Hello, you may now embed "gifv" simply by pasting the link (same as youtube). Enjoy!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

What are we reading?

• MagellMagell Sphinx! Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    setrajonas wrote:
    Just finished reading the Sprawl trilogy. I read Neuromancer a long time ago actually, but my appreciation for it went way up on this re-read, in part because I can only now recognize just how big a cultural influence it was. Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive were a bit strange, like two halves of the same book to which Neuromancer was a prequel. They were good, but a re-read is in order in the future before I can settle my mind about them.

I read that trilogy all out of order as well. I liked the books, but I definitely need to read them straight through at some point in time as well.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    Magell wrote:
    setrajonas wrote:
    Just finished reading the Sprawl trilogy. I read Neuromancer a long time ago actually, but my appreciation for it went way up on this re-read, in part because I can only now recognize just how big a cultural influence it was. Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive were a bit strange, like two halves of the same book to which Neuromancer was a prequel. They were good, but a re-read is in order in the future before I can settle my mind about them.

I read that trilogy all out of order as well. I liked the books, but I definitely need to read them straight through at some point in time as well.

Same. I was on a major Gibson kick last year, and managed Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive in order, but read Neuromancer later.

I got some of the things from a years old first read of Neuromancer, like what the hell was going on with the Maas biochips, but I'm sure I missed some details.

Liked Mona Lisa Overdrive least, but, honestly, there's no way it could live up to the title.

Mona Lisa Overdrive is one of the best names for anything ever.

• ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
    finished Gunslinger... I liked it, I think?

I started on American Gods last night but not very far into it.

• ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm currently on A Dance With Dragons, having finished up the rest of the current ASOIAF series.

• verbelverbel Registered User regular
    I just finished Enders game and Dune. Not sure if I want to read more of the Dune books or more of the Enders series. Not being able to decide I started reading A Canticle for Leibowitz. So far its not really grabbing me but I might give it a bit more time.

camo_sig2.png
    verbel wrote:
    I just finished Enders game and Dune. Not sure if I want to read more of the Dune books or more of the Enders series. Not being able to decide I started reading A Canticle for Leibowitz. So far its not really grabbing me but I might give it a bit more time.

Trust me.

You don't want to read more of either.

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    verbel wrote:

Trust me.

Read Ender's Shadow at least.

Steam ID - Syphyreal --- 3DS Friend Code: 2723-9387-1002
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I liked the entire Shadow series and parts of the Ender series (the parts with mind-Peter). At least until I found out OSC was a bag of dicks and started seeing certain things from the stories in an unpleasant new light.

Kamar on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Finished Dracula, was okay. Could've maybe used some trimming as I felt stuff was repeated, even if it was done notebook style and from several characters viewpoints. Pacing seemed a bit all over the place too, and the ending was a wee bit anticlimatic. Enjoyable read despite the flaws tho.

• ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    Syphyre wrote:
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    verbel wrote:

Trust me.

Read Ender's Shadow at least.

Worst book in the entire world, ever. EVER.

KqOm9Bt.jpg
  • liquiddarkliquiddark Odd magpie St. John's, NLRegistered User regular
    To push the opposite viewpoint: Speaker for the Dead is in almost all ways a superior book to Ender's Game. It actually takes an adult viewpoint, for one, and the character deals with his own guilt and with the guilt of his civilization. It doesn't have the combat training. That's really all that it lacks, though. Xenocide is also quite a good book. They're not much like Ender's Game, but they're mature explorations of morality and pretty good science fiction as well.

Current project: Contension, a realtime tactics game for mobile
    @oldmanhero .programming .web comic .everything
    Speaker for the Dead is three-quarters good novel and one-quarter letdown. I felt like there was this certain amount of tension that built up in the book, and then the last quarter is Ender just automagically solving all the problems with barely any conflict. I got the character ramifications, but I just didn't feel it at the end.

Xenocide and Children of the Mind, however? Ugh. Card had some beautiful concepts started in those books and then ruined the books for me with a scientific Deus Ex Machina.

• bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    I'm forcing Dragonrider down my gullet but probably won't be able to stomach much more. I've had a string of disappointments.
    Read some of the Rangers apprentice series and after GoT it feels too tame for my tastes.
    Also read sanderson's Alloy of Law which was a big let down considering the quality of the original series.

Up in the bullpen is Ghost Stories, the newest Jim Butcher Dresden book. I'm looking forward to that one.

• ben_botben_bot Registered User regular
    Took a break from Dance with Dragons to read the Hunger Games trilogy. Now it's back to Dance with Dragons!

Grabbed Wise Blood from the library. Will dive in soon. Heard good things.

• OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    verbel wrote:

Trust me.

I like all of the Ender books, even the ones which are very weird (pretty much just Xenocide and Children of the Mind). I would consider Speaker for the Dead a must-read book by Card, right up there with Ender's Game, although it starts more slowly.

currently playing LoL: Polymath
    a fading melody - my indie platformer for the xbox 360
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Still not done with "On Writing" ... but I am also reading a lot on my kindle app now. Yesterday a bunch of authors offered a lot of their stuff for free so I grabbed some.

