gaiden 2 at that time and trying to perfect the gameplay and graphics on the Xbox 360 made him pissed that they just took his Xbox game and ported it without his wanting to. They didnt try to make it the best of the best, just a couple updated things, a bit better graphics, and a new thing to do. Which in his mind wasnt the best of the best, they didnt do everything they couldve, and the new Ninja Gaiden would be so much better.

    So yes, its a remake of a 3-year-old game. And thats just it. Its a remake of a 3-year-old game. Hes not the type to want to go back to his old works and suck the life out of them when hecan create a whole new game and make it as top of the line as he possibly can. And those people surely didnt.

    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What about Ninja Gaiden Black?

  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What about Ninja Gaiden Black?

    Exactly, he was involved in that but since he was involved, when he upgraded it and added all that extra shit, he felt, at that time, it was top of the line again since he added lots of new content.

    Because he was involved. Hes a very odd person but what was said above is basically the deal, the "because its not mine!" is a good reasoning. But hes also just a perfectionist. After Black he was working on NG2 so when they remade NG1 AGAIN he was probably not too happy they were just beating a dead horse for some money.

    Im not saying hes not a dickhead, because he clearly is, but yeah.

    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Itagaki is an idiot if that was his opinion on the first Sigma. How can he compare 2 to Sigma? That was a remake of the original. What fucking evolution are you looking for in a remake of a three-year-old game?

    I was pretty sure that he was rooting for it until NG2 was announced.

    Also, hell yeah!

    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • MongerMonger Hella Fuckin Smokey Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    mastrius wrote: »
    What about Ninja Gaiden Black?

    Exactly, he was involved in that but since he was involved, when he upgraded it and added all that extra shit, he felt, at that time, it was top of the line again since he added lots of new content.
    I'm pretty sure a large part of this is that he saw flaws in the previous NG releases, and Black was the point that he was happy with the game. For a dude with as much pride as him, after spending that much time perfecting and reperfecting his work, I'm pretty sure that the whole "it could be totally better, but nah, it's cool, we got from here" thing is like pissing in his oatmeal textured face.

  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Then how come he never released dead or alive beach volley ball black?

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Then how come he never released dead or alive beach volley ball black?

    Because to him it's the flawless game.

    Man knows his games.

    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Too bad Ninja Gaiden 2 was anything but flawless. But I guess that's part of the reason he left in the first place.

    If any game really, truly needed an update, it's this one.

    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Can use nun-chucks. Melbourne, VicRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This is good, more gamers should try Ninja Gaiden 2.

  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I personally found NG:Sigma (or Black) a much better game than NG2. NG2 to me seemed quite lazy, the engine clearly hadn't been upgraded considerably and the difficulty boarded more on completely-unfair than challenging.

    I'll probably still end up buying this though...

    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Xbox Live: SirGrinch X
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I personally found NG:Sigma (or Black) a much better game than NG2. NG2 to me seemed quite lazy, the engine clearly hadn't been upgraded considerably and the difficulty boarded more on completely-unfair than challenging.

    Thats pretty much a perfect summary of my feelings about Ninja Gaiden 2, apart from the huge staircase, that was a moment of absolute gaming perfection.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    NG2 is a poorly made game

    it is solidly inferior to NG1

    i would suggest that people just play the old one again instead of bothering with this one.

    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I fucking hate you Canadians.
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, the first game just has much better design overall, especially in subsequent iterations. Ninja Gaiden 2 has it beat in terms of weapon selection, as it has what is possibly the most awesome assortment of melee weapons in any game, ever. But that's all it has; the enemy design is significantly worse, bordering on downright terrible at times, the boss encounters are largely awful and the game is just creatively bankrupt. Not to mention the technical problems/bugs and the sheer frustration of being spammed by ranged weapons everywhere you go.

    Which is why it desperately needs an update like this, so the actual elements of quality can break through the morass. In my mind, it needs some fundamental changes, and I'm not sure that's going to happen, but they need to bring the same consistency of design to the game that made the first one so good.

    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Eh, NG2 was made during Itagaki's last days at Tecmo, right? I can understand why it was rough around the edges.

    and this sig. and this blog..
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Thanks, but no thanks Tecmo, I'll pass unless I hear they significantly improved things in the ps3 version.

    I wonder how many copies of this they expect to sell. I don't think NG2 did all that great on the xbox and year old ports tend to sell like crap anyway, look at Bioshock ps3. (I wonder if you can offset this with a budget price or new content)

    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

    Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • WibodWibod Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    greeble wrote: »
    Thanks, but no thanks Tecmo, I'll pass unless I hear they significantly improved things in the ps3 version.

    I wonder how many copies of this they expect to sell. I don't think NG2 did all that great on the xbox and year old ports tend to sell like crap anyway, look at Bioshock ps3. (I wonder if you can offset this with a budget price or new content)

    It should sell well considering the original Sigma sold really well from what I've heard.

  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sigma was budget priced, at least here in the uk. I got it for around £18 shortly after release. If NG2: Sigma is released at a similar price point then it should have no problem selling.

    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Xbox Live: SirGrinch X
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sigma was also released back when there weren't many good PS3 games out. But yeah I think budget pricing should help. (I think this is part of why Bioshock PS3 sales sucked, way to expensive, and you had to pay for the "exclusive" content)

    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

    Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    No one's seen the news?

    Online co-op
    Two new characters: Ayane and Momiji (from the DS game)

    Interview
    Trailer

    I don't even know how they're going to balance co-op, but it's awesome to hear that they really seem to be putting effort into it.

    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You know, I saw that trailer earlier, but the fact that it shows co-op never entered my mind.

    This is going to be fantastic.

    Ayane looks terrible though.

    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    this is cool, i always wanted to play NG2. and co-op... that will definitely be something.

    sig_zpsceb29fbe.jpg
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Can use nun-chucks. Melbourne, VicRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm fucking down on co-op. I'm fucking down soooo hard.

  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Crazy. I was just talking about how games like DMC and NG were like the modern versions of games like Double Dragon or Streets Of Rage, since you move forward, beat the shit out of enemies, repeat. And of course the only thing missing was co-op. I apparently wasn't just shooting the shit, I was prophesying.

«134567
Sign In or Register to comment.