Hello, you may now embed "gifv" simply by pasting the link (same as youtube). Enjoy!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

What are we reading?

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I just started reading "Farewell, My Lovely" by Raymond Chandler. I've learned an ethnic slur within the first few pages too.

tastydonuts on
    “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
    ― Bill Cosby
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Tried reading more 1984, couldn't get into it, looked up cliff notes, laughed, shelved it.

that and Fahrenheit 451, stories that go from point A to B to A and in 451s case, to not mattering at all what happened during the book. I did like 451 though. Especially since 451 is more accurate with its message of technology, hell we really are burning ancient books worth a lot historically and monetarily just because it's cheaper to get rid of them.

SkutSkut on
  • VanityPantsVanityPants Gokai Red! Registered User regular
    Dark Places was awesome! A fast, dark and sometimes-spooky read.

Reading Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury now for the book club. About 3/4ths of the way through and just not really enjoying it as much as I thought I would.

Also reading His Majesty's Dragon at the same time! Figured I should finally check out the Temeraire books. Really enjoying that so far!

• CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    Enc wrote:
    Such polarizing feelings cannot exist in this thread. Take these two knives, whoever still breathes by page 44 will have the correct opinion.

I'm breathing. Does that mean I win?

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    Finished Snuff.

Alright, but the antagonist was disappointingly weak.

• MLCodestMLCodest Registered User regular
    Just read All Quiet on the Western Front for school and for pleasure I just started Game of Thrones!

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Rereading Physics of the Impossible in preparation for Nano on Tuesday! :D

Just finished The Hot Zone. The first half was incredible but I found that the second half got kind of boring. The whole last section was essentially "things were really bad and scary" repeated in clinical terms over and over.

I guess that's just what happens with nonfiction when that's where the story goes, but still... ehhhh.

Going to start on The Steel Remains by Richard Morgan, now!

• EncEnc Briarthorn Alliance FloridaRegistered User regular
    Just finished Cold Hit, Linda Fairstein. You never know who the murderer is in her books until the end. In a "it could easily be all three of these people but which is it this is really well written" kind of way.

Guns make you stupid. Better to fight your wars with duct tape. Duct tape makes you smart.
    ooydlMBI
  • ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
    listening to "The Beatles" by Bob Spitz -- pretty good and learning a lot about a band I didn't really know the history. I knew some of the stuff but so far a few discs into it and enjoying it

Reading "The Girl Who Played with Fire" and also enjoy it. I was trying to tell my wife that I really enjoy and dislike the same thing about both books so far... there is a lot of back story and characters. It can be hard to keep track of things, but I sort enjoy it at the same time. I am not sure if it would be different if the names were more Americanized or not? Anyone have any thoughts on that?

I don't think it would be any different with The Girl Who Played With Fire, at least. It's just that you're dealing with a pretty large family, but I found the further in you got the easier it was to deal with. Early on the people are just names on a list but eventually you're introduced to them and get a feel for who each character is, it makes it a lot easier.

Also, started reading Stranger in a Strange Land!

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    we just got a copy of that at our awesome local book sale thingy! It looks good.
    hopefully the sex is less uh, ridiculous, than in the Kovacs novels (It's a Richard K Morgan book, I'm assuming there's gonna be sexin' somewhere)

we just got a copy of that at our awesome local book sale thingy! It looks good.
    hopefully the sex is less uh, ridiculous, than in the Kovacs novels (It's a Richard K Morgan book, I'm assuming there's gonna be sexin' somewhere)

I actually haven't read any Richard K. Morgan stuff until this book! That said, I got a few pages in and had to take a break. I like the way it seems to be going, I'm just not feeling it right now. I figure I'll finish Stranger in a Strange Land and then try again.

I actually haven't read any Richard K. Morgan stuff until this book! That said, I got a few pages in and had to take a break. I like the way it seems to be going, I'm just not feeling it right now. I figure I'll finish Stranger in a Strange Land and then try again.

his stuff requires a certain level of involvement generally.

