As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shoulda put a ring of protection +1 on it. (Table top games)

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Squall wrote: »
    especially on a mini

wait how did you know I was on my Mini?

t saru: thanks <3

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Squall wrote: »
    especially on a mini
    wait how did you know I was on my Mini?

MIND POWERS

Squall on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    NP, G!

So for maps that are a bit of a step up from white-board dry-erase markers, Iw as thinking of printing some terrains on paper and then gluing them to cardboard.... but that means I still need to print stuff, and Kinkos was kind of on the more-expensive-than-I-imagined side.

Any ideas for color printing on the cheap?

sarukun on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Vin_Diesel_274395.jpg

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    sarukun wrote: »
    NP, G!

So for maps that are a bit of a step up from white-board dry-erase markers, Iw as thinking of printing some terrains on paper and then gluing them to cardboard.... but that means I still need to print stuff, and Kinkos was kind of on the more-expensive-than-I-imagined side.

Have you considered the official Dungeons Tiles? They're surprisingly good quality and pretty versatile.

What about using cardstock instead of cardboard? It's not as thick, but you can use cardstock from your local office supply store in most inkjet printers, though I'm not sure how the results would turn out.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kinko's is absurdly expensive, it sucks!

Also I'm totally taking some of the druid powers and modifying them for use with monsters. There aren't nearly enough plant-based creatures in the core MM for my liking.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    CRB-27_Crab__HAAS.JPG

anyone wanna go blow up some clanners or something?

:(

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Also I'm still considering running an online campaign, but man do I dislike all the third-party tools for it.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    sarukun wrote: »
    NP, G!

Have you considered the official Dungeons Tiles? They're surprisingly good quality and pretty versatile.

What about using cardstock instead of cardboard? It's not as thick, but you can use cardstock from your local office supply store in most inkjet printers, though I'm not sure how the results would turn out.

I have seen them

there are two problems with them.

The first is the D&D minis. They are yucky. I already play the World of WarCraft Minis Game, so I have tons of those, so the plan for now is to use them instead. However the bases for the WoW Minis are too large for the official D&D tiles, which makes for a LOT of crowding. We tried it already once and I was dissatisfied.

Cardstock is actually not a bad idea, although I'm a little concerned that the weight of the stock itself wouldn't really be enough to allow it to lay flat. Cardboard would mean things line up really well and stay more-or-less put.

If I ever have a lot of disposable income I'd like to make a large wooden "board" with a removable glass cover, with a grid pattern etched into the glass. Remove the glass cover and put down whatever "map" we happen to be on, then close the cover. Bam, easily change-able, sturdy, high quality playing surface.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Kinko's is absurdly expensive, it sucks!

Also I'm totally taking some of the druid powers and modifying them for use with monsters. There aren't nearly enough plant-based creatures in the core MM for my liking.

No idea where else I might be able to do printing like this for cheaper...?

sarukun on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So i found an interesting solution to the Dice Bag thing.

I smoke cigars about twice a week and something hit me.

A single Cigar case.

cnv0358.jpg

That black thing above the cigar is *just* wide enough to fit a d20.

Once I got enough dice, I'm thinking of having a case for each number die. and then maybe painting them or something to tell which case holds which dice.

I'm pretty excited about it.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    All pasting felt to the bottoms of our minis so as to minimize scratches.

Nogs, that's fucking awesome and smart as hell.

sarukun on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    phb2 is so fucking baller it is unreal

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Nice one, Nogs.

Saru, I have two buddies that worked at a glass shop; We've got a big ass 4x4 piece of glass to lay on top of our maps, though the etching might be tricky.

What about this site? Not sure if that's more than what you got quoted from Kinkos, though.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    Nogs wrote: »
    So i found an interesting solution to the Dice Bag thing.

I smoke cigars about twice a week and something hit me.

A single Cigar case.

cnv0358.jpg

That black thing above the cigar is *just* wide enough to fit a d20.

Once I got enough dice, I'm thinking of having a case for each number die. and then maybe painting them or something to tell which case holds which dice.

I'm pretty excited about it.
    that is fucking brilliant

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    nobody ever wants to shoot clanners

this is why I don't table top

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Nice one, Nogs.

Saru, I have two buddies that worked at a glass shop; We've got a big ass 4x4 piece of glass to lay on top of our maps, though the etching might be tricky.

What about this site? Not sure if that's more than what you got quoted from Kinkos, though.

Dang, bro, you are awesome, thanks a lot!

I will crunch numbers.

Etching isn't particularly difficult, what is hard is etching so that everything is scaled correctly.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Seriously, the sorcerer is awesome. I really want to make a Wild Mage.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    so I'm going through my archive of the music from Warhammer Online

44 tracks, none of them even labeled as to context

so I gotta sort them as to when I'd want to play them during a game - environmental, dungeon or combat

not a bad job, just tedious

so much awesome music though

between oblivion, fallout 3, mount & blade and WaR, I'm pretty well set

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009

the bard is off the chain

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I so jealous

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    home-header-photo.jpg

The look on his face is incredibly funny.

'You idiots, you're over here.'

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

And the art is so far past PHB1. There's weak spots, but most of the stuff is miles better.

Better feats as well. Damn. It's just so nice.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    How does multiclassing work in 4E, anyway? I've never been entirely clear on that.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Another thing that can really improve the look of a tabletop: miniature furniture.

I've bought a bunch of old HeroQuest bits, and parts of the now defunct Mage Knight: Dungeons line off eBay for pretty cheap. Bookcases, tombs, tables and chairs (which made for an awesome fight in Keep on the Shadowfell as the hobgoblins kicked over tables to fire at the PCs w crossbows) and other little bits can keep the players engaged, and sometimes it'll lead to some creative uses of the terrain.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    How does multiclassing work in 4E, anyway? I've never been entirely clear on that.

You take a feat which gives you a watered down version of a class ability of whatever class you want (and maybe a skill). Later on, you can take feats to exchange your current classes abilities with those of your multi. Kinda a bear.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited March 2009
    that's a great idea SH

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I need to invest more in props for my dungeons. Wingin' it just ain't the same.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I loved Mage Knight. I pretty much adore all tabletop gaming, but I have never been into it when I had spare cash.

Swill on
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dubh wrote: »

You take a feat which gives you a watered down version of a class ability of whatever class you want (and maybe a skill). Later on, you can take feats to exchange your current classes abilities with those of your multi. Kinda a bear.

That sounds sort of lame.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    It is pretty lame, I think we were planning on house ruling it to something like 'Take the feat, now you can gain your new class' power when you can pick powers."

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The one thing I really really really wish WotC would do is release 'themed' miniatures packs. Like 'Undead' or 'Goblins' and have an assortment of those creatures in each pack. I've heard they're changing around how they do the packs of minis, and that would be a great way to do it.

Oh, and for anyone who plays ZOMBIES!!! the tabletop game, those are handy as stock monsters.

Another idea! Use poker chips, or old cool-looking coins, or something for you players to hold on to to represent Action Points. Oftentimes they'll forget they have access to'em, and it's a visceral reward when you hand'em one for reaching a Milestone.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    We'll make that the plan, and change it back if it leads to some unknown horrors (doubtful).

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited March 2009
    I think I've used action points once or twice, but I always forget, yeah.

We mostly just use random reaper miniatures that Dubh has.

I thought WotC was planning to release themed miniatures instead of random grab-bags of stuff?

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    If they release cheap bags of assorted, plastic stuff I would SO buy those.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited March 2009
    Moriveth on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh man. I only play online, but I want those.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Supposedly Wizards is going to be revamping its minatures line to cater more to the RPG crowd this spring/summer, and have themed packs where you know what you're getting and that sort of thing.

This sorta deal would actually make me want to buy D&D minis because random packs suck.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I really like Reaper minis, and would like to get more.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I really like Reaper minis but I just don't want to paint.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
This discussion has been closed.