As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Earthquake in Italy

DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
At least 90 people are believed dead and tens of thousands homeless after an earthquake hit L'Aquila and other towns in central Italy, rescuers say.

About 1,500 people were injured and many people are still missing as rescuers search desperately for survivors trapped beneath rubble.

The 6.3-magnitude quake struck at 0330 (0130 GMT) close to L'Aquila.

Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, who is in the city, has promised a "record number of rescuers".

"Nobody has been left on their own," he said, adding that a field hospital was being set up to help local medical services. Earlier, he declared a state of emergency.

Altogether, 26 cities and towns have been damaged, officials say. In L'Aquila, 95km (60 miles) north-east of Rome, between 3,000 and 10,000 buildings in the medieval city may have been damaged.

Between 30,000 and 40,000 people are believed to have lost their homes and the authorities are working to find them shelter before nightfall.

More here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7984867.stm

Doesn't happen often in Europe. Though Italy has always been quite volatile, with the volcanoes and all.

DarkCrawler on

• Options
    AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Good thing I bought that Volcano insurance.

And paid 140mil$ for monitoring. Oh Bobby Jindal. You scamp you..

Astraphobia on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    All I get are hurricanes here in Florida.

It's fun at work. Everyone comes to rent movies until theres nothing on the shelves physically, then they prep their laptops if they lose power :D

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I did feel the last New Madrid quake here in St. Louis. 4.5 doesn't really make much happen. I did go into work the earliest time ever though, 5:30am.

Freaked out my cat though. Jumped up on my mom's bed, arched her back and froze for the duration.

Astraphobia on