As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tagging photos on my PC?

PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
Does anybody know of a good software that allows me to tag and search digital photos on my hard drive?

Is tagging built into any picture formats (like jpeg)? I'd rather not have to convert all of my photos. I found this software:

http://www.itagsoftware.com/

Which seems to be what I'm looking for, I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations.

Thanks!

Pemulis on

• Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Vista (and I believe Windows 7) just lets you tag+search photos through the Windows Explorer UI.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ah, you are right. Seems like you have to right click on each file though.

I think I'll try out that software and see if I like it.

Pemulis on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Report back to us, I'm curious about it.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    All right, I tried iTag and it's pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

There are two modes, edit and search.

Edit mode:

You can load photos (or whole directories) into the main window. The photos are shown as thumbnails, the size of which can be changed; I found the most useful mode is to set the thumbnail size to a minimum, which then shows the current tags for each photo. As you add tags the names are added to a bucket for quick access for often used tags.

A useful tip: middle click and hold expands the thumbnail to full screen.

Search mode:

Here you can search by tags, which are conviently sorted in a window where the most often used tags have the largest font (there's probably a name for this type of sorting). Advanced search allows for matching search terms and sorting by date.

Even better, the tags are set in the same property that randomengy pointed out that Windows has, so you can move them to another PC and use windows search with them.

Overall: Easy to use, clean and simple way to tag and search digital pics.

Pemulis on