As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You sank my battleship (with a Chinese ASBM)!

citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizenI'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
edited April 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
So this is in the news today:

https://www.usni.org/forthemedia/ChineseKillWeapon.asp
Report: Chinese Develop Special "Kill Weapon" to Destroy U.S. Aircraft Carriers

Advanced missile poses substantial new threat for U.S. Navy

With tensions already rising due to the Chinese navy becoming more aggressive in asserting its territorial claims in the South China Sea, the U.S. Navy seems to have yet another reason to be deeply concerned.

After years of conjecture, details have begun to emerge of a "kill weapon" developed by the Chinese to target and destroy U.S. aircraft carriers.

First posted on a Chinese blog viewed as credible by military analysts and then translated by the naval affairs blog Information Dissemination, a recent report provides a description of an anti-ship ballistic missile (ASBM) that can strike carriers and other U.S. vessels at a range of 2000km.

The range of the modified Dong Feng 21 missile is significant in that it covers the areas that are likely hot zones for future confrontations between U.S. and Chinese surface forces.

The size of the missile enables it to carry a warhead big enough to inflict significant damage on a large vessel, providing the Chinese the capability of destroying a U.S. supercarrier in one strike.

Because the missile employs a complex guidance system, low radar signature and a maneuverability that makes its flight path unpredictable, the odds that it can evade tracking systems to reach its target are increased. It is estimated that the missile can travel at mach 10 and reach its maximum range of 2000km in less than 12 minutes.

Supporting the missile is a network of satellites, radar and unmanned aerial vehicles that can locate U.S. ships and then guide the weapon, enabling it to hit moving targets.

While the ASBM has been a topic of discussion within national defense circles for quite some time, the fact that information is now coming from Chinese sources indicates that the weapon system is operational. The Chinese rarely mention weapons projects unless they are well beyond the test stages.

If operational as is believed, the system marks the first time a ballistic missile has been successfully developed to attack vessels at sea. Ships currently have no defense against a ballistic missile attack.

Along with the Chinese naval build-up, U.S. Navy officials appear to view the development of the anti-ship ballistic missile as a tangible threat.

After spending the last decade placing an emphasis on building a fleet that could operate in shallow waters near coastlines, the U.S. Navy seems to have quickly changed its strategy over the past several months to focus on improving the capabilities of its deep sea fleet and developing anti-ballistic defenses.

As analyst Raymond Pritchett notes in a post on the U.S. Naval Institute blog:

"The Navy's reaction is telling, because it essentially equals a radical change in direction based on information that has created a panic inside the bubble. For a major military service to panic due to a new weapon system, clearly a mission kill weapon system, either suggests the threat is legitimate or the leadership of the Navy is legitimately unqualified. There really aren't many gray spaces in evaluating the reaction by the Navy…the data tends to support the legitimacy of the threat."

In recent years, China has been expanding its navy to presumably better exert itself in disputed maritime regions. A recent show of strength in early March led to a confrontation with an unarmed U.S. ship in international waters.

So is anyone more familiar with the US/China situation that can shed some light on what this sort of thing means?

We hear of things from time to time, from documents to spy plane incidents, that show that the Chinese government really isn't too fond of the good ol' U.S. of A.

Is this just posturing? Foreshadowing of future conflict? Navy propaganda designed to make us scared of the warm, fuzzy, peace-loving Chinese? According to this source, the Navy is taking it seriously enough to find ways to counter it.

Again, I don't often follow this type of stuff, but the article made me a bit curious. I figured someone here might have some insight.

citizen059 on

• Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    There's a large gap between "we don't like you" and "we're going to start a war over it"

It's a weapon that says you can't actively fuck with China and it's allies nearby, but it's not really a large enough edge to make warfare or even trying it out on a carrier a good idea. I don't consider it a threat, it's the evolution of warfare. If it's visible, it can eventually be attacked. It was only a matter of time before someone else starting using sats to guide weapons.

edit: it's a chance for the Chinese to look strong, and the US military to create fear of a not-really-threat to get more money to develop new toys. China really can't do anything to us militarily compared to what it can do to us economically, but the navy can go OHGODWENEEDTRILLIONSTOMAKESUBMARINEAIRCRAFTCARRIERSNOW

kildy on
  • Options
    WienkeWienke Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Basically China wants Taiwan. US doesnt want China to have Taiwan mostly because of economic reasons. However as time goes on and the US becomes more dependent on China and less so on Taiwan, China might have more leverage in their desire for unification. I'd imagine that in the next 100 years there'll be a peaceful reunification.

