As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Recommend me: Digital SLR camera

chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny WhoreOregonRegistered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'd like to upgrade from a regular digital point and shoot to a digital SLR. I just want a little better control and quality to my photos.

What I'd like to have:
1. Something user/beginner friendly. I don't intend to beat it with a thigh bone to figure out how to work it, but I'd like something intuitive.
2. Upper price limit of $800 with a basic lens kit.
3. Fits well in my grip, and is easily portable
4. What I'd need for a good set of everyday lenses.

If anyone could give me some pointers on what to look for and what to avoid, it would be great. And if you'd like to tout a particular model, that's super too. If you've commented in any recent threads, I've probably seen it and searched for it, so no need to retype. Also, I heard rumor that Cannon is soon to be releasing an SLR that is pretty close to point and shoot- anyone know the model number of that? i intend to spend a good amoutn of time in some camera stores before purchasing, but I'm just a bit overwhelmed at all the stuff out there.

(Didn't there used to be a big thread on this in the Artists' Corner? I can't find it...)

Thanks!

chaosisorder on

• yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Okay, ignoring the issue of lenses of choice and availability thereof for the moment, go fiddle with a Canon XSi and a Nikon D40 or D60 or somesuch. These're the entry-levels for their brands. Figure out which control arrangement you prefer. The rest can be figured out.

yalborap on
  • saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What yalborap said. The Canon and Nikon cameras in that range are all pretty much the same and the pictures you get out of them will be indistinguishable as to what camera they came out of so just get the one that feels best in your hands.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I agree with the 2 above. I'd go with the cannon XSi personally, but I have cannon stuff.

The only think I would add to think about is that once you pick a brand...Canon, Nikon...whatever...you'll probably be sticking with it ;-) so you might want to read up and check out the feel of some of their other cameras too

Thylacine on
  • garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I own a Nikon D40. Its my first SLR and although it is easy to use, very portable, and an overall great camera, I'm finding that not having the AF motor in the body is a HUGE drawback when considering buying new lenses. I'm basically limited to buying the DX model lenses unless I want to be manually focusing everything.

I'm sure you will find the D40 to be a great beginner SLR, but if you think you'll be wanting to delve into more than just the kit lens then you might want to consider something a step up.

garroad_ran on
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    While you're having a look at the Rebel line, the TLi just dropped tonight. Just a thought.

Uncle Long on
  • Woot427Woot427 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I own a Nikon D40. Its my first SLR and although it is easy to use, very portable, and an overall great camera, I'm finding that not having the AF motor in the body is a HUGE drawback when considering buying new lenses. I'm basically limited to buying the DX model lenses unless I want to be manually focusing everything.

I'm sure you will find the D40 to be a great beginner SLR, but if you think you'll be wanting to delve into more than just the kit lens then you might want to consider something a step up.

With an upper price limit of $800, he could go the D80 route and have an AF motor in the body. I have a D80 and love it, and my mom actually has a D40 and her main gripe is the same as garroad.

Depending on the kind of shots you'd be taking, I would get the nikkor 50mm f/1.8 lens. It's amazingly cheap and takes great shots.

As for portablity, i have this backpack:
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Deluxe-Backpack-200EG-Cameras/dp/B00009R6TA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1237994577&sr=8-1

Yes, a nikon camera in a canon bag...and the bag has plenty of extra room so i carry my netbook to edit pictures with lightroom on the go.

Edit: well, i guess D80s have come up in price since i got one. They're about $150 more expensive which puts it over your $800...

Woot427 on
  • BalgairBalgair Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    D60, D40x, D40 will eventually become a major pain when you want to pick up some extra lenses. You'll probably have to pay considerably more for AF-S. However, these are all good entry-level DSLRs in other respects.

Canon XS series is good news as well.

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned Pentax, but their reputation is really growing. I've had two Pentax DSLRs that were very capable. I'd say the K200d is as good as a D60. However, if you plan on really developing the hobby or pursuing professional photography, you'll probably want to just buy Nikon/Canon now, so you can start to establish a lens collection.

Balgair on
    XBL:VOS THE VARG
  • AlphariusAlpharius Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I spent a little more and started with a Nikon D80, I'd heartily recommend it

Alpharius on
    Check out my 40k blog: WarHamSandwich
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Canon literally just announced the Rebel T1i, the latest model. It basically has the same sensor as in their higher end model (50D) and the ability to take 1080p HD video. It retails for 900 with the lens kit. Even if you don't want to buy it, if you wait a little while the prices of the Rebel XSi and XS will probably come down some because of this new release.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I did a bunch of research at
    http://www.cameralabs.com/
    a year ago and ended up buying an Olympus evolt510 with the dual lens kit for about $800 CAD.

It's an amazing camera, I couldn't be happier, and it recently won an award for best entry level digital SLR, beating out canon's much touted rebel (although I've used a friends rebel and it is also a very good camera).

Whatever you decide on after doing some research, go to the store and hold some cameras in your hand, take some photos and see how you like it.

My Olympus for example has a tendency to flash multiple times on default settings in low light....warning people that the flash goes off multiple times is annoying but my photos never have red eye, so obviously this is a feature that is working as intended and I can always bypass it by choosing my own flash setting (got some cool photos of pitch black caves with the slow flash!).

Also, if you go to picasa you can browse photos and see what camera and lens was used to take the photo, which is kinda neat.

Dman on
  • Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Skip Olympus DSLRs unless you really, really want a tiny camera. Their itty-bitty sensors are prone to noise issues and make even a super-wide lens fairly normal (2x crop factor to think of their lenses in 35mm terms). The E-420 is pretty groovy as far as pocketable DSLRs go, though.

You can't lose with Canon/Nikon. For that budget, a used D80 would be your best bet. Pentax is also grand, as pointed out, but they are missing a few things - high ISO noise isn't great and AF performance isn't stellar. This really limits you in you ability to shoot in really low light handheld (concert, wedding photography) and fast stuff (sports, birds). If none of those things are thing you ever plan on doing, consider a used K20D. I run a K10D (K20D is a K10D with a new sensor strapped in it, essentially) as my main digital body myself - if you're curious about what that camera can do, my flickr is linked in my sig.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Thanks all- I spent time in a few different camera stores today. I really like how sturdy the Pentax models fell, but they are just a bit heavy for me. I'm probably going to end up with the Canon Rebel XSi. Why the hell can't we have the EOS naming convention? The lettering is frack all confusing.

New question- once I get comfortable with the camera, what's a good place to buy lenses?

chaosisorder on
  • saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I buy pretty much all of my camera stuff online from B&H, Adorama, and KEH. Locally I buy from Calumet. These places have very good prices and are very reliable, if you see some place online with prices significantly cheaper than these there's a good chance it's a bait & switch scam. I try to do most of my business with B&H because they ship the fastest and have the best customer service. I highly recommend buying your camera there.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils