Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[PRIME] Mobile/Portable Gaming Titles for PAX '09

kropotkinkropotkin MrLondon UKRegistered User regular
edited August 2009 in PAX Archive
MOBILE/PORTABLE GAMING TITLES FOR PAX '09

One of the most attractive elements of PAX has always been the mobile gaming element of the event. There is always a mobile gaming lounge area where people can site back on bean bags and play games on their mobile platform of choice. What is listed below is my first stab at what people may want to play at this years PAX. Please don't think this is definitive in any way. It is simply a suggestion list that I'd love to have people in these forums provide additional titles or indeed add details on the ones I suggest here, or even remove them!

Starting off with the PAX favourite then, the DS/DS Lite/DSi!

DS_logo.jpg

The DS is a favourite at PAX thanks to its ubiquitous nature. Listed below are some of the top favourites from years past as well as some new titles you may not have heard of. Click on the spoiler button to view them:
Spoiler:

psp-logo.jpg

Ahh the PSP. Much maligned by many as having 'no games'. But fear not PSP owner, there is plenty of love for Sony's first foray into mobile gaming. Click on the spoiler button to view them:
Spoiler:

iphone-logo.jpg

Now we have the iPhone/iPod Touch. Here are my selections for iPhone /iPod Touch games. I'm sure there are many more people will want to add. Click on the spoiler button to view them:
Spoiler:

That's it for my suggestions for mobile gaming titles. Please respond to this thread to add more or indeed pass comment on the one's I've posted up here.

kropotkin on

• ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    After seeing the staggering amount of DSs at last year's PAX, I'll be buying one exclusively for this year's expo. So this thread is a good thing for me. I would have no idea what people were playing otherwise.

Yay Worms!

Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    the new super mario brothers for the ds. You can only play with one other person but its always fun stealing stars from people.

its a secret to everyone
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You forgot about Pacman. One person plays as Pacman, the others play as the ghosts. Insanely fun.

1EAFQ.gif
  • MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tetris! And "The World Ends With You" was pretty popular last year (plus it's a pretty entertaining game).

edited April 2009
    Tetris! And "The World Ends With You" was pretty popular last year (plus it's a pretty entertaining game).

Is it the version of ds tetris where you can infinitely spin the pieces? god damn, i hate that version.

its a secret to everyone
    edited April 2009
    Civilization Revolutions might be popular this year too, for those multi-hour waits in line.

1EAFQ.gif
  • ColdbrewColdbrew PAX Community DVD Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tetris DS needs to be on the list. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum should be as well, there's usually a good deal of people dueling at any given time, and they do support 4 players.

I'll see what else I can think of...

ForumBanner1_zpsdb9ed925.png
  • kropotkinkropotkin Mr London UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    OK DS games added, thanks for the feedback everyone. Now what about the PSP and iPhone? There must be more for those formats! Come on folks, don't be shy now.

edited April 2009
    I'm quite positive that Resistance Retribution is multiplayer, I'm just not sure how many people it supports. It's a pretty descent game too, considering it's a third-person shooter on the PSP. :P

EDIT: The game supports 2-8 players, local ad-hoc and online over PSN.

Worms Open Warfare 2 is on the PSP as well and just as good. I'll keep looking around for more...

• Frightfully EnglishFrightfully English Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Anyone else game for Geometry Wars: Galaxies on the DS? Or is that just me? :)

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    I'm down for that, if I ever find time to actually play my DS this year.

• LTAcostaLTAcosta Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    N+ for the DS is fun :) though I think multiplayer is only 2 people...

• SuperChiefSuperChief Registered User
    edited April 2009
    I heard Mario Kart was fairly popular last year, so i'll be purchasing that.

This isn't your permission slip! This is your report cawd!
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I played a ton of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Ring of Fates on the plane last year. I plan to do the same with Echoes of Time this year.

edited April 2009
    im probably going to get flamed for this but have you guys thought of purchasing a homebrew storage device like a r4ds? it comes as a kit and you can download programs off of a usenet-type server and load them as an application on to the homebrew that fits into the ds.

its a secret to everyone
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    im probably going to get flamed for this but have you guys thought of purchasing a homebrew storage device like a r4ds? it comes as a kit and you can download programs off of a usenet-type server and load them as an application on to the homebrew that fits into the ds.

Many of us have one for legitimate homebrew purposes. I personally don't have any multiplayer games on mine though.

edited April 2009
    Don't mention anything that's not homebrew in conjunction with the R4 or any similar device, thanks.

edited April 2009

Are there any good multiplayers homebrew games?