With the current state of the economy and manufacturing and with the symbiotic relationship between China and the US I can guarantee that conflict with Russia is more likely than with China despite what some may say.

China doesn't need to go to war with the US to really hurt us anyway. They just need to sell off their massive dollar holdings and cut off all of our imports from them. That would hurt us more than any carrier being sank.

So when China develops this sort of thing or builds an aircraft carrier its more for their own propaganda purposes and to use against us if they really had to. Despite anything they may say, most intelligent people from both nations realize war would be economic suicide with really nothing to gain on either side.

Wienke on
    PSN: TheWienke
  • Options
    ShadowrunnerShadowrunner Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    China would never attack the US because they hold too much of our debt.

Shadowrunner on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Preparing for the worst and all that.

But don't worry America, we still have more nukes!

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Another thing bad for the economy would be nuclear winter

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    PantsB wrote: »

Another thing bad for the economy would be nuclear winter

But nuclear summer is awesome.

The tomatoes will be HUGE!

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If China wants to really hurt America, all they need to do is stop exporting toilet paper.

There would be riots in the streets!

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Eventually Americans would learn to finally use bidets which is something I fully support.

Kagera on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2009
    So basically Taiwan is fucked.

So sorry, Taiwan.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »

So sorry, Taiwan.

Also Tibet.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Taiwan was always fucked. The US will not get into a global massacre of a war just to protect the shoddy sovereignty of a tiny island so close to the invading country.

Kagera on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I wonder what kind of a platform this needs; can it be placed on one of their ships or does it need a ground launch?

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    IceyIcey Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm going to start investing heavily in the Rad Away corporation.

Icey on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

So sorry, Taiwan.

As the resident Taiwanese poster on this board, my opinion basically boils down to:

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kagera wrote: »
    Taiwan was always fucked. The US will not get into a global massacre of a war just to protect the shoddy sovereignty of a tiny island so close to the invading country.

I also think that China will not risk war or huge economic sanctions over Taiwan, resulting in the quo of status

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »

So sorry, Taiwan.

Also Tibet.

Yeah, but we never cared about them anyway. After all, they don't manufacture shiny gear for my PC.

enc0re on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »

I also think that China will not risk war or huge economic sanctions over Taiwan, resulting in the quo of status

Also, while the US might not fight to defend Taiwan in say, 50 years, if Taiwan doesn't want reunification an invasion of Taiwan would leave China crippled for a decade even if Taiwan fought alone. I still think the whole situation in China is a powder keg though. The reason they can't accept Taiwanese or TIbetan independance is because there are a whole host of regions which want to be independant, but are suppressed by the whole sticking it to Taiwan and TIbet thing the government does.

If growth slows much more, then these conflicts will come to the fore.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Last week's cover of the Economist.
    20090321issuecovUS400.jpg

enc0re on
  • Options
    MalaysianShrewMalaysianShrew Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So how is this any different from the French Exocet missile which fucked up the British Navy in the 80's when they fought against the Argentinian Air Force?

MalaysianShrew on
    Never trust a big butt and a smile.
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So how is this any different from the French Exocet missile which fucked up the British Navy in the 80's when they fought against the Argentinian Air Force?
    This is a ballistic missile, not an air-launched anti-shipping missile.

In any case, I'm not sure that Taiwan is "fucked" any more than it was previously. I believe the relevance of carriers in a "real" war has been on the decline for a long time. Even if China only sought to capture Taiwan, we've still got a lot of submarines and lesser naval vessels, as well as plenty of nearby air bases. If the Chinese were very determined, they could probably take the island, but I really doubt that it'd be worth the losses we could inflict even without the use of our carriers. Besides, Taiwan has a sizeable military of their own.

