As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Katamari DamacyTRIBUTE: New Katamari Damacy? HD? First video!

AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Games and Technology
http://kotaku.com/5183056/katamari-damacy-in-glorious-full-hd

Basically, Katamari Damacy in full HD, more items, and oh yes A NEW KATAMARI DAMACY!

Just announced, so hopefully more info will be coming soon.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47253.html

So they've actually created a newer sort of art style by adding... stroke lines? It looks more detailed, but it still has that simple charm.

I like it. :D

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
Antihippy on

• Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I do not have a PS3 so this makes me very jealous in a way. At the same time I take pleasure in knowing that people who couldn't deal with awful PS2 graphics get a chance to experience this wonderful game. I will take even more pleasure in hearing new cries of frustration as the first timers get to those cow and bear levels.

Gilder on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh Shits. Any 360 love?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    oh sweet!

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ...I thought the creator was done with this series.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited March 2009

He didn't have anything to do with the earlier 360 version or the PSP one.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Burtletoy wrote: »

He didn't have anything to do with the earlier 360 version or the PSP one.

...And since they're calling this one "TRIBUTE", I doubt he has anything to do with it, either.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Noby Noby Boy is getting some type of online multiplayer, so I'm sure he's busy with that.

Also, the Kotaku article doesn't mention a platform...

Sheep on
  • Options
    JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    Noby Noby Boy is getting some type of online multiplayer, so I'm sure he's busy with that.

Also, the Kotaku article doesn't mention a platform...

The article seems to be only tagged for PS3, there is no mention of X360 at all.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, Kotaku tagging something doesn't really hold much weight with anyone.

I'll check GAF to see. If I'm not back in five minutes, send in a RAD team.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That's why I asked. Didn't see anything in the pictures that suggested a platform and no one owns a PS3, m i rite?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Didn't Beautiful Katamari kind of blow? I'm wary of anything done without the creator on board.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Didn't Beautiful Katamari kind of blow? I'm wary of anything done without the creator on board.
    not...really? it wasnt as amazing as the original, but it was certainly far from "blowing"

wait, beautiful katamari was the x360 one right? the psp one did blow, if i remember

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    YMCK on the soundtrack is perfect for this. It'd also be nice to see Yu Miyake back for more, though.

Ro-o-o-nery rolling star...:whistle:

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Houk wrote: »
    not...really? it wasnt as amazing as the original, but it was certainly far from "blowing"

wait, beautiful katamari was the x360 one right? the psp one did blow, if i remember

It blew in the sense that half the levels were on the goddamn disk, but required paying money to activiate.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    OcculusOcculus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Antihippy wrote: »
    http://kotaku.com/5183056/katamari-damacy-in-glorious-full-hd

Basically, Katamari Damacy in full HD, more items, and oh yes A NEW KATAMARI DAMACY!

Just announced, so hopefully more info will be coming soon.

Okay. Is there any chance under the sun that anything in this franchise will ever appear for the PC?

A Katamari SDK would make me need to wash my pants.

I say this with fierce conviction.

Occulus on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This sounds awesome, especially if it'll be a downloadable title, since at least then there wouldn't be extra levels on the disc for Namco to charge for.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »

It blew in the sense that half the levels were on the goddamn disk, but required paying money to activiate.

All the download levels were either on the disc, or just recycled content from the disc, as they were all tiny downloads. The game is okay, not as good as the originals, but not terrible.

The PSP version is pretty much unplayable by me due to the controls (right stick mapped to face buttons.) The controls on the 360 suffer slightly because the thumb sticks are not even, but its easily overcome after a few minutes of play.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

All the download levels were either on the disc, or just recycled content from the disc, as they were all tiny downloads. The game is okay, not as good as the originals, but not terrible.

The PSP version is pretty much unplayable by me due to the controls (right stick mapped to face buttons.) The controls on the 360 suffer slightly because the thumb sticks are not even, but its easily overcome after a few minutes of play.
    An hour of playing the PSP version and the controls are FINE! :x

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

that part did blow a lot

also what blew is i spent about 3-4 hours unlocking all the hidden stuff and didnt realize/remember there was no auto-save until after turning off my system

my own fault but still blew

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    First video added in OP.

The new cel-shaded style looks sweet.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'm very confused about this game, as that video has levels from both of the first games, and lots of completely new stuff. Not that I'm complaining, but I guess I don't get why they don't just call this another new KD game.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm very confused about this game, as that video has levels from both of the first games, and lots of completely new stuff. Not that I'm complaining, but I guess I don't get why they don't just call this another new KD game.

They could easily call it an extended cut. Think about it that way, complete first game, remastered, with levels from the second and all new levels. It's like a Directors Cut.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited March 2009

They could easily call it an extended cut. Think about it that way, complete first game, remastered, with levels from the second and all new levels. It's like a Directors Cut.

Not really the director's cut since I don't think takahashi is working on them anymore. :P

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Not really the director's cut since I don't think takahashi is working on them anymore. :P

Semantics.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I just hope this time all the content is playable from the get-go without charging us twice for the game.

