As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My friend is addicted to WoW

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't really know why people compare games like WoW to normal games. They are fundamentally different.

Can you imagine if God of War 3 came out and to get the item that would give you strong enough attacks to kill Zeus you had to kill Hephaestus, and every time he died he had about a 5% chance of dropping God-Killer?

and 10 other NPCs wanted the God-Killer too?

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    I don't really know why people compare games like WoW to normal games. They are fundamentally different.

Can you imagine if God of War 3 came out and to get the item that would give you strong enough attacks to kill Zeus you had to kill Hephaestus, and every time he died he had about a 5% chance of dropping God-Killer?

Because WoW is the only game with rare drops.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Onslaught_FeiOnslaught_Fei Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

But with 39 other Kratoses and lots of teamwork and communication.

Onslaught_Fei on
    XBL: Onslaught Fei
  • Options
    edited April 2009

rare drops are only in games that want you to be addicted to them

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    edited April 2009

rare drops are only in games that want you to be addicted to them

Every game wants you to be addicted to them.

Onslaught_Fei on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2009

Your framing the argument is a bad way. You don't need the supposed God-Killer to kill Zeus. You need good gear, yes, but there's not one specific piece of gear that is 100% required for the content. And nothing on a 5% drop rate either.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Uh not really. I think you still don't know what an addiction is. A normal game just wants you to buy it.

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    edited April 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Your framing the argument is a bad way. You don't need the supposed God-Killer to kill Zeus. You need good gear, yes, but there's not one specific piece of gear that is 100% required for the content. And nothing on a 5% drop rate either.

Okay, so i got the specifics wrong. The point is still valid.

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    The point isn't valid at all. WoW is like an RPG. You need better stats to fight the next boss. Right now you can easily get the gear for the next, currently unreleased raid in about three weeks depending on luck and play time. Millions play the game casually like God of War.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Uh not really. I think you still don't know what an addiction is. A normal game just wants you to buy it.

Im pretty sure Call of Duty and Rock Band are begging me to be addicted to them. Oh I know what addicted is. I was addicted to Wow, as I stated in my first post.

Onslaught_Fei on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Okay, so i got the specifics wrong. The point is still valid.

Yeah your point isnt valid at all. Most raid bosses need beat psychologically (not to make this any kind of philosophical or martial artsy thread) and skill. Look at WOTLK. 10 new levels all old gear obsolete. All raid content cleared in 1 week. 1 week. It wasnt gear. This was like that in BC and vanilla WOW too. Just not that many people realized it.

Onslaught_Fei on
  • Options
    CrownAxeCrownAxe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    DotDotDash wrote: »
    Not a WoW player here, but I'm constantly amazed at how some people tend to get righteous about it.

So your buddy is 'addicted' to WoW and spends every waking hour sitting in front of his PC.

So I ask you - replace "WoW" with "reading books" or "painting" - would you feel compelled to intervene? He spends every waking hour curled up on the couch reading and not playing bass guitar or throwing the frisbee around or whatever socially acceptable activity you deem is appropriate.

Does this mandate soul saving?

YES

But you don't see people get that addicted to painting or reading. You do with WOW though

CrownAxe on
    AwesomeSig.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Cognisseur wrote: »
    TheMarshal wrote: »
    Man people actually schedule raids and stuff? That looks a hell of a lot like a job.

Raids are just another group activity. Replace the word raids with any of the following:

soccer games
    dates
    seeing a movie
    going out for food
    parties

Any time you have more than one person taking part in something, you're going to have to do some scheduling.

That's not really the same kind of scheduling though is it. If I had my week set out as Go Out For Drinks 7PM Monday Cinema 8pm Tuesday Sports Game Wednesday etc it'd be pretty weird. Actual social engagements are a lot looser, that raid schedule is laid out like a work timetable.

Monday nights, friends come over to watch House. Wednesdays, they come over for Lost. Same time, each week. Flag football league? That's dates and times. Date with girlfriend? Date and time.

Perhaps playing WoW 7 days a week is more schedule than you stick to, but that's just a matter of degree, not a different entity altogether. That doesn't even sound that weird then.

WoW was more like a poker night I could share with people in different states than a "job."

But that was based 100% on the culture of my guild. If you couldn't make it to a raid because you had something to do, well okay that's cool have fun see you next time.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    CrownAxe wrote: »
    Not a WoW player here, but I'm constantly amazed at how some people tend to get righteous about it.

So your buddy is 'addicted' to WoW and spends every waking hour sitting in front of his PC.

