As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ATI's shitty drivers are causing my video card to overheat

LorkLork Registered User regular
One of the features of ATI Overdrive is automatic fan speed control, so it doesn't get too noisy when it doesn't need to, and normally this is a pretty good thing. Lately, though, it's been letting my video card run way too hot. When I'm just using Windows it doesn't even turn the fan on at all, and ends up running at 80C. When I run a game, the fan turns on, but barely.

A few days ago my computer shut down due to overheating while it was idle, and today a Left 4 Dead session was interrupted due to artifacting. I can manually set the speed of the fan and it works fine, but it gets pretty noisy at the levels required for newer games, and manually changing the levels every time I start the game sounds like huge pain in the ass.

Is there anything I can do?

Steam Profile: Lork
Lork on

• matricsmatrics Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You could try turning the overdrive's speed control off and using ATI Tray Tools to regulate it... it's been about 6 months since I had an ATI GPU so my advice may not be valid

matrics on
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    ATI Tray Tools tells me that no supported hardware is found when I look at the fan controls.

Lork on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I use Rivatuner and set my fan speed manually. In my case, since it's so silent I just have it running at 85% all the time.

Satsumomo on
  • Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I put one of these in the next slot over from my video card. Not that I had overheating problems but I cooler is always better... http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7256

Rigor Mortis on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Have you tried directing a blast of compressed air into the fan? The dust build up in those things can be deadly.

Dissociater on
    edited April 2009
    Have you tried directing a blast of compressed air into the fan? The dust build up in those things can be deadly.
    There's nothing wrong with the fan. I can turn it up to a high speed and it'll cool the card like it's supposed to, but it's also noisy as fuck. I don't mind when I'm playing games because I usually have my headphones on and can't hear it anyway, but it's obnoxious at all other times.

Lork on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I was thinking more underneath the fan. I dust can get lodged in there and block what the fan's supposed to be blowing air onto. I only mention it because it really shouldn't be over heating when your computer's idle, that's pretty rough.

Dissociater on
    edited April 2009
    I was thinking more underneath the fan. I dust can get lodged in there and block what the fan's supposed to be blowing air onto. I only mention it because it really shouldn't be over heating when your computer's idle, that's pretty rough.
    It's not blowing air into anywhere because it turns the fan off. I have no problems with cooling if I manually force the fan to turn on and speed up to the levels that it's supposed to be at. The problem is that the calibration for the auto adjustment has somehow gone out of whack and isn't setting the fan speed to what it's supposed to.

Lork on
  • prawnstar69prawnstar69 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I had a problem with my 3850, the atikmdag driver would stop and restart (I'm assuming due to heat, apparently it's a massive issue), I used RivaTuner to underclock the core by 10MHz and now it's fine =/

Maybe that's something you could try, I know it's not ideal but it worked for me.

prawnstar69 on
    Bana84.png
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Lork wrote: »
    ATI Tray Tools tells me that no supported hardware is found when I look at the fan controls.

You need to use the latest beta, downloadable from here, which is linked from the official forum here. (it works perfectly fine on my 4870)

I think it also needs to be said that Catalyst Control Centre is a steaming pile and ATI Tray Tools is the best ATI management tool around. ATI should hire the guy who makes this software, he's a seriously talented guy.

att_fan.png

How much better is that than ATI's for fan control...

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
    edited April 2009
    GrimReaper wrote: »

You need to use the latest beta, downloadable from here, which is linked from the official forum here. (it works perfectly fine on my 4870)

I think it also needs to be said that Catalyst Control Centre is a steaming pile and ATI Tray Tools is the best ATI management tool around. ATI should hire the guy who makes this software, he's a seriously talented guy.

How much better is that than ATI's for fan control...
    That's exactly what I needed, thanks!

Lork on
    edited April 2009
    Ok, new problem: ATI Tray Tools causes most Java applications to crash. At least, anything that uses Swing will crash with a stack overflow error. I know this because I just spent an hour trying to figure out why my very simple Java roguelike wasn't starting. And then on a whim I shut down ATITT and poof, the crashes went away.

No, seriously. What the fuck?

Lork on
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ok, new problem: ATI Tray Tools causes most Java applications to crash. At least, anything that uses Swing will crash with a stack overflow error. I know this because I just spent an hour trying to figure out why my very simple Java roguelike wasn't starting. And then on a whim I shut down ATITT and poof, the crashes went away.

No, seriously. What the fuck?

Hmm, I uninstalled Java ages ago. My only thoughts are a few things:

Disable on screen display "Tools & Options", "OnScreen Display..." and the OSD tab. Deselect "Enable OnScreen Display".

You could also ask Ray Adams in the official ATT forum for some help.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.