Djiem on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    First video added in OP.

The new cel-shaded style looks sweet.

The soundtrack should not disappoint either, by the looks of it. I wonder how much will be original content from those artists?

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hmm... I've only played the first two Katamari games, but the trailer makes me want a PS3 to re-experience them once again, eh? As noted earlier, it does seem to have levels from both the original Katamari Damacy and its sequel We Love Katamari, along with a number of remixes of the songs included in both games, as well as all-new levels. Should be interesting to see if it lives up to expectations...

EDIT: And having just watched a gameplay video of Beautiful Katamari, it seems that TRIBUTE should include levels from that game as well? It's shaping up to be an interesting compilation.
    EDIT 2: Actually... most of what was shown in that video was from Beautiful Katamari. My interest has turned slightly toward suspicion. At least the soundtrack should be good.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Demo was released last week, and I believe the game proper releases this week.

Anyone know much about this edition? Are we going to get gouged by DLC?

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Hmm... I've only played the first two Katamari games, but the trailer makes me want a PS3 to re-experience them once again, eh? As noted earlier, it does seem to have levels from both the original Katamari Damacy and its sequel We Love Katamari, along with a number of remixes of the songs included in both games, as well as all-new levels. Should be interesting to see if it lives up to expectations...

EDIT: And having just watched a gameplay video of Beautiful Katamari, it seems that TRIBUTE should include levels from that game as well? It's shaping up to be an interesting compilation.
    EDIT 2: Actually... most of what was shown in that video was from Beautiful Katamari. My interest has turned slightly toward suspicion. At least the soundtrack should be good.

BK was, at one point, supposed to come out on both the 360 and the PS3. The PS3 date started slipping, and was eventually put off indefinitely, while never being truely cancelled.

I imagine that KF is what grew out of the PS3 BK.

Evander on
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    i think katamari is a game that belongs on the Wii and since namcobandai doesnt agree, we wont be friends.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Your mom belongs on the Wii.

Dirty on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    carmofin wrote: »
    i think katamari is a game that belongs on the Wii and since namcobandai doesnt agree, we wont be friends.

I don't agree with you. Katamari needs dual sticks, and trying to sub the Wiimote for a stick would get old fast.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well, think all you want -- Katamari Forever is out on Wednesday.

The demo is pretty straightforward -- it's a KD game after all -- but the cel-shaded graphic option looks fantastic.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    EggyToast wrote: »
    The demo is pretty straightforward -- it's a KD game after all -- but the cel-shaded graphic option looks fantastic.

Are you able to select the graphic filters in the demo, or is it just the one?

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well, think all you want -- Katamari Forever is out on Wednesday.

Everything I see says September 22nd - next wednesday.

Are we going to post online IDs or anything for this? Like for multiplayer and/or online rankings? I'm still psyched about being ranked in the 50s worldwide for my sun katamari in the 360 game(sag616 is my gamertag).

Edit: wait, what? is Amazon releasing it sooner than everyone else or something?

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    the demo is really fun for this. once i hopefully hear good things about this not going to way of beautiful katamari with the dlc shenanigans i am all over this game.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Amazon has the 16th, so they simply might start shipping on that date. I just placed a preorder because, well, I actually never owned a previous KD game (didn't own a PS2), and Amazon's usual $3 off.

I'll let you guys know if it actually ships out on the 16th or not. And in the demo, it defaults to the "comic" theme, but if there's a way to change it I can't find it. It looks like color and graphics are the big difference in this one (and the 1080p), since there's a "fill in the colors" thing going on in some levels as well.

EggyToast on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Amazon has the 16th, so they simply might start shipping on that date. I just placed a preorder because, well, I actually never owned a previous KD game (didn't own a PS2), and Amazon's usual $3 off.

I'll let you guys know if it actually ships out on the 16th or not. And in the demo, it defaults to the "comic" theme, but if there's a way to change it I can't find it. It looks like color and graphics are the big difference in this one (and the 1080p), since there's a "fill in the colors" thing going on in some levels as well.

Amazon has a bad habit of being totally fucking wrong about things like this, especially when they're the only ones saying this week.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, I agree. They were the last to change their dates for Little Big Planet last year, as well.

Still, I get 3% back from Amazon, there's no tax, they ship for free, and they discount their games by $3, so I pretty much always buy games from them.

EggyToast on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, I agree. They were the last to change their dates for Little Big Planet last year, as well.

Still, I get 3% back from Amazon, there's no tax, they ship for free, and they discount their games by $3, so I pretty much always buy games from them.

In addition, ECA membership nets you a seemingly infinite number of 10% coupons with Amazon towards games and accessories. 1-year ECA membership is free with coupon code GIMAG.

Admittedly, the Amazon codes were problematic earlier today due to popularity, but I was able to get 3 preorders in over the last couple days.

Katamari is costing me $42.29 with free shipping.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png