As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ninja Gaiden 2: Sigma. It's out. PS3 only. Sixaxis jiggle woo!

123457»

• Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I guess it depends on your perspective. Do you like hard games that are going to challenge you? If yes, it's worth it. Especially with used prices being $30-$40.

I did not play Bayonetta, just the demo, and I chose to wait for Bayonetta to be $20 and just play more of this. My gripe with Bayonetta was it only had dodge, no actual block. I have a hard time with games that don't have a block option. NGS2 has block, dodge, and counter (very precise timing on counter required)

My opinion is hard to accept though. I've beaten this on warrior and mentor so far and have 1 level left to complete Master Ninja. And that is on top of playing through NG2 on the xbox 5 times. I really enjoy the gameplay. I like that if you make an error, you pay a price. It's punishing.

I have yet to encounter anything other than bugs you see in most games. I'm not picky about that though. I don't even notice screen tearing that everyone seems to get so worked up about.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm always down for co-op with other people who have this. My PS3 friend list is strange and barren to me compared to 360.

Professor Snugglesworth on
    edited May 2010
    Feel free to hit me up. I haven't played much co-op, got distracted while I was finishing my Master Ninja run and haven't played this in a while.

PSN ID= Rubix42

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I would say no, don't bother with it. They did fix some of the bugs that were in the XB360 version, but overall the game still isn't that great. The level design is very poor compared to NG1 and the story is practically non-existent. Its easily missable.

Yeah, this is more or less true. At least NG had a vaguely interesting story, albeit a bad one. That being said, it's not Devil May Cry bad, but that's setting the bar really, really low.

Also, the game doesn't really fix any of the major issues with the Xbox 360 version. It's also less violent (which is a strike against it), and it's deliberately easier. Why Team Ninja feels the need to make sure its PS3 ports are idiot-proof, I don't know, do they think anyone who bought a PS3 is a moron incapable of simple key-finding puzzles?

The only thing going for it, really, is the co-op.

Despite playing both,, I'm not entirely sure how it compares to Bayonetta. On the plus (?) side, Bayonetta is easier (at least in my experience), has a much more distinctive visual style (though Moscow is still really cool, IMHO), and has cool features like practicing in loading screens. On the negative side, Bayonetta is easier, the dialogue and story are actually worse (I know, can you believe it?) in my opinion, and it is more embarrassing to play in front of other peoples. NG2 has far fewer crotch shots, and has much less B sexploitation movie dialogue (but hey, if that's your thing, go for it).

Make of that what you will. Honestly, I think anyone who wanted to decide between the two should really try both of them. And part of me thinks that Bayonetta's much softer learning angle makes it a lot more fun for people.
    I'm always down for co-op with other people who have this. My PS3 friend list is strange and barren to me compared to 360.

Shoot me an invite some time, professor, I promise I'll have my ethernet set up so I don't get killed in lag (stupid shitty PSN wireless device, combined with stupid shitty ISP). I still don't have a headset though, I pretty much only play one game on PSN, and buying a headset just for it feels kind of...eh. If I can find a cheap one, I'll look into it.

To address an earlier issue, I don't think we'll be seeing a Ninja Gaiden 3. Which is okay by me, because Team Ninja hasn't quite demonstrated they can get their shit together yet, and the actual people who could make fun games and left (Itagaki & co.) don't own the IP. TN could prove me wrong, but I don't think they will. Heck, even Kojima beat them in the area of unnecessary sixaxis features with his patented Watch-Old-Snakes'-Ass-And-Rose's-Boobs-Jiggle-In-Codecs feature(tm).

Eh, that's how the business works, I suppose.

Synthesis on
    edited May 2010
    I still argue that if you are playing one of these games for a story, you're doing it wrong.

And Master Ninja on PS3 is harder than Xbox. Every enemy has a 1 hit kill grab. Only thing easier is that you don't have IS ninja's(incendiary shuriken) spamming IS at you from off screen anymore. And that needed to be removed.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man, Bayonetta haves some awesome dialog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLb3wM71tww&feature=related

But it's a shame about NGS2. I played the living shit out of NG on the Xbox and I'm starting to get that NG itch again. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Casually Hardcore on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Rubix42 wrote: »
    I still argue that if you are playing one of these games for a story, you're doing it wrong.

And Master Ninja on PS3 is harder than Xbox. Every enemy has a 1 hit kill grab. Only thing easier is that you don't have IS ninja's(incendiary shuriken) spamming IS at you from off screen anymore. And that needed to be removed.

Oh god, I didn't play the PS3 version but I really hated that in NG2. Too often were you required to blindly dodge offscreen projectile constantly while fighting because there was no way to know a projectile was coming your way.

Terrible, terrible design.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
    edited May 2010

That's probably true. It doesn't change the fact that it can be painful to listen to in both cases.

Personally, I can (barely) negotiate the black spider ninjas throwing incendiary shuriken. So this does sound harder overall.

On the other hand, I could swear that every single enemy in that game has a throw. Except for flying ones. Though some of those do. In that area, I'd rather deal with shuriken-flinging on occasion then throwing everywhere, however, that's just me. I had bigger problems with other parts of the game, to be honest, but then again, I never cleared through MN all the way, and I need to get to it on the PS3 version at some point.

I've spent way more time with the co-op, frankly. The stuff and violence cut out bother me less there, and playing the other characters does keep things interesting.

Synthesis on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »

That's probably true. It doesn't change the fact that it can be painful to listen to in both cases.

How is this even remotely true? Bad narrative plot is never acceptable. Never. Sure, the story should not interfere with the actiony goodnes, but to dismiss the bad story because that's just the way the genre is - is stupidity. We shouldn't have to settle for a crappy story in these games.

And the God of War trilogy (especially GoW2) is a prime example of an action game with a stellar story included. There is no reason why you can't have both incredible action and moving story-telling all in the same game.

Lucascraft on
    edited May 2010
    I generally just judge by how much I cringe while listening to dialogue. How much I spend cringing versus not cringing per scene, for example.

Synthesis on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    God of War 2? It was put together in an interesting way, but the story was quite bleh.

I think about it like this: no amount of story will ever get me to suffer through terrible gameplay, but I will happily skip through pages of terrible dialogue to get to great gameplay.

But I don't play games of ANY genre for the story, so whatever.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    edited May 2010
    I'd actually agree about God of War 2 being pretty meh, both gameplay wise and story wise.

However, it wasn't Devil May Cry 2 rare combination of shitty writing and shitty gameplay by any means. No game mentioned in this thread is, really.

That, and Death by Degrees. Good lord, that was an abomination.

Synthesis on
    edited May 2010
    I beat Death By Degrees.

I give the game one credit: it showed me early on that Too Human was going to be terrible.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
    edited May 2010
    You have my sincere sympathy. Did Too Human use the same mechanics?

Synthesis on
    edited May 2010
    It used the same control scheme, which was an instant tip off that it was going to be very bad.

The control scheme in Death By Degrees was only the tip of the iceberg. I remember reading an early interview with the director where he basically said that action gamers were looking for something new. Sure, maybe. But terrible controls were not that something.

I believe the game's nadir was the mine level, where you had to control the game by looking through a series of CCTVs. It was just awful puzzle design and pointlessly obtuse.

Page- on
    stream
    edited May 2010
    Death by Degrees had its fair warning--or rather, its developers did. That Jeti Li game did the same thing.

Synthesis on
    edited May 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »

How is this even remotely true? Bad narrative plot is never acceptable. Never. Sure, the story should not interfere with the actiony goodnes, but to dismiss the bad story because that's just the way the genre is - is stupidity. We shouldn't have to settle for a crappy story in these games.

And the God of War trilogy (especially GoW2) is a prime example of an action game with a stellar story included. There is no reason why you can't have both incredible action and moving story-telling all in the same game.

Different folks, different strokes. I think GoW wasn't interesting storywise. Great gameplay, but story was only interesting because it was changing greek mythology, not because it was well written.

And I personally would be happier if they took out cutscenes and dialogue from some games. This game is a prime example. No cutscenes, no dialogue, just a ninja flipping out and murdering other ninjas and demons.

N+ is a great example too. No story, excellent gameplay.

Other games that should not have a story.
    Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Mario games, PacMan, DigDug. Bullethell shooters.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I did not play Bayonetta, just the demo, and I chose to wait for Bayonetta to be $20 and just play more of this. My gripe with Bayonetta was it only had dodge, no actual block. I have a hard time with games that don't have a block option. NGS2 has block, dodge, and counter (very precise timing on counter required)

It may interest you to know that in Bayonetta, eventually you unlock the ability (through an item) to both block and counter enemy attacks, the difference between them being based on milliseconds.

That game also roused my interest in the older NG games, or at least finishing Black :P

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
    edited May 2010
    Wow, thanks for the info. I am now picking this up sooner than otherwise.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wow, thanks for the info. I am now picking this up sooner than otherwise.

No prob bob!
    Im not sure if this is entirely accurate but i think Her game is more offense oriented... A perfect dodge or block sends you into slo-mo Witch Time, where you want to bust out the silliest combos you can, and quick.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
    edited May 2010
    In retrospect, if the price has gone down, I may need to check out Bayonetta as well. I never got to finish it when I borrowed it from a friend. Any differences between the Xbox 360 and PS3 releases?

Synthesis on
    edited May 2010
    I've heard through the interwebs that the xbox version runs better. Used price of $32. Not bad.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    In retrospect, if the price has gone down, I may need to check out Bayonetta as well. I never got to finish it when I borrowed it from a friend. Any differences between the Xbox 360 and PS3 releases?

If you have a 360 and a PS3, get the 360 version.

If you just have a PS3, just get the game and enjoy it.

The difference in noticeable, 360 is a notch or two better, but it isn't "buy a 360 for this game' noticeable.

Casually Hardcore on
    edited May 2010
    I own both. I actually prefer the Xbox 360's controller substantially over the other (also, since I install games, it's substantially quieter now), so I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be missing out on anything.

Synthesis on
    edited May 2010
    I own both. I actually prefer the Xbox 360's controller substantially over the other (also, since I install games, it's substantially quieter now), so I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be missing out on anything.

Yeah, the PS3 controller is shit. It's, literally, falling apart in my hands.

Casually Hardcore on