Picked up Terry Pratchett's "Guards! Guards!" yesterday and finished it in one sitting.
    Must have more.

Guns make you stupid. Better to fight your wars with duct tape. Duct tape makes you smart.
    ooydlMBI
    Just finished up The Iron Jackal by Chris Wooding. Already sad I now have to wait for the next installment.

I have a few books lying around to read but I think I need something different. Trying to figure out what that may be, now.

My wife informed me I must finish Dresden Files, Storm Front by Jim Butcher before I can go to the bookstore and buy more Pratchett. Something about enjoying all literatures that I purchased three days ago before buying more.

Man.

ooydlMBI
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    Enc wrote:
    My wife informed me I must finish Dresden Files, Storm Front by Jim Butcher before I can go to the bookstore and buy more Pratchett. Something about enjoying all literatures that I purchased three days ago before buying more.

Man.

Well, it's a good book, at least. Haven't read many Dresden Fileses, but the ones I have I've enjoyed.

The Dresden Files books fit perfectly into being just "okay" for me. I finally read the fourth one and it was at least much better than the first three, but I'm just not sold on them.

But I have plenty of other series to keep up with that I REALLY shouldn't be worried about being able to exclude one.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    The fourth Dresden is when I really started to enjoy them. I'm on #11 now and really dig the series.

The new Mistborn "Alloy of Law" was good, but far too short.

chiasaur11 wrote:
    Enc wrote:

Man.

Well, it's a good book, at least. Haven't read many Dresden Fileses, but the ones I have I've enjoyed.

Yeah, I'm liking it pretty well. But It's a solid Silver book next to the Gold of Pratchett. I'm pretty eagre to finish it and get another Discworld Novel.

ooydlMBI
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    vamen wrote:

It was a quick read I admit...usually Brandon's writing is pretty dense even before the lovely monster sized page counts and this one felt less so I plowed through it in a day. But it was great!

steam_sig.png

anyone read 'Don't Know Much about History: Everything You Need to Know about American History But Never Learned' ?

I am listening to it now and just curious for other peoples opinions.

I finished the "girl with dragon tattoo" trilogy, pretty enjoyable. I watched the swedish version of the dragon tattoo movie and was less than impressed, they left out a lot of information from the book.

Trying to think of what to read next, might go with game of thrones since I have the first couple of books already.

azith28 wrote:
    vamen wrote:

It was a quick read I admit...usually Brandon's writing is pretty dense even before the lovely monster sized page counts and this one felt less so I plowed through it in a day. But it was great!

Yea I was surprised how fast it went. But it didn't have a high page count either, I didn't really pay attention to that until the end.

The book almost felt like fan fiction. Not as in bad quality, but just like someone decided to make their own story set in his world. Still, it was a good time. Plus I like how towards the end things start tying in a little more. Looking forward to the next, assuming it doesn't slow down his world on Stormlight 2!

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular

I'm also reading ex-patriots. The sequel to Ex-heroes.

They are pretty fun novels, basically a zombie apocalypse + superhero mashup.

In a nutshell the premise is that soon after humans start appearing with superhero like abilities due to various reasons (experimentation, accidents etc...picture a very early DC universe where the abilities were still new), a virus starts spreading that causes people to die, followed by reanimation. The heroes have taken the survivors of LA and put them inside the paramount studios lot ("The Mount") because it was a large walled area so they could protect them.

steam_sig.png

• hooray4matthooray4matt Registered User
    I'm mid-way through Pride and Prejudice. I'm mainly reading it so I can appreciate Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

• SuckafishSuckafish Registered User regular
    I just finished The Strain. The plot was mediocre and the writing was terrible. Point of view jumps all over the place, sometimes within a single paragraph.

