As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On] Tetris Friends - Official Tetris Online Beta

ZekZek Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Games and Technology
http://www.tetrisfriends.com/

Game Modes:
-- Tetris Marathon -- Complete 15 levels to win the game.
-- Tetris Sprint -- Clear 40 lines as fast as you can!
-- Tetris Survival -- Survive through 20 levels of Tetris and earn as many points as you can!
-- Tetris Ultra -- Score as many points as possible within two minutes.
-- Tetris Sprint 5P -- Clear 40 lines faster than four opponents and rank up.
-- Tetris Battle 2P -- Play a two-minute game against an opponent in competitive action!

It's got leaderboards, replays of everybody's best scores, skill-based matchmaking, points to buy fluff unlocks, etc. Pretty cool stuff. Sadly friend lists are still in progress though so you're limited to playing with strangers for now. I'm just happy to find a more mainstream replacement for Tetris DS' random 1v1.

Zek on

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    alternately if you are a true tetris badass play this

Zek on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This looks really cool. I've always sucked at Tetris, though. :(

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Definitely playing this after work.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    :(

It's awesome; I've been playing off-and-on. Perfect for three minutes of frantic mad cubicle gaming. I don't know if there's a way to play against actual humans; I suspect the versus modes are just playing against other people's ghosts.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's awesome but the controls throw me off. After so much DS Tetris, I keep trying to push space to turn and up to hard drop. It doesn't work like that :(

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
    edited March 2009
    Kaseius wrote: »
    It's awesome but the controls throw me off. After so much DS Tetris, I keep trying to push space to turn and up to hard drop. It doesn't work like that :(

You can adjust the keyboard controls to whatever you'd like. I have moving and rotating on the keypad, space to hard-drop, Shift to soft-drop and D to hold, and it's working pretty well.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah it does seem like Versus might technically playing against ghosts though it's hard to prove. If so hopefully that's only a Beta thing.

Zek on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wait. Is this a free, official, popular way for me to gage my skill against other people? With ranks and leaderboards? CRAP. You sir, are going to be my undoing.

Zek wrote: »
    Yeah it does seem like Versus might technically playing against ghosts though it's hard to prove. If so hopefully that's only a Beta thing.

It's almost certainly doing that; there's always an instant match, and lag doesn't matter. They just need to take this concept one step farther and introduce a mode which lets you battle against yourself. Tell me that wouldn't be sweet.

Edit: Yeah... it's definitely a ghost. Beat the same guy twice in the same round. ^_^

Frem on
    edited March 2009
    I figured out I was playing against ghosts when I was able to pause my multiplayer game and come back to it later. :P Still, the game is a lot of fun, though the keyboard is terrible once the blocks starting falling so fast it's almost an instant drop. I got to level 14 in Marathon mode but couldn't clinch the last 20 lines or so; you have to clear something like 50-60 lines each in the last few levels to advance, which becomes brutal.

Lunker on
  • BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Zek wrote: »
    If memory serves, they call it "asynchronous" vs. mode. The "asynchronous" means you're not really playing at the same time as the other player (i.e. you're playing against a ghost).

I'm not sure I should post this, since I fear it might be considered threadjacking...but for my money, the best online flash tetris clone is Blockbox. It's nowhere near as flashy as Tetris Friends, and it's just getting off the ground, so nobody really plays yet. However, it's a much faster game and has actual multiplayer. It's also not a "guideline" game, which is generally a good thing. (The single-player modes are largely based off of the TGM series, which is sort of like a tetris cult classic.)

Billmaan on