As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Virus or not [Solved Can Lock]

BathTubbBathTubb Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
My mom called me the other day saying that her computer has a virus on it. So When i got to check it out it was the System Security program that is buit in to windows Vista. It is not the program that she was step up with for virus protection so when you say remove the "virus" it takes her to a webpage asking her to pay. So I scanned it using the Norton she paid for, and nothing came up. I am going to scan it with AVG just to make sure. If nothing comes up from that how do I do make the warnings stop. Thanks in advance.

Steam-BathTubb Xbox Live - Bathtubb
BathTubb on

• Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sounds pretty shady to me. But more like malware than a virus.

Spybot search and destroy time.

Or Malwarebytes? Can't remember the name, but lots of people seem to be using it.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    BathTubb wrote: »
    My mom called me the other day saying that her computer has a virus on it. So When i got to check it out it was the System Security program that is buit in to windows Vista. It is not the program that she was step up with for virus protection so when you say remove the "virus" it takes her to a webpage asking her to pay. So I scanned it using the Norton she paid for, and nothing came up. I am going to scan it with AVG just to make sure. If nothing comes up from that how do I do make the warnings stop. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like some scareware, rather than anything built into windows. I've seen a few that made me think for a bit before figuring out it was an IE window. In other news, check which web browser she's using. I've pretty much settled on Chrome having the best browsing experience, and anecdotally, it's apparently pretty hard to exploit too.

Rook on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Windows Security Center likes to warn you any time you turn one of its features off. Or if your third-party anti virus is out of date. In XP there's a setting called "Change how security center alerts me" or something like that, where you can tell it not to warn you if you've shut something off. I don't know what the setting is in Vista, though.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    eternalbl wrote: »
    Sounds pretty shady to me. But more like malware than a virus.

Spybot search and destroy time.

Or Malwarebytes? Can't remember the name, but lots of people seem to be using it.

I ran Spybot, it did not solve the problem

BathTubb on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Rook wrote: »

Sounds like some scareware, rather than anything built into windows. I've seen a few that made me think for a bit before figuring out it was an IE window. In other news, check which web browser she's using. I've pretty much settled on Chrome having the best browsing experience, and anecdotally, it's apparently pretty hard to exploit too.

It shows up on the tool bar by the time and other things that run in the background. It shows up every couple of minuets.

BathTubb on
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    it's probably windows antivirus 2010 which is a virus.

go to safe mode and msconfig disable all startup items except her normal antivirus or if you aren't comfortable with leaving something run on minimal startup. you'll still have the virus on the machine but it won't be running. if you want to pull it off manually you can now do it. otherwise it's never running so don't bother removing it

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

go to safe mode and msconfig disable all startup items except her normal antivirus or if you aren't comfortable with leaving something run on minimal startup. you'll still have the virus on the machine but it won't be running. if you want to pull it off manually you can now do it. otherwise it's never running so don't bother removing it

Is there a guide to getting the virus off?

EDIT: I am good with computers but not good enough to figure it out.

BathTubb on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

not really. i used to get this a lot fixing computers. no antivirus can catch it, nor will any popup blocker. when you're in msconfig it will tell you where the stored location is and you can remove it from there once you've disabled it. sadly it's probably attatched itself to some windows files by now (including your system restore function) so the only way to drop it entirely is to format.

it's a pretty viciuos virus. i can get it off if I'm in front of it but not without sitting in front of the computer

• Options
    edited March 2009

not really. i used to get this a lot fixing computers. no antivirus can catch it, nor will any popup blocker. when you're in msconfig it will tell you where the stored location is and you can remove it from there once you've disabled it. sadly it's probably attatched itself to some windows files by now (including your system restore function) so the only way to drop it entirely is to format.

it's a pretty viciuos virus. i can get it off if I'm in front of it but not without sitting in front of the computer

Will I be able to get pictures off of it before I reformat or are those probably infected?

BathTubb on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Will I be able to get pictures off of it before I reformat or are those probably infected?
    the virus only affects .com .bat and .exe files.

mpeg, mp3, jpg, and .doc are all fine.

basically you should be able to save all of your music, pictures, and word files. i wouldn't save anything past that without double checking on here

• Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Before you trash everything, a quick google search shows malwarebytes removes winantivirus.

Its worth a shot, its free - www.malwarebytes.org.

Cnet reviews are good, so you can be relatively sure its not gonna have its own spyware in with it.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    eternalbl wrote: »
    Before you trash everything, a quick google search shows malwarebytes removes winantivirus.

Its worth a shot, its free - www.malwarebytes.org.

Cnet reviews are good, so you can be relatively sure its not gonna have its own spyware in with it.

Quoted and limed for truthiness.

Malwarebytes will get rid of this.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    ooh snap. when did they update to catch this?

I'll have to bookmark this because i could use it all the time

• Options
    edited March 2009
    I will try Malwarebytes tomorrow when I go back there.

BathTubb on
  • Options
    blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Just wanted to pop in, and re-iterate Malware bytes. its the ONLY thing I've found to get rid of the sonovabitch

blakfeld on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Also came by to say I had this exact same thing. Malwarebytes will get rid of it. Do a full scan, though. It will take a good hour or so, but just let it do its thing.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    AVG picked it up and removed thanks for all the help.

BathTubb on