1EAFQ.gif
    edited April 2009
    I got an older G6 card for mine, it's nice to be able to use the original DS as a media player. I haven't looked into DS homebrew too much though, but my Wii is loaded with it. :P

edited April 2009
    Homebrew is pretty much off limits thanks to the legal vagueries it has attached to it. Stick to off the shelf or legitimate downloadable titles please.

edited April 2009
    What about downloadable DSi games? Are there any plans for those to have multiplayer?

1EAFQ.gif
    edited April 2009
    ukiyo e wrote: »
    What about downloadable DSi games? Are there any plans for those to have multiplayer?

They fall into the same category as PSN and iPhone titles i.e. legitimate downloadable titles so yes!

edited April 2009
    downloadable games is really the only thing that makes me want a DSi

edited April 2009
    iPhone list added with 4 new games. Anyone else with more to add?

• DorkaliciousDorkalicious Registered User
    edited April 2009
    What about GTA Chinatown Wars?

edited April 2009
    What about GTA Chinatown Wars?

Good point! I've added it to the OP. Thanks for the feedback. Anyone else got some titles to share?

• YamaraYamara Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    ukiyo e wrote: »
    You forgot about Pacman. One person plays as Pacman, the others play as the ghosts. Insanely fun.
    I was trying to track down what game this is on Gamespot. All I could find for Pacman is Pac-Man World 3, Super Pac-Man Pinball, and Pac 'n Roll. What's the title, exactly?

We want strategy board game testers! Check out Paiko's Indie Game thread.
  • The_RatThe_Rat Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is there anywhere at PAX where there's less wireless lag than most places? For the last 2 years multiplayer has been next to impossible for a lot of DS games, even simple games like Tetris (mostly finding and joining hosts).

• ScootsScoots HandHeld Lounge Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't think I saw it on the list, but there is also Peggle for the DS now. I want to say multiplayer is limited to 2 people, but it's still a fun game.

A few people may remember LOL from last year. If you're bored, you're doing it wrong.

edited April 2009
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going to b upgrading the OP to have links to reviews of each game so you can gain more info about each title. As for lag in games at PAX, I never encountered any...

• The_RatThe_Rat Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Picross DS has a number of fun little game modes, if you're into nonograms I guess.

• seraphexseraphex Registered User
    edited April 2009
    iShoot for the iPhone/iPod Touch is now multiplayer. It should definitely make the list!

If I had talent, I wouldn't need all this money.
    Twitter - @papapwnsPAX
    edited April 2009
    Massive update to OP! Links to games added to each one and N-Gage removed as I only added it in as a joke :)

Also added Picross, iShoot and Drop7. Keep them coming folks, PAX 09 is only 4 months away....

• ScootsScoots HandHeld Lounge Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    quick question, since everyone is here, what would you all like to see as tournament choices for handheld gaming at PAX this year?

• DaNerdDaNerd Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't know how many (if any) people play Monster Hunter for the PSP, but it would make PAX for me if there were some fellow hunters to play with.

Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User
    edited April 2009
    I just loaded Starcraft onto my netbook. Does that count? :P

Houn wrote: »
    This is Penny Motherfuckin' Arcade. It's a better class of forum, and you know it.
  • rythos42rythos42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The_Rat wrote: »
    Is there anywhere at PAX where there's less wireless lag than most places? For the last 2 years multiplayer has been next to impossible for a lot of DS games, even simple games like Tetris (mostly finding and joining hosts).

I had some reaaaally bad lag in the line-up room last year when it was filled up, but it cleared up once every lefted - had some terrific games waiting for the concert to open up :).

I'm also bringing my Korg DS10 (not that I'm very skilled with it). While it's not nearly as common as Mario Kart, maybe there's some other folks out there who love it?

• Brex123Brex123 Registered User
    edited May 2009
    What about Untold Legends games for the PSP? It is a multiplayer co-op Diablo clone that could be good for the long lineups. I personally have not tried multiplayer since I am still trying to finish the single player, but it should be fun multiplayer if the single player says anything about it.

edited May 2009
    OK I'll be doing an update later today. Added titles:

Monster Hunter 2 or 3 if its out in the West by then.
    FlightControl - iPhone game that has gripped twitter for some reason

@Brex123 Untold Legends doesn't hold a candle to Monster Hunter I'm afraid and they are both of the same genre. So I'm going to go with Monster Hunter due to its popularity. I may also stick in Phantasy Start Online as well.

edited May 2009
    Isn't the new Chrystal Chronicles DS multiplayer?

1EAFQ.gif
This discussion has been closed.