Besides, any warlike move from China risks the use of either nuclear or economic WMDs (in the sense that we could declare the US debt that China holds null and void). Both parties would lose massively in that sort of exchange.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The real lesson we should be taking from this is sinking hundreds of billions into massive and tactically unsound naval ships is foolish and a recipe for disaster, but we've known that since the Millenrium Challenge in 2002 and that hasn't slowed us down yet.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    werehippy wrote: »
    The real lesson we should be taking from this is sinking hundreds of billions into massive and tactically unsound naval ships is foolish and a recipe for disaster, but we've known that since the Millenrium Challenge in 2002 and that hasn't slowed us down yet.

Problem is, how else are the U.S. going to project power?

enc0re on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Icey wrote: »
    I'm going to start investing heavily in the Rad Away corporation.

I'll meet you at Lost Hills

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009

An entire 3%

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

In any case, I'm not sure that Taiwan is "fucked" any more than it was previously. I believe the relevance of carriers in a "real" war has been on the decline for a long time. Even if China only sought to capture Taiwan, we've still got a lot of submarines and lesser naval vessels, as well as plenty of nearby air bases. If the Chinese were very determined, they could probably take the island, but I really doubt that it'd be worth the losses we could inflict even without the use of our carriers. Besides, Taiwan has a sizeable military of their own.

Besides, any warlike move from China risks the use of either nuclear or economic WMDs (in the sense that we could declare the US debt that China holds null and void). Both parties would lose massively in that sort of exchange.

Honestly, I very much doubt that Taiwan is worth saving compared to the damage that would be done standing up to China. We can rattle our sabers as much as we want, but when push came to shove, I think we'd send Taiwan a lovely gift basket...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

The advent of naval air power made battleships obsolete in WWII; that this occurred does not mean that those same battleships were 'tactically unsound' up until that point. Technology evolves, and the aircraft carriers of the US Navy were a major component of keeping the cold war from becoming hot.

This just means we'll have to adapt to a new threat. Our carriers are already armed with essentially automated gatling guns to deal with missile threats; perhaps upgrading those systems will prove effective against these. Or we'll just have to think of something else.

Also IIRC 2000km is quite a bit less then the range at which a carrier battle group can project its air power.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

Honestly, I very much doubt that Taiwan is worth saving compared to the damage that would be done standing up to China. We can rattle our sabers as much as we want, but when push came to shove, I think we'd send Taiwan a lovely gift basket...
    You have to realize, though, that China is thinking the same thing. The damage they'd receive would dwarf the benefits of taking Taiwan. It's a game of chicken. There's sort of a weird paradox in that as long as we remain publicly committed to defending Taiwan, we'll never need to. And I think right now we would follow through with that threat if Taiwan were to be attacked—which is why it won't be.

The whole situation is strange.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    enc0re wrote: »

http://supcom.wikia.com/wiki/UEF_Experimental_Aircraft_Carrier?
    http://supcom.wikia.com/wiki/Aeon_Experimental_Aircraft_Carrier?

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    WienkeWienke Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just out of curiosity, what is life like in Hong Kong since the British handed it over to China? I can't imagine Taiwan, even though it represents the sworn ideological enemy of the communists, would be changed a whole hell of a lot since the communist Chinese in the past few years have been fairly level headed when it comes to economics.

Wienke on
    PSN: TheWienke
  • Options
    giltanisgiltanis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wienke wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, what is life like in Hong Kong since the British handed it over to China? I can't imagine Taiwan, even though it represents the sworn ideological enemy of the communists, would be changed a whole hell of a lot since the communist Chinese in the past few years have been fairly level headed when it comes to economics.

I think the difference though is that Taiwan is effectivly a rebelious state in China's eyes where as Hong Kong was lost to the British via war and was just being returned to them. There is a lot more room for vengeance and childlike behavior in the later that in the prior.

I do think it depends on how they got it back though. If its peaceful there will probably be a lot more international oversight to keep things from spinning out of control that wouldn't be there if it was won by force.

giltanis on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FilFil Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Amphibious ships are extremely versatile in that they can project both hard power (i.e. forcible entry) and soft power (i.e. humanitarian missions).