I also got a subscription to the ebook version of Asimovs Science Fiction ... Never actually read that before. There are some great stories in there ... absolutely not the kind of sci-fi I have been exposed to so far. Reading that reminded me of how much space opera has been in my previous sci-fi reading. I need to change that ...

Speaking of great sci-fi ... I read the Hugo winner for best short story of 2011, you can grab it for the kindle for 99c. "For want of a Nail". Absolutely fantastic story. I wish I could write like that.

• SuicidejimSuicidejim Registered User
    ToddJewell wrote:
    I started on American Gods last night but not very far into it.

Which just happened to be the last book I finished, and a very good one at that. Neil Gaiman is a brilliant author. Hopefully you'll enjoy it too.

• ueanuean Registered User regular
    I just wanted to report back to the thread that I never did finish The Yiddish Policeman's Union. It was laugh out loud funny quite often, shocking, and I loved it, but I just couldn't stay with it for more than a few pages at a time. I definitely enjoyed what I read, but it exhausted me for some reason and by the time I would come back to it, forget what had happened. Now it makes a brightly coloured addition to the unfinished pile of shame.

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Currently listening to "The Pillars of the Earth" on audiobook. I feel like this is one of those books I should turn my nose up at because it's so popularly celebrated, but I honestly don't care. I'm really liking it so far.

I also just finally started "The Wise Man's Fear" and started reading the Chronicles of Narnia to my 6-year old before her bedtime every night. A very enjoyable experience. Maybe we'll move on to The Hobbit next.

Just started the Atrocity Archives.

Nice to have something lighthearted after all that Flannery O'Connor.

Big Dookie wrote:
    Currently listening to "The Pillars of the Earth" on audiobook. I feel like this is one of those books I should turn my nose up at because it's so popularly celebrated, but I honestly don't care. I'm really liking it so far.

Read that a good many years ago. It is a legitimately good book in my opinion. In fact one of the few books we "had" to read back in high school that I enjoyed.

• SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    verbel wrote:

Trust me.

I couldn't disagree more about reading either. Duncan Idaho is a great character in the later Dune novels and the Shadow series as well as Speaker for the Dead are pretty awesome, if you can get over the whole OSC is a total tool thing.

Smoogy on
    Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    Puzzle and Dragons: 376 540 262
    MY PAD Herder
  • TymoraTymora Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote:
    I also just finally started "The Wise Man's Fear" and started reading the Chronicles of Narnia to my 6-year old before her bedtime every night. A very enjoyable experience. Maybe we'll move on to The Hobbit next.

Woooo! Patrick Rothfuss' Kvothe stories were yummy =) I hope you're enjoying the second one there.

I just re-read Robin Hobbs Farseer Trilogy, and the Tawny Man trilogy in a week. Nom nom, I just need to make sure I have a box of tissues handy, some heart rending moments for those who get to love the characters (like I do).

I can't stop filling my kindle with free books every week though, I'm pretty sure I have about 200 unread ones on there now =< I can't pass up the opportunity for a free book that is potentially great... most have been so-so, some enjoyable albeit without much depth.
    It's a nice system to get newer authors work out, and also gives people the opportunity to spread their roots and perhaps read something out of their comfort zone and different for a change - without spending any money!! (Which is my primary reason for free kindle book list trawling at the moment).

"The difference between virtuality and life is very simple. In a construct you know everything is being run by an all-powerful machine. Reality doesn't offer this assurance, so it's very easy to develop the mistaken impression that you're in control."

QUELLCRIST FALCONER
    Ethics on the Precipice
  • ShinyoShinyo Registered User regular
    Just read The Summoner by Gail Z. Martin. It read like someone's bad D&D campaign with a blatant mary sue put in halfway through. I will not be reading the other two in the series and would not recommend it.

I'm going to make another attempt at getting through some Codex Alera by Jim Butcher. I'm convinced it will get good eventually, it just bores me to tears in the meantime. Under Destroyah87's advice, I'm just going to skip the first two books in the series (which according to him is all world-building) and go straight to three. I figure by the time I finish the series, I'll care enough about the characters and the setting to WANT to read the first two.

• TymoraTymora Registered User regular
    Codex Alera by Jim Butcher

I was introduced to Jim Butcher through the Dresden Files - I loved these. But being more of a Fantasy nut I gave the Codex Alera a go too.

I enjoyed the first... 3? Struggled a little more through the following 2, and still haven't finished the last one (a year and a bit on).
    I liked the concept, and I grew attached to the characters introduced through the first few books. It's been a while since I read them so am struggling a little to recall exactly what quenched my interest in them.
    I think it was partially that the characters I grew to love, sort of faded into obscurity to an extent - got settled and although still featured, did not feature as prominently as the story moved on. I wanted to know how the circumstances affected them, I wanted to know what they were doing - but because more was happening in many locations, it felt like I was being uprooted and thrown about by an unruly wind just as I was settling into the 'story' of another character, just to be shown an unsatisfactory glimpse of what was happening elsewhere.

Gah, it's nagging at me now... itchy fingers... I'll need to pick them up and read through them again!

"The difference between virtuality and life is very simple. In a construct you know everything is being run by an all-powerful machine. Reality doesn't offer this assurance, so it's very easy to develop the mistaken impression that you're in control."

QUELLCRIST FALCONER
    Ethics on the Precipice
  • verbelverbel Registered User regular
    I am having a go at the wheel of time series. Quite a few years ago I read the first four books and then quit. I decided to start over on them and try again. I like the characters and the story but sometimes it seems to get bogged down in the details and starts to drag, but maybe that’s just me. Time will tell how far I will get. Do the books finished by Sanderson hold up as well as the others?

camo_sig2.png
  • inthistwilightinthistwilight Registered User
    Currently reading Starship Troopers by Heinlein and absolutely loving it. I've been wanting to read it for ages and finally found a good looking copy (read: didn't look like it would fall apart during one reading) at a used bookstore.

Currently reading Starship Troopers by Heinlein and absolutely loving it. I've been wanting to read it for ages and finally found a good looking copy (read: didn't look like it would fall apart during one reading) at a used bookstore.

Ever read "Armor", by John Steakley?

Similar bug war power armor set up, but less politics and more brutal, brutal psychological torment and violence.

Fun times.

• RymemberRymember Registered User
    Right now, I'm reading:

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr.
    Self-Therapy by Jay Earley
    The Truth Will Set You Free: Overcoming Emotional Blindness by Alice Miller

Although, I haven't touched A Canticle for Leibowitz in two or three months now.

• DonauDonau Registered User regular
    I had Confession of a D-List Supervillian by Jim Bernheimer suggested to me by an old roommate recently. Read it.

It was alright, I have never been a fan of comic books, thus never exposed to the whole superhero mythos (except through cultural osmosis); so I am wondering what (if any) good superhero novels exist out there you all could suggest?

edited February 2012
    Donau wrote:
    I had Confession of a D-List Supervillian by Jim Bernheimer suggested to me by an old roommate recently. Read it.

It was alright, I have never been a fan of comic books, thus never exposed to the whole superhero mythos (except through cultural osmosis); so I am wondering what (if any) good superhero novels exist out there you all could suggest?

Well, there's "Soon I Will Be Invincible". Heard good things.

But really, you should try to learn to read comics.

Not, I stress, get into comics. That way lies nothing but heartache. But learning to read them gets you all kinds of good stuff. And its the native genre of superheroes, so they tend to do best there.

If I had to pick one series of cape comics, I'd say Lee Kirby Fantastic Four. It's good foundations, assuming you can look past the age. Action, comedy, drama, pathos, romance, hilarious but horrible sexism, it's got it all.

Just remember, the 60s were a different time.

Most of the other stuff people say "You have to read this" about is deconstructions and reconstructions, depending a lot on history with the genre. FF was just the WORLD'S GREATEST COMIC MAGAZINE!

chiasaur11 on
    I agree with Chiasaur that learning to read comics is rewarding especially now that more trade paperbacks exist. So you don't have to find singles for a whole story.

Batman Long Halloween is good, but you kind of have to read Year One first which is solid, but not as good.

I'm reading through the Star Wars New Jedi Order series again and the beginning is pretty rough, but the books pick up in quality although they all have issues with too goddamn many viewpoint characters.

edited February 2012
    Magell wrote:
    I agree with Chiasaur that learning to read comics is rewarding especially now that more trade paperbacks exist. So you don't have to find singles for a whole story.

Batman Long Halloween is good, but you kind of have to read Year One first which is solid, but not as good.

Really?

Long Halloween is at best good. Year 1, despite Miller going crazypants in later years, is considered one of the best Batman comics ever.

chiasaur11 on
    I don't know I couldn't get into Year 1, but that might be more of my bias against origin stories. Also I like kind of good Catwoman so that helps Long Halloween.

• blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    Can anyone recommend some good YA fantasy stuff? Preferably not in a first-person view.

• VanityPantsVanityPants Gokai Red! Registered User regular
    I just finished The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham. It was... okay. It felt like a very very long prologue. It was split into four POVs and by the end of the book most of the POVs still weren't really connected. It seemed like it was trying to be a large, political thing like A Song of Ice and Fire but the attempted scale of it just seemed superfluous and made it stumble.

Next up is Throne of Jade! I really liked His Majesty's Dragon, so I'm excited to dive into that one.

• geardropsgeardrops Registered User
    Recently read This Dark Endeavor by Kenneth Oppel (first half was amazing, second half was not) and then I read Ashfall by Mike Mullin (really freaking good).

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Next up is Throne of Jade! I really liked His Majesty's Dragon, so I'm excited to dive into that one.

I love that series. Not high literature, but a great read ... love the world building in this. And it gets better from book to book.

• WankWank Registered User regular
    Has anyone here checked out the Galactic Center books by Gregory Benford? Best space-opera hard scifi ever