As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Swollen finger...

DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
...So starting yesterday my right index finger had become swollen. Specificially to the right of the nail halfway between the knuckle and the tip of the finger and pertrudes out about 3-4mm. It is senstive and a little painful to touch the skin there.

So H/A, time to put on your doctor robes and hat. Any idea what this is and how to alleviate it?

"I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
DragonPup on

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sounds like an ingrown nail. I get those from time to time. I tend to take some clippers and pry the nail out of the skin a bit, but I don't necessarily know if it helps or if it's just a placebo.

Artereis on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is it discoloured at all? I may have had this before.

Casual on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I think it may be a small infection since I tend to bite my nails. Someone just told me to soak the finger in hot water and salt...

DragonPup on

• Options
    edited April 2009
    If its what I had then yes its an infection. With me it filled with pus and turned green so I went to the doctor and they lanced it. Took two minutes, no fuss and the problem was solved.

Casual on
  • Options
    Cptn PantsCptn Pants Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If it swells and starts to crack then turns deep red/black go to the hospital... mind crushing pain is a good indicator of the necessity for medical attention. Just saying, that's what happened when my aunt got the flesh eating bacteria in her finger. She still has the finger btw, antibiotics = awesome. Good luck!

Cptn Pants on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It's a slight shade redder than the rest of the hand, but no cracking has occured. The hot salty water seems to help alleviate the sensitivity a little bit.

DragonPup on

• Options
    edited April 2009
    The hot salty water should actually help. But if it gets worse or starts to change colour just go to a doctor, some antibiotics will clear it right up.

Casual on
  • Options
    ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'll also say it's probably an infection. On rare occasions I'll get little sliver of nail or skin or whatever right along side my nail...I always pull them off, but it leaves a little cut and they get infected very easily. Just keep using the salt water if it works and wash your hands frequently.

Thylacine on
  • Options
    T3hSpazT3hSpaz Registered User new member
    edited April 2009
    This sounds like what I used to get all the time when I was younger. I bite my nails a lot when I'm nervous and that occasionally leads to a slight infection/irritation.

I typically just take a needle, dip it in some alcohol and then slide it into the little crevice along the side of my fingernail, up into the cuticle. You don't have to go far and it will typically be pretty painless... pus will just come out. You may have to do some squeezing, and it may hurt a little bit, but you should have no problem lancing it yourself.

Of course, if it continues or gets worse, you should seek professional medical advice.

T3hSpaz on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    T3hSpaz wrote: »
    This sounds like what I used to get all the time when I was younger. I bite my nails a lot when I'm nervous and that occasionally leads to a slight infection/irritation.

I typically just take a needle, dip it in some alcohol and then slide it into the little crevice along the side of my fingernail, up into the cuticle. You don't have to go far and it will typically be pretty painless... pus will just come out. You may have to do some squeezing, and it may hurt a little bit, but you should have no problem lancing it yourself.

Of course, if it continues or gets worse, you should seek professional medical advice.

This, then slap some Betadine on it and wrap it up for a couple of days. If it's no better then see someone about it

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's most likely an infection, but I wouldn't rule out an insect bite if the problem requires further attention. I once had an entire finger swell to monstrous proportions. To the point I lost all feeling. It was actually pretty cool.

Platy on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Should mention, if it is an ingrown nail take a pair of clippers and make a cut into the nail about half way across from the bad side, then try to cut/peel it over to the bad part and use tweezers to pull towards your body to pull the spiked part of the nail out. Chances are it'll grow back eventually, but if it doesn't then you get away without surgery.

Oh, and under NO CIRCUMSTANCE let a doctor remove the nail or do any type of cutting to the nail as a permanent fix, 90% of the time they grow back, and if they do work leave you permanently 'disfigured' as in without a nail/missing most of your nail and are just as painful as the 100% guaranteed fix surgery. The only guaranteed fix is the Vandenbos procedure. This site is for toes but I'm sure it could be applied to a finger (and would probably require less time off work)

Wezoin on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Casual wrote: »
    If its what I had then yes its an infection. With me it filled with pus and turned green so I went to the doctor and they lanced it. Took two minutes, no fuss and the problem was solved.

This happened to me in primary school, we just lanced it at home and then did the hot salty water thing while the pus was draining.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I got lanced tonight. Finger still numb...

DragonPup on