But otherwise you're going to need x amount of aircraft carriers if you want to maintain the same global presence because nothing else is going to replicate their capabilities. The question is whether x = 12? I don't know (or remember) if that is the minimum amount needed to keep the shipyards in business or a random number someone pulled out of their ass.

Fil on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    This just means we'll have to adapt to a new threat. Our carriers are already armed with essentially automated gatling guns to deal with missile threats; perhaps upgrading those systems will prove effective against these. Or we'll just have to think of something else.

Also IIRC 2000km is quite a bit less then the range at which a carrier battle group can project its air power.

If the reports are true, these are ballistic missiles. Like what the SDI ("Star Wars") was supposed to intercept and what Bush wanted to put interceptors against into Eastern Europe. We haven't been doing too well knocking those out of the sky.

An F-18 has a combat radius of 550KM. Even a fancy pants F-35 can't do more than 1000KM.

enc0re on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

If the reports are true, these are ballistic missiles. Like what the SDI ("Star Wars") was supposed to intercept and what Bush wanted to put interceptors against into Eastern Europe. We haven't been doing too well knocking those out of the sky.

An F-18 has a combat radius of 550KM. Even a fancy pants F-35 can't do more than 1000KM.

In the event of a major conflict these missiles would be intercepted by swiftly installed an upgraded anti-mortar lasers mounted in the place of gatling cannons. Same for the planes and what not. In the first few days of the war almost all the already deployed tech will get blown up since its all designed as glass cannons, in that it is devastating providing noone can do anything to it. Pretty much all the military technology we have now will prove to be totally useless if we fought an actual war

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    FilFil Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    tbloxham wrote: »
    In the event of a major conflict these missiles would be intercepted by swiftly installed an upgraded anti-mortar lasers mounted in the place of gatling cannons.

I'd say the only thing you've got that has any chance of interception is the SM-3.

You'll have 18 ships in fleet with Aegis BMD by the end of 2009 if you trust the Navy to keep on schedule.

Then, halve whatever number is deployed in theater because for an intercept you need one ship to track and one to fire.

I'd say the odds of that missile getting through is looking pretty good. Especially if they fire more than one at a time.

Now, whether it's good enough to hit anything is another question.

Fil on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The biggest reason I can think of that is newsworthy is that it chips away at America's naval dominance which has been, for the most part, pretty much unopposed. This is the first super power to develop something they can point at with certainty and say "Yeah, if America screws with our operations we won't take that shit and we're backing it up with this."

Quid on
  • Options
    UnarmedOracleUnarmedOracle Evolution's Finest Hour Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    tbloxham wrote: »

In the event of a major conflict these missiles would be intercepted by swiftly installed an upgraded anti-mortar lasers mounted in the place of gatling cannons. Same for the planes and what not. In the first few days of the war almost all the already deployed tech will get blown up since its all designed as glass cannons, in that it is devastating providing noone can do anything to it. Pretty much all the military technology we have now will prove to be totally useless if we fought an actual war

Isn't a mortar an extremely low-speed weapon compared to a ballistic missile? like by several orders of magnitude? These things are supposed to move at mach 10 ... how long does a laser need to hit a target to destroy it, and what is it's range?

UnarmedOracle on
    signature.jpg
  • Options
    MadnessBAMadnessBA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well, I'm joining the Navy and I have the choice between carriers and submarines... It looks like the submarine might actually be safer now : ).

MadnessBA on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MadnessBA wrote: »
    Well, I'm joining the Navy and I have the choice between carriers and submarines... It looks like the submarine might actually be safer now : ).
    Submarines will keep running after every other class of ship has been dry-docked and replaced. And if they're equipped with nukes they're nearly as good a power-projector as an aircraft carrier.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Harrier wrote: »
    And if they're equipped with nukes they're nearly as good a power-projector as an aircraft carrier.

Yeah not so much. Nukes can't exactly provide ground support to infantry. Carrier-based planes can.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Harrier wrote: »
    And if they're equipped with nukes they're nearly as good a power-projector as an aircraft carrier.

Yeah not so much. Nukes can't exactly provide ground support to infantry. Carrier-based planes can.
    Well are we talking troop support or power projection? They're not the same thing. The ability to park ICBMs off the coast of any country you choose strikes me as meeting the requirements of 'power projection.'

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.