As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Purchasing an 800 number for a business.

Liquid HellzLiquid Hellz Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Anyone know of a service that sells 800 numbers for a flat rate? I would like to be able to set it up so it forwards the phone calls only between 8am and 4pm. I also would like it to transcribe messages into text/email and have them stored somewhere so I can log in a view them. Be nice if it also recorded the number/name/address of person who called.

What I do for a living:
Home Inspection and Wind Mitigation
http://www.FairWindInspections.com/
Liquid Hellz on

• Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    What kind of a business are we talking about? A business or a "business"?

Most carriers (AT&T, Verizon, etc) will sell you a toll-free number and basic services that go with it. If you want the numbers to terminate at the carrier after hours, you'll pay extra for that.

If your business is already up and running, you probably already have a carrier terminating lines at your premises. That's the carrier you want to go to for the TFN.

The other stuff you want (messaging, e-mailing messages, etc) isn't usually covered by the carrier (that I've ever heard). You usually have to buy a third party system (Cisco Unity Express, for example) to have those functions. If you don't know how to set it up, prepare to spend more money hiring a tech or hiring a contractor to do it for you.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    Enos316Enos316 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You might also be interested in Google voice when it comes out, it should be free:

Google Voice

Enos316 on

Enos.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yeah I want that Google Voice, but this can't wait we need a number soon. We are going to be putting ads into local magazines and receiving calls for our service. We are currently with Sprint. I don't understand what you mean by terminate. I still want to be able to receive calls to the 800 number after hours I just don't want my phone ringing from them... just have it go straight to voice mail.

Liquid Hellz on
    What I do for a living:
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Would buying a prepaid cellphone, and thereby a separate number, be a short-term possibility?

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah I want that Google Voice, but this can't wait we need a number soon. We are going to be putting ads into local magazines and receiving calls for our service. We are currently with Sprint. I don't understand what you mean by terminate. I still want to be able to receive calls to the 800 number after hours I just don't want my phone ringing from them... just have it go straight to voice mail.

If you're talking about a landline phone then just turn the volume down after hours. It's not totally silent, but it's certainly a cost free alternative. My phone I can turn down so low that you can't hear it unless you're sitting right in front of it.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Prepaid would be the same as getting another phone, the thing is I don't want to carry two phones around. Ill be going to peoples homes and doing inspections.

Liquid Hellz on
    What I do for a living:
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Prepaid would be the same as getting another phone, the thing is I don't want to carry two phones around. Ill be going to peoples homes and doing inspections.

Well, yes and no. You could keep the phone on or near you, like in your car or whatnot, so you can get those messages on your phone ASAP. Or you could routinely check the messages from another phone, your normal everyday use phone or whathaveyou.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!