As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vista hanging on boot

Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm asking here because my google-fu fails to describe this problem in a searchable way: I have a Dell Studio 1735, and Vista boots fine up to the login screen. As soon as I login, the computer hangs at a black background with a double-height task bar and no start menu (or one which doesn't respond) for up to a full ten minutes before finishing startup normally. Initially I tried ending explorer.exe, but it failed to restart. My startup folder is empty save for my bluetooth software, and I checked the startup programs with CCleaner and saw nothing out of the ordinary. AVG isn't finding any viruses.

Is this likely to be one of my startup programs? It's pretty much AVG, rocketdock, google talk and network/fingerprint reader/sound/video stuff. What might be causing this?

Torso Boy on