As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games for Very Young Kids

ToyDToyD Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Games and Technology
Hey PA!

I'm out looking for a DS or GBA game or two for my soon to be 4 year old's birthday. He's recently had fun with a few. Including Viva Pinata (the original), but he needed a lot of help with this, too much reading and the "fun" mode of VP 2 got all too fast. And lately he's had a LOT of fun on his own with Bounce On for the iphone and the disney websites to give you examples.

Has anyone found a game or set of games that very young kids like and that they can pick up with nearly no reading involved? I'm not talking educational although it's not out of the question, but ABCs is pretty simplistic here.

Side note, if you haven't tried Bounce On, and you have an iphone, it really is a pretty good game.

steam_sig.png
ToyD on

• Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Cooking mama?

Maybe.

I'm never any good with these things.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    New Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart DS, Super Mario 64 DS and maybe even WarioWare touched are all pretty simplistic games that I have seen young children playing often.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My kids really like this DS game, "Smartkids Game Club". I got it cheap off Amazon a long time ago, but I think it might be hard to find now.
    http://ds.ign.com/objects/952/952375.html
    Its an assortment of mini preschool activities like coloring, whack a mole, puzzles, play piane and trains etc.

I realize its not a DS or GBA game, but if you have a ps3 then definitely get Noby Noby Boy. My son is 3 years old and could play this for hours by himself if I let him. The only time he calls me over for help is when he wants to go to a new map or he eats the special icon in the help menu that brings up the EULA for video upload. My 5 year old twin girls really like it too, but not as much as my son.

Another good game for young kids is Little Big Planet. But they can't play this on their own and you will need to find easy maps for them to play on. However the controls are easy. (Move, Jump and grab basically) And you can have up to 4 players locally. (All my kids absolutely loooove this game but I can't play with them all for too long because it does become tiresome helping them. )

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.