As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your Favorite Animals

1151617181921»

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I thought that happened only in times of stress, like being in captivity watched by pervert scientists?

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I thought that happened only in times of stress, like being in captivity watched by pervert scientists?
    That is somehow weirder

Elendil on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    mantishummingbird.jpg
    Don't mess with praying mantises.

"It's ok guys, he's just giving the bird a high five."

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    After watching Planet Earth, Emperor Penguins are now my favourite animal. They're awesome.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Barreleye fish take the cake for most interesting animal I've come across in a while.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM9o4VnfHJU&fmt=18

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Two words: Opposable thumbs.

A lion will fuck you up, but unless you get caught in it's jaws or it's standing on you (both are real possibilites of course), you can run like hell and try to hide. When running away it's either got to jump on you or catch you in it's teeth.

A gorilla can grab your arm and pull it out of it's socket, WHILE biting you.

Listen to me, and listen good.

If you get attacked by a lion or a gorilla, you are fucked. You're not going to outrun a lion or a gorilla, and both are going to kill you very fast.

Gorillas are freakishly strong and are definitely capable of tearing off your limbs. If that doesn't kill you, you'll sure as hell wish it did.

And I don't know if you've ever seen a lion up close, and I mean really up close, but they're fucking huge. It could playfully swat at you and knock you on your ass.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

A lion will fuck you up, but unless you get caught in it's jaws or it's standing on you (both are real possibilites of course), you can run like hell and try to hide. When running away it's either got to jump on you or catch you in it's teeth.

If you get attacked by a lion or a gorilla, you are fucked. You're not going to outrun a lion or a gorilla, and both are going to kill you very fast.

Gorillas are freakishly strong and are definitely capable of tearing off your limbs. If that doesn't kill you, you'll sure as hell wish it did.

And I don't know if you've ever seen a lion up close, and I mean really up close, but they're fucking huge. It could playfully swat at you and knock you on your ass.
    I do have some insight as to the question of "could I beat up a gorrilla or a chimp more easily?"

In the wild, gorillas rarely kill each other in fights. They fight mostly to show dominance. The loser backs off and submits, and the winner doesn't completely fuck him up. In this they are like a lot of herbivores.

Chimps, on the other hand, often do kill each other. Which may explain their particularly nasty fighting-style.

So there is actually a good chance that you can beat up a gorilla easier than a chimp. A gorilla wouldn't fight to the death, a chimp would.

Qingu on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm pretty sure a fight for dominance from a gorilla would kill a human being.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    I basically read that as if a Gorilla challenges you in a fight for dominance, to let it win and it will back off.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Let the Wookiee win

GungHo on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm pretty sure a fight for dominance from a gorilla would kill a human being.

Yeah, all it would take was one accidental swipe across the head and hello brain damage.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You realize a gorilla isn't going to fight you for dominance, right? And that if it feels threatened, it will fight for it's life, right?

It ain't gonna back off if it's a life or death situation.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Actually, gorillas do exhibit dominance behaviors with humans, especially among males.

GungHo on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You realize a gorilla isn't going to fight you for dominance, right? And that if it feels threatened, it will fight for it's life, right?

It's actually pretty rare for wild animals to kill each other (unless they're trying to eat each other).

Chimps are sort of the exception there. And humans. Wonderful, civilized humans.

Qingu on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I won't say it's common, but bonobo's are violent fucking animals interspecies and having one kill another isn't exactly a shock.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Chimps are fucking crazy. If you haven't yet, watch Planet Earth (preferrably on blu-ray). They cover chimps in the segment on jungles, and there's this one shot of this chimp holding a torn up chimp-scalp in his hand after some kind of chimp-style turf war, just this floppy sheet of skin with fur and an ear attached, and he eats a bit and passes it on to the next chimp.

Fuck chimps.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Qingu wrote: »

It's actually pretty rare for wild animals to kill each other (unless they're trying to eat each other).

Chimps are sort of the exception there. And humans. Wonderful, civilized humans.

Wha? Plenty of animals regularly kill babies of their own kind just so they can get to the mother. Ants wage war. Hyenas and lions will purposefully seek out the young and vulnerable of the others' species just to assert dominance and weaken their enemies' territorial control.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dolphins and Porpoises. They're so fucking cool.

The stuff about them on Planet Earth is fascinating... creating a whirlpool in the water to funnel their food into a column of yummy, trapped fish. Belly sliding up onto the beach in order to catch fish in shallow water....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ2BvD8hMs8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6yzpe8r4xg&feature=fvsr

Playing with bubble rings.. ecco the dolphin style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMCf7SNUb-Q

Surfing for fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWauuX_1KH8

And communicating with cats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsB7MV0OaHE

FIGHTING FUCKING SHARKS!

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    In Starscream We TrustIn Starscream We Trust Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Also, the Lion is going to rake you. That is, plant its front legs on you, and pull up it's hind legs with it's razor sharp claws and probably disembowel you. Try running away while holding your intestines.

In Starscream We Trust on
    tf2_sig.png
    9dominations-1.jpg