As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Crazy Squeaky Bed

John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
My wife and I have a wood and metal bed that has recently started to sweak at the slightest movement. D: It's a metal frame with wooden head board and foot board. I've tightened all the screws, but the problem doesn't go away fully and returns quickly.

You can imagine the noise it makes when... other things are happening. I suspect the neighbors don't sleep half the week! :winky:

So, engineers of PA, any past experience fixing an issue like this? My wife suggested WD40, but I suspect that wouldn't do any good if the problem is wood squeaking against metal.

Help!

John Matrix on

• AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Uhg, my boyfriend and I have this same problem. We sleep on a futon, cause that's all we can afford atm, and it's an entirely wooden frame. we've tried everything to stop the squeeking, but nothing works. I suggest buying an entirely new bed, and a sturdy one too. other than that, I got nothin'.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    it sounds like the screw holes in the wood have lost their grip on the screws which then come out easier and allow for squeaking. its probably the metal squeaking by the way and not wood on metal.

you can try WD40 on the metal parts, you can also try replacing the screws with slightly longer screws or using a different height (if your bed is adjustable) to to attach the metal frame to.

you can also try using bits of cloth or paper (old socks or newspaper works well) inbetween the loose joints. this should help muffle the sound.

Dunadan019 on
  • John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I had suspected that the screws were starting to lose it, I might take one out this weekend and make a trip to the hardware store for a fractionally larger sized screw. Perhaps a combination of that and some cloth might be the trick.

As for the futon, yeah that's the curse of all futon dwellers. My futon back in college was metal frame, sounded like I was using a prybar to remove steel bolts everytime I'd move.

John Matrix on
  • ShadowrunnerShadowrunner Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My wife's old bed that we inherited when we first got married did the same thing. We ended up replacing the wood screws that held the head/foot boards to the bed with carriage bolts. It made the situation better, but it would still squeak from time to time. Ultimately, if the bed is poorly constructed, your best bet might be to start looking for a new one.

Shadowrunner on
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, engineers of PA, any past experience fixing an issue like this?

It sounds like to me you need to be a bit more gentle with her. :winky:

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man I had this exact problem last night its a complete mood killer when you're paranoid about people in the next room hearing you. D:

All I can do is second the get a new bed option, wooden bed frames are always going to make noise and there is precious little you can do to stop it. A good piece of advice I can give you however is to buy a metal bed frame. Doesn't even matter it its a cheap one or an expensive one, some of the best beds I've been in for minimal creaking during sex have cost around the £100 mark.

Casual on
  • oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    play loud music

oldsak on
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Casual wrote: »
    A good piece of advice I can give you however is to buy a metal bed frame. Doesn't even matter it its a cheap one or an expensive one, some of the best beds I've been in for minimal creaking during sex have cost around the £100 mark.

And the metal beds I've had experience with made enough noise that you could hear the creaking outside.

Granted, that was a £30 Glynwebb bed, but still, I guess it just depends.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    edited March 2009
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »

She's the one who attacks me!

John Matrix on
  • SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is it the frame squeaking or the support structure inside the mattress? On some of the old school ones, theres a metal mesh underneath with springs which you can wd40. If its inside the mattress, then uh.. ya, good luck with that.

Sarcastro on
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »

She's the one who attacks me!

You poor thing.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • MishraMishra Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Pull the screws out and pop in some toothpicks cut to size, then put the screws back it. The toothpick will help the screw hold better and there's less chance of splitting the wood/destroying the frame by using larger screws. Metal on metal is tougher, wd-40 is probably the best you can do.

Mishra on
    "Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
    -Terry Pratchett
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Mishra wrote: »
    Pull the screws out and pop in some toothpicks cut to size, then put the screws back it. The toothpick will help the screw hold better and there's less chance of splitting the wood/destroying the frame by using larger screws. Metal on metal is tougher, wd-40 is probably the best you can do.

That idea sounds like it might help me fix some loose screws in some of my other furniture. See, I knew coming into a topic expecting to read potentially hilarious innuendos would be worth something. Honestly, though ... great idea.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Make it stiffer in general by adding a brace?

I mean if this is your current setup.
     ________
    |        |
    |        |

If you install a set of braces like so
     ________
    |/      \|
    |        |

It will reduce the movement at the joints which will reduce the noise.

Blake T on
  • CruixCruix Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Are you guys sure it's the bed that's squeaking and not the mattress? When I first moved and got a new mattress, I got a kind of cheap one and after about a week the actual mattress itself was squeaking whenever I or my girlfriend moved on it!

I ended up having to get a new one.

Cruix on
    housesig2.gif
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Cruix wrote: »
    Are you guys sure it's the bed that's squeaking and not the mattress? When I first moved and got a new mattress, I got a kind of cheap one and after about a week the actual mattress itself was squeaking whenever I or my girlfriend moved on it!

I ended up having to get a new one.

i think you mean the boxspring as mattresses are usually just full of stuffing and theres nothing to squeak.

if you have an old fashioned box spring with actual coil springs, yeah those squeak but not all of a sudden.

Dunadan019 on
  • Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Get one of them red/yellow condiment containers with the very pointy tip. Fill it with baby powder and squeeze it into every joint and lag on the frame.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
    edited March 2009

What an outstanding idea!

I'll also check the mattress/box deal, but I had the mattress off the bed last time I was fixing it an the squeaking was still there.

John Matrix on
  • MishraMishra Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

What an outstanding idea!

I'll also check the mattress/box deal, but I had the mattress off the bed last time I was fixing it an the squeaking was still there.

I wish I could take credit for the idea but it's actually something guitarists do when the screw for your strap mount gets stripped. Works great on furniture though, toothpicks are currently holding the door to my bathroom on.

Mishra on
    "Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
    -Terry Pratchett
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What about that grip tape that's used to make plumbing bits water-tight?

TL DR on