As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The King of Iron Fist Tournament 6 Out 10/27 (Fighting Games, Humble licks penii)

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited April 2009
    HEY WAIT A MINUTE THIS DEAL SUCKS

Knob on
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well if you fight me like you did last night you'll have to pull your socks up a bit. My 8 wins stack up pretty good against your 5 wins... :o

Also being home sick is gay
    wtf home sick?!

Also yesterday doesn't count because clearly I was playing with someone else's thumbs.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    Octopus MelodyOctopus Melody Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm in the market for someone else's thumbs. I don't know why it is but I'm having the toughest time getting Viper's shoryuken motion move out. I was never bad at doing shoryukens before.

Octopus Melody on
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    i don't have any problems

because i don't suck

Sneak if you don't quit bragging I'll punch knob in the balls.

I wasn't bragging, I was joking. Knob would kick me straight in the dick in 3rd Strike.

I used to be so good with Yun. :(

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    ZombotZombot Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Finally got my stick in the mail.
    After two months of waiting, it's finally here!
    The joystick feels better than the first, but I'm still going to replace it with Sanwa parts as soon as they restock them.

Zombot on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    wait is it a regular edition?

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    fix it before you bust it

Knob on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    My FightStick busted in like three days.

I'm going to throw some Sanwa parts in there as soon as I can.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think the only people they sent any fightpads to were eBay stores. Fucking Madcatz.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    <3<3 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Where can I get a good cheap arcade stick?

edit: jesus they are like all over $100

<3 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    'good' and 'cheap' do not go hand-in-hand with fight sticks.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    I think the only people they sent any fightpads to were eBay stores. Fucking Madcatz.

I have a Fightstick

And a Fightpad.

The Fightstick is gathering dust because HEY, it's a piece of crap that I have to by Sanwa parts for but am so lazy.

Oh and they're both for PS3 the system where Sneak won't trade in like one game to play me in so I can beat him with Viper.

SO GAY.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    you don't have to buy sanwa parts

at all

the fightstick has a defect that destroys itself. if you fix the defect before irrevocably fucking up your stick then its perfectly acceptable

at least assuming one of the buttons doesn't fail, but that seems rarer

Knob on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Buttons are fine, but self destroying defect is what in the blue hell.

I will research this.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    part 2: what is the goddamned fascination with sanwa parts

is it because the japanese use them or because fighting game nuts namedrop them all the time

happ parts are just as good and aren't fucking alien and weird

seriously if you're used to american arcade games, look into happ parts. playing on sanwa parts will frustrate the christ out of you until you eventually get used to them.

Knob on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    what's the big difference?

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Knob wrote: »
    part 2: what is the goddamned fascination with sanwa parts

is it because the japanese use them or because fighting game nuts namedrop them all the time

happ parts are just as good and aren't fucking alien and weird

seriously if you're used to american arcade games, look into happ parts. playing on sanwa parts will frustrate the christ out of you until you eventually get used to them.

Happ parts tend to break down more easily than Sanwa parts, for starters. And I prefer the ball joystick over the bat.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    humblehumble Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    my boss put sanwa parts into our arcade machines, they work a ton better and were only 18 bucks a piece

humble on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    if you've played a game in an american arcade, you're basically familiar with happ parts

sanwa parts certainly work well, but japanese sticks generall have much shorter shafts and much looser springs than american ones. their buttons are convex instead of concave

both companies build quality parts but before you jump at sanwa parts because it's the hot name on the internet, make sure you understand the differences

the tekken 5 machine here had sanwa sticks in it. at first i thought the springs were broken. i couldn't play it for shit with that wobbly ass stick. i'm sure given time i would have gotten used to it, but personally i'd rather have the same stick and button feel that i've been playing for 20+ years

Knob on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    oh okay

i just prefer japanese style sticks so

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    that's cool, i'm not advocating one over the over, play on what you like

it's just that the only time sticks are mentioned it's usually in conjunction with a shitload of sanwa replacements, and i imagine that there's at least one dude out there frustrated with his new custom sanwa stick because he didn't know there was a difference

Knob on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    i do prefer the bat

humble on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    if you've played a game in an american arcade, you're basically familiar with happ parts

sanwa parts certainly work well, but japanese sticks generall have much shorter shafts and much looser springs than american ones. their buttons are convex instead of concave

both companies build quality parts but before you jump at sanwa parts because it's the hot name on the internet, make sure you understand the differences

the tekken 5 machine here had sanwa sticks in it. at first i thought the springs were broken. i couldn't play it for shit with that wobbly ass stick. i'm sure given time i would have gotten used to it, but personally i'd rather have the same stick and button feel that i've been playing for 20+ years

For 2D fighters, I think having the much looser Sanwa sticks are better, but... I can kind of see how they would be a gigantic pain in the ass for Tekken, or any other precise 3D fighter. I should test out Virtua Fighter 5 on this stick.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    hpjchobbeshpjchobbes Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So I've never really gotten into fighting games too much, mostly because I never had the money to drop at an arcade. I had read that IV contained a challenge mode that helps train people who are new the game, but it appears that it just has you do the commands and the combos, but doesn't seem to give you any indepth information on how to play.

