As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

File Mirroring software

ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
Hey all, So I'm looking for some recommendations of good file mirroring software. Customizable for certain folders/files and times.

I'm mainly looking for something fast, reliable, and preferably something that won't bog down the given systems too much.

I don't mind buying, but I'd like to hear some good user experiences.

Thanks!

Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
FFBE: 898,311,440
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
Elementalor on

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    Operating system?

I've used rsync for lots of stuff between Linux, OS X and Windows.

Echo on
  • ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ah, sorry, Windows. (Vista, XP, Server) Most likely XP though.

Ah, also file verification would be neato.

Elementalor on
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hey all, So I'm looking for some recommendations of good file mirroring software. Customizable for certain folders/files and times.

I'm mainly looking for something fast, reliable, and preferably something that won't bog down the given systems too much.

I don't mind buying, but I'd like to hear some good user experiences.

Thanks!

Damn, I dug out some software to use myself a while back for windows that did this exact thing..

Can't remember the name damn it..

I'll see if I can dig it out of the recesses of my decrepit mind.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dropbox?

Are you looking to back up to other computers, or to removable media?

Daedalus on
    edited March 2009
    Pretty much keeping certain folders mirrored, NAS/attached storage that kind of thing.

I'm in the process of trying the different things you guys have suggested so far. Looking for something that will keep a minimum load on the network.

So far tried folderclone, pretty terrible network bogging/flooding especially when there's nothing for it to do. Which I thought was wierd. Gonna try the rsync and SyncToy next.

Elementalor on
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Looking for something that will keep a minimum load on the network.

rsync. As already suggested.

zeeny on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    rsync can be a huge resource hog if you don't set it up carefully though.

If you get problems running it over ssh, try running an rsync server. It's a bit less secure, but it can be a lot more efficient.

xzzy on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    Pre-emptive note: Windows uses a lower granularity in timestamps for files than Unix, so rsync might get confused and have to recheck a file that still has the same timestamp in both places. Use --modify-window=1 to tell rsync to use less granularity as well.

Had that problem when syncing 6-8 gigs and it insisted on re-checking every file despite the timestamps matching until I discovered that. After that the complete sync takes a few seconds with no files changed.

Echo on
  • RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Rsync doesn't do bidirectional syncs though, doesn't it? Unison would be better suited to that. I'd personally recommend Synctoy instead, though. It's very easy to use and has been rock solid for me.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You can coerce rsync to be "bi-directional" by running it twice. You want to use the -a and -u options, then swap directories for each run.

xzzy on
  • andkoreandkore Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    DirSyncPro

Edit: Link was screwed up

andkore on
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
    -Groucho Marx
    edited March 2009
    Hmmm all very great info, thanks everyone. I'm gonna give rsync a shot tomorrow. And then synctoy Tuesday regardless of how rsync works, just to be sure.

Elementalor on
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hmmm all very great info, thanks everyone. I'm gonna give rsync a shot tomorrow. And then synctoy Tuesday regardless of how rsync works, just to be sure.

I was going to recommend SyncToy. That is a good one to check out. The interface is unusually simple for an MS app and unfortunately that hurts here, as there are just some things that take way to long to do. It does give you several different options for mirroring the files which should cover everything you want. It's worked great for me. I have it running weekly and mirroring folder trees from my main machine over my home network to my media center. It closes itself after running and so I forget it's even there.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad