As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What we need more of [Science dummy]

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i have a question though what are you going to do with all these animals as they frolick in the wild...onto FM 193094 and you hit it going about 70 and you total your vehicle killing yourself in the process?

or were you just gonna let them starve out, die to disease, or let a small predator population(which, with such an influx of food, would have an abundant population, later to starve out and die of disease...), take care of the problem?

or were you going the humane route and euthanizing these animals?

or were you going to start destroying suburbia and the cities and give some land back so they can have a supportive habitat?

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    I'm just worried that the farm lobby will be all "THIS PRODUCT MUST HAVE 'BIO-ENGINEERED IN A LABORATORY' EMBLAZONED IN 72-POINT BOLD RED COMIC SANS ACROSS THE FRONT OF THE LABEL" even when the product is indistinguishable from natural meat
    like those cunts at frito-lays did to pringles! emotarghzp4.gif

also i aint eatin no lab-meat.

Metzger Meister on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    i have a question though what are you going to do with all these animals as they frolick in the wild...onto FM 193094 and you hit it going about 70 and you total your vehicle killing yourself in the process?

or were you just gonna let them starve out, die to disease, or let a small predator population(which, with such an influx of food, would have an abundant population, later to starve out and die of disease...), take care of the problem?

or were you going to start destroying suburbia and the cities and give some land back so they can have a supportive habitat?
    what does that have to do with farming animals?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    what dead

I don't want animals running around

I want vats of meat product being produced deep within the bowels of some factory

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
    edited April 2009
    Druhim wrote: »

what are you gonna do with all the animals that were ranched/factory farmed once you have your forsaken lab meat

Dead Legend on
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    But it can't be impossible to lab-grow meat that actually looks, tastes, and has the texture of meat

I mean, we have meat cubes down. It's just a matter of aesthetics at this point.
    actually from what I've read, at this point they can get stem cells from say, a pig, to grow into a paste on a matrix but it's a paste
    not a chunk of meat

They're working on putting telomerase back into muscle cells of pigs, allowing them to grow forever in culture, exactly like cancer.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    arguably, the farm lobby today is made up of cryptofascists and thieves

Randall_Flagg on
    edited April 2009

what are you gonna do with all the animals that were ranched/factory farmed once you have your forsaken lab meat
    who says we would transition completely to "lab meat"? and even if we did, those animals we're farming are being bred by us specifically to eat
    simple answer, we stop breeding them

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That seems very unethical.

edit: the whole keeping a live pig as an endless meat-farm. also goddamnit randall what the fuck is a cryptofascist? stop being such a tool all the time.

cut it out. >:\

Metzger Meister on
    edited April 2009

cull the herds

one final slaughter, the last natural meat harvest before the shift to SynthMeat

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
    edited April 2009
    Trillian wrote: »
    But it can't be impossible to lab-grow meat that actually looks, tastes, and has the texture of meat

I mean, we have meat cubes down. It's just a matter of aesthetics at this point.
    actually from what I've read, at this point they can get stem cells from say, a pig, to grow into a paste on a matrix but it's a paste
    not a chunk of meat

They're working on putting telomerase back into muscle cells of pigs, allowing them to grow forever in culture, exactly like cancer.
    which I don't inherently have a problem with, but they need to find a way to actually make the muscle fibers do work or you still end up with something pretty flabby and disgusting I would imagine

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited April 2009
    Trillian wrote: »

not a chunk of meat

I have absolutely no problem with this so long as it doesn't give me cancer and is delicious

let's reduce the pig farming industry to one bloated, unidentifiable mass of what-was-once-pig flesh

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
    edited April 2009

edit: the whole keeping a live pig as an endless meat-farm. also goddamnit randall what the fuck is a cryptofascist? stop being such a tool all the time.

who said anything about keeping a live pig as an endless source of meat?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

You mean less ethical than raising millions to kill them?

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
    edited April 2009

arguably, it's not a real word and I just made it up

Randall_Flagg on
    edited April 2009
    hmmmmmmmm animals

wait

so according to ya'll

you're down for genocide and mass extinction for farm animals

gotcha

Dead Legend on
    edited April 2009

i dunno, i didn't really understand what was said and my mind immediately snapped to this horribly misshapen beat, a quivering, crippled mound of pork-fat being constantly stimulated with electrodes to maintain muscle density as they carve away hunks of flesh, which are replaced by the quickly-growing bacon-cancer.

Metzger Meister on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited April 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
    edited April 2009
    hmmmmmmmm animals

wait

so according to ya'll

gotcha

but we're killing them all anyway

so uh

yeah

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
    edited April 2009

i dunno, i didn't really understand what was said and my mind immediately snapped to this horribly misshapen beat, a quivering, crippled mound of pork-fat being constantly stimulated with electrodes to maintain muscle density as they carve away hunks of flesh, which are replaced by the quickly-growing bacon-cancer.
    but it wouldn't have a brain, so what would be unethical about it? it's just flesh without a central nervous system

just tissue

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited April 2009
    hmmmmmmmm animals

wait

so according to ya'll

gotcha

so uh

yeah

but there's always more!

Dead Legend on
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ok so one, A lot of people's view of food production and distribution seems to entirely consist of "What goes on my plate"

Also Randall's gone batshit again
    Wondeful

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
    edited April 2009
    also (I am actually being serious now) every time you buy a meat product you are subsidizing the torture of animals

so, you know, none of us really has the high ground here (except vegetarians)

Randall_Flagg on
    edited April 2009

but it wouldn't have a brain, so what would be unethical about it? it's just flesh without a central nervous system

just tissue

oh. well then it's fine, just kinda creepy to think about.

Metzger Meister on
    edited April 2009
    also (I am actually being serious now) every time you buy a meat product you are subsidizing the torture of animals

plants have feelings too

Dead Legend on
    edited April 2009

randall you have officially gone very very crazy.

Metzger Meister on
    edited April 2009

You're just more desensitized to the slaughter of hundreds of thousands of animals than the image of eating something that wasn't ever "alive"

which is fine, but that's the big problem synthetic food has to face

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm not a big fan of killing anything

however, meat is delicious, and I'm really too poor to go buying free-range vegetarian diet this and that

so, go lab-meat

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited April 2009
    hmmmmmmmm animals

wait

so according to ya'll

gotcha

so uh

yeah

but there's always more!

but if we switch to synthesized meat, we won't need to keep breeding fuck-all huge numbers of pigs and cows and the like

so there won't need to be more

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
    edited April 2009
    the Boss Hog article in Rolling Stone is once again relavant
    http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=test-tube-pork

note that this research is being conducted, in part, by a Dutch meat processor owned by Smithfield
    I'm not really sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited April 2009

You're just more desensitized to the slaughter of hundreds of thousands of animals than the image of eating something that wasn't ever "alive"

it's kind of like people telling me hunting is cruel and that i should go to the grocery store to buy my food

???

total disconnect

Dead Legend on
    edited April 2009
    hmmmmmmmm animals

wait

so according to ya'll

gotcha

so uh

yeah

but there's always more!

but if we switch to synthesized meat, we won't need to keep breeding fuck-all huge numbers of pigs and cows and the like

hey we got rid of slavery we don't need black people any more

Dead Legend on
    edited April 2009
    Dead has selective reading skills

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
    edited April 2009

Hey we're off the gold standard, don't need jews anymore

This is staggering

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    being a vegetarian is appealing strictly from a health viewpoint, but I've tried the shit they have to eat instead of meat and even the tastiest of it cannot even hold a candle to a Bologna sandwich

and I'm sure I could get used to it, but why would I want to?

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited April 2009

well, i am not unconcerned with the slaughter of animals. i believe that they deserve a relatively happy life, free-range and all that, and humane slaughter is absolutely necessary, but i also realize that an animals purpose is to be food, or to prey on, another animal, and in providing me a fucking huge barely-cooked steak they are fulfilling their purpose.

Metzger Meister on
    edited April 2009

randall you have officially gone very very crazy.
    do you know how much space a free-range chicken raised for eggs gets to move around in? Make a guess, then click the spoiler.
    About a large index-card's worth.

Now think about the chickens that aren't free-range.

Randall_Flagg on
    edited April 2009

Hey we're off the gold standard, don't need jews anymore

This is staggering

we can stop this madness!

together

Dead Legend on
    edited April 2009

it's kind of like people telling me hunting is cruel and that i should go to the grocery store to buy my food

???

total disconnect

And you think stopping the breeding and slaughter of them crueler than raising them in cages stuffing them full of growth hormones and killing them
    Also a bit of a disconnect

BusterK on
    edited April 2009
    hmmmmmmmm animals

wait

so according to ya'll

gotcha

so uh

yeah

but there's always more!

what the fuck kind of argument is this

are black people cattle to you? what are you even trying to say?

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
This discussion has been closed.