As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Shoulda put a ring of protection +1 on it. (Table top games)

1575859606163»

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My first thread to make it to 100. I'm so proud.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    As7 wrote: »
    Tonkka wrote: »
    Man, I wanna play some roleplayinz.

I'm in a game with Rank and friends but if we could arrange something with some other people I wouldn't mind playing more often. Cap and WaM have expressed interest in trying 4e out. We'd need a DM but I almost wouldn't mind DMing, myself, if I had all the necessary resources (which I do not, yet).

Hmmmmmm...

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    DMing is the most rewarding thing when it goes well and everyone is having fun. It's also the worst thing when people seem bored or there's drama between players.

Abracadaniel on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I found out yesterday that I can not purposefully make a light-hearted adventure. Playing with a handful of fifth graders, I pulled the statue trick from Eternal Darkness. Then they pushed a statue over and a wraith came out seeking revenge.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Running a D&D game for a bunch of young kids who have never played a tabletop roleplaying game before can be both incredibly rewarding and suicide-inducingly frustrating.

A lot of kids these days are at least familiar with the basic mechanical concepts of roleplaying games, thanks to video games mostly (and WoW, especially).

So it usually doesn't take them long to wrap their heads around concepts like class, level, or hit points.

Getting them into the actual roleplaying part of things is tricky but when it works, you watch as a whole new world of gameplay dawns on their little heads and that is pretty awesome.

Pony on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Taking baby steps. Still referring to them by real name, rather than character name (unless they request differently :^:).

For the most part, the boys are still stuck on trying to kick other PCs in the balls and flipping off monsters.

Getting them to be excited about classes and races was pretty easy. One girl was elated by the idea of being a dragonborn sorcerer.

I found that shocking imagery tends to get their attention, more. That statue thing ended up working incredibly well; I had way more of their attention span than I was used to. We never get really far, but they enjoy the fuck out of anything I throw their way.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Have them meet a spunky goblin named Sam, who joins they're party and is helpful and helps them fight off monsters.
    In the night, have Sam slit one of their throats.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
This discussion has been closed.