The holiday hangout will go online tomorrow! If there's anything in the regular subforums that you're going to want to access over the holidays, copy it now while it's still accessible.
Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Steam and Microphone with a Twist

CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a cheap Labtec microphone with 3.5mm jack (This or something very similar) and it seems to work fine until Steam is running. I can record with the standard Windows recorder and Audacity picks it up, but if I open Steam then Audacity doesn't detect it any more and if I press record on Sound Recorder it gives me this error:
Error wrote:
Your audio hardware cannot record into files like the current file. To record, create a new document.

Obviously this also means that it doesn't work for Steam. Searching for solutions it appears people usually have problems inside a game, but I don't even need to get that far for problems to arise. If I then close Steam, everything goes back to working dandily without me doing anything else. My microphone is plugged into the front because since I first built my computer my speaker and microphone plug-ins in the back haven't played nicely with me.

The libertarian response to anything is, "Sure, that works fine in practice, but it doesn't fly in theory."