I have an urge to read something by Stephen King next. The sample for Under the Dome didn't click, so I'm going to give Bag of Bones a shot.

finished the last eragon book -- there is a part of the book that really pisses me off
    Spoiler:

Just finished "The Passage"
    The book was not anything like I expected. Mostly enjoyable though. In some parts it started going in directions I expected and I sort of rolled my eyes, then happily it didn't end up going like I thought it would, and that pleased me.
    The problem I have with books like this is that I mostly read fantasy and it feels like this one starts to dip into fantasy halfway through but it feels like very superficial fantasy. I'm so used to the deep, complex stuff of, say, "Way of Kings" that I have trouble enjoying 'lesser' fantasy. That's more of a personal flaw (like how I can't enjoy books that have asshole characters as a pov character) though.

Looking forward to the sequel.

edited December 2011
    ToddJewell wrote:
    finished the last eragon book -- there is a part of the book that really pisses me off
    Spoiler:

You read any of Christopher Paolini's stuff and didn't get angry at all of it? The first book alone is a blatant (and poorly done) plagiarism mash-up of some of the secondary Dragonlance novels.

The only reason the books were even published is because his parents owned the company and used their influence to get him into private schools to do book sale presentations and tossed a ton of money at Opera to get it on TV. It's the perfect example of doing something half-assed and relying entirely on money to get something crappy published.

The success of his series infuriates me as there are many hundreds of better series in the same genre written by folks who are excellent in their craft that can't get published, while this guy gets a movie for essentially fanfiction. It's disgraceful.

Enc on
    ooydlMBI
    I haven't read any dragonlance stories ... I enjoyed the Eragon books but bleh.

Not meaning to rag on you, the guy just ticks me off.

ooydlMBI
    oh I didn't take it that way -- was just saying that I couldn't draw a comparison to them since I hadn't read them. It just bugged me that he would go out of his way to the point of having her whisper who she was to someone she was killing but he was 'out of earshot' in the final book and then pull that shit in the afterword section.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I haven't read any Dragonlance either, but I thought Eragon was a poorly-written pastiche of a half dozen other sci-fi and fantasy series. But I have weird standards for writing and I imagine that if you haven't read a whole lot of other fantasy it wouldn't seem stale. I think it's mostly popular with younger readers who aren't jaded enough to dislike seeing the same things again.

Anyway.

Still reading John Dies at the End a month and a half later. I really like it and normally a book that size would take me roughly 3 evenings of pre-sleep reading, but I decided to finally get one of my novels bashed into shape for submission to agents so that's eating up all of my time. I'd probably get more into John and just finish it off except for all of the stops and starts in the narrative. It's not a bad device but it feels more like reading a short-story collection than a single novel, which makes me less driven to keep going after I finish off a chunk.

OptimusZed wrote:
    Hey, you're that guy with me in your sig. -- (was: 'Jesus, people. This thread is like a running gunbattle with stupid bullets.' -- OptimusZed)
  • bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    Just finished up Dead beat and am starting on the next book in Jim Butchers Dresden series. The plot's aren't much to write home about, but the characters he writes are likable, and I enjoy his dialogue.

I've read a lot -- I just don't have high standards for books, ha.

bebarce wrote:
    Just finished up Dead beat and am starting on the next book in Jim Butchers Dresden series. The plot's aren't much to write home about, but the characters he writes are likable, and I enjoy his dialogue.

I enjoyed the first book. The second Dresden book is in my queue for once I finish Pratchet's Men at Arms.

I've heard the Dresden Files novels get exponentially better as the series progresses, especially after book 3.

ooydlMBI
  • bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    Even the author himself says they do. It functions like many tv series do. First couple books were one shot deals that introduce the main players, and book 3 is the start of the continuing arc of an ongoing story. Proven Guilty (the book i'm on) is book 8 in the series. Say what you want about the guy, but he sure can pump out a book. No fear of waiting years upon years in between each novel.

Just finished The Bards of Bone Plain. How did I not know about Patricia McKillip before? She writes exactly the kind of things I like to read, apparently.

Also read Jane Eyre recently. I liked Wuthering Heights a lot better, overall. Jane Eyre did nothing for me, I didn't hate the characters but I just felt absolutely nothing for them.

I've heard the Dresden Files novels get exponentially better as the series progresses, especially after book 3.

I quit midway through book three... guess that means I should get it again?