I have been able to beat the single player version on easy (though there are times when I get 'stuck' on an opponent for a while), but I can't seem to get past the second round on medium (especially if it's C.Viper).

Are there any good training places for beginner's? It seems that most of what I've found is geared towards people who know what they are doing.

hpjchobbes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZombotZombot Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    hpjchobbes wrote: »
    So I've never really gotten into fighting games too much, mostly because I never had the money to drop at an arcade. I had read that IV contained a challenge mode that helps train people who are new the game, but it appears that it just has you do the commands and the combos, but doesn't seem to give you any indepth information on how to play.

I have been able to beat the single player version on easy (though there are times when I get 'stuck' on an opponent for a while), but I can't seem to get past the second round on medium (especially if it's C.Viper).

Are there any good training places for beginner's? It seems that most of what I've found is geared towards people who know what they are doing.

Honestly, the only way to get better at Street Fighter is to play it.
    You'll eventually pick it up.
    You can always check out Shoryuken.com and read the forums on tips, but there's a bunch of jargon you'll have to pick up first.

Zombot on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    been beating some butts online with cammy

no one seems to expect cammy in ranked

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Her chief weapons are fear and surprise and ruthless efficiency and a fanatical devoti...

God if you run across SonicBooga be prepared for a Seth gayfest.

At the risk of sounding like a scrub and calling a kettle black ... fuck you Seth and all your shit.

I played him 1 match and got owned, like I think I managed a few light taps and maybe 1 tiger shot. So I played a few more ranked and then saw him again. Fine, I want a second shot.

Played him again and it was a helluva lot closer, took it 3 rounds and I really should have taken him down but I lost the rhythm and he found his. Who decided fast procjectiles, huge jumps and Dhalsim's reach was a good idea for a character?

RabidDeathMoose on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    fucking seths air combos jesus christ

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Bale wherever you are lets fight sometime soon

humble on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    japanese sticks generall have much shorter shafts

dude

racist

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Her chief weapons are fear and surprise and ruthless efficiency and a fanatical devoti...

God if you run across SonicBooga be prepared for a Seth gayfest.

At the risk of sounding like a scrub and calling a kettle black ... fuck you Seth and all your shit.

I played him 1 match and got owned, like I think I managed a few light taps and maybe 1 tiger shot. So I played a few more ranked and then saw him again. Fine, I want a second shot.

Played him again and it was a helluva lot closer, took it 3 rounds and I really should have taken him down but I lost the rhythm and he found his. Who decided fast procjectiles, huge jumps and Dhalsim's reach was a good idea for a character?
    But Seth hits like a 9 year old girl and takes damage like a 4 year old girl.

Those two light taps probably took 40% of his health away from him!

babyeatingjesus on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Zombot wrote: »
    hpjchobbes wrote: »

Honestly, the only way to get better at Street Fighter is to play it.
    You'll eventually pick it up.
    You can always check out Shoryuken.com and read the forums on tips, but there's a bunch of jargon you'll have to pick up first.

You have to play it with an open mindset, too. There are lots of people who have been playing SF terribly for 20 years.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    finish up your tourny already damnit i've been waiting anxiously to see who wins.

Grath on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sneak.

Or Knob.

I came in third.

babyeatingjesus on
  • Options
    Octopus MelodyOctopus Melody Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    20 bucks on Sneak with op Sakura.

Octopus Melody on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    20 bucks on Sneak with op Sakura.

Straight?

I'll take it at 3/1

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Found an Arcade Fightstick in a shop. I was determined not to buy one originally, but somehow I couldn't resist when confronted with one face to face.

What is this defect people are talking about? Is it with this stick, or just the TE?

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    just the standard edition

the te sticks are fine

the standard fightsticks have a washer under the joystick that doesn't fit in it's depression, so it rubs against the pcb and over a short time will eat right through it

Knob on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So, remove the washer eh? Great, a £70 fixer upper.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sneak.

Or Knob.

I came in third.

The fuck you did, I still haven't played my matches.

RabidDeathMoose on
This discussion has been closed.