So I ask you - replace "WoW" with "reading books" or "painting" - would you feel compelled to intervene? He spends every waking hour curled up on the couch reading and not playing bass guitar or throwing the frisbee around or whatever socially acceptable activity you deem is appropriate.

YES

But you don't see people get that addicted to painting or reading. You do with WOW though

Bad analogy. Painting and reading are generally solitude activities. WOW is a social with the convenience of not wearing any pants.

Onslaught_Fei on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

YES

Bad analogy. Painting and reading are generally solitude activities. WOW is a social with the convenience of not wearing any pants.

Hey, there are plenty of social activities that you can enjoy without wearing pants.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited April 2009
    Feral wrote: »

YES

Hey, there are plenty of social activities that you can enjoy without wearing pants.

And they are very addicting activities.

Onslaught_Fei on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Feral wrote: »

YES

And they are very addicting activities.

True, true.

Feral on

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    proXimity wrote: »
    So basically, how do I get my friend to lose his addiction to WoW?

Get a girl for him.

_J_ on
  • Options
    RazielRaziel Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hold on, are you seriously suggesting that a random chance to gain an item causes addiction?

Unbelievable.

Personal responsibility has to enter into this at some point. By saying "Oh, adding elements of randomness for personal gain causes addiction" absolves the "addicted" of any responsibility over their fate. It's 12-step bullshit.

Just because you somehow find it more important to farm the Staff of Jordan than hang out with your friends or go to your daughter's ballet recital, doesn't make you an addict. It just makes you an asshole with poor priorities.

There's no evidence of physical or emotional withdrawal. And any untoward attachment to the game could simply indicate a deeper psychological problem.

Nothing pisses me off more than a knee-jerk reaction, blaming the most convenient scapegoat. If it's that important to you that your friend not play his game, then by all means nanny-goat him to death and shut off the computer.

Raziel on
    Read the mad blog-rantings of a manic hack writer here.

Thank you, Rubacava!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Raziel wrote: »
    Hold on, are you seriously suggesting that a random chance to gain an item causes addiction?

It's not causal. The random component is the aspect to which one gets addicted. But "random" does not itself "cause" addiction.

There's nothing random in gin, for example.

_J_ on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009

Unbelievable.

Personal responsibility has to enter into this at some point. By saying "Oh, adding elements of randomness for personal gain causes addiction" absolves the "addicted" of any responsibility over their fate. It's 12-step bullshit.

Just because you somehow find it more important to farm the Staff of Jordan than hang out with your friends or go to your daughter's ballet recital, doesn't make you an addict. It just makes you an asshole with poor priorities.

There's no evidence of physical or emotional withdrawal. And any untoward attachment to the game could simply indicate a deeper psychological problem.

Nothing pisses me off more than a knee-jerk reaction, blaming the most convenient scapegoat. If it's that important to you that your friend not play his game, then by all means nanny-goat him to death and shut off the computer.

rtt dude

skip to the posts by feral if you will

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yes. The random chance of getting something good is what is addictive. There's this thing in the real world... its called 'gambling'.

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    edited April 2009
    _J_ wrote: »

It's not causal. The random component is the aspect to which one gets addicted. But "random" does not itself "cause" addiction.

There's nothing random in gin, for example.

There's nothing random in a lot of WOW. Most of the best items are bought with PVP points, rewarded with arena performance, crafted with tradeskills, etc... PVE raids earn you PVE gear that makes PVE easier. PVE can be beaten without said gear, however.

Onslaught_Fei on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Unbelievable.

Gee, another "ZOMG ADDICTION IS JUST A MYTH" knee-jerk reaction. How novel.
    reVerse wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Seriously, that's what makes shit like WoW so evil...

The Nazis.

Stalin.

The KKK.

Saddam Hussein.

WoW.

Yeah, I can see how it fits right in there.

Yes, because the word "evil" is never used in any context other than genocidal madmen and the worst humanity has to offer.
    e·vil [ v'l ]

adjective
    Definition:

1. morally bad: profoundly immoral or wrong

2. harmful: deliberately causing great harm, pain, or upset
    This evil act is clearly the work of terrorists.

3. causing misfortune: characterized by, bringing, or signifying bad luck
    an evil omen

4. malicious: characterized by a desire to cause hurt or harm
    an evil mood

5. devilish: connected with the devil or other powerful destructive forces
    evil spirits

6. disagreeable: very unpleasant
    What an evil smell!

The power of the dictionary compels you! The power of the dictionary compels you! There's two definitions that have nothing to do with Hitler or Stalin. And that's just explicit definitions, not common usage. So you can take your pedantry and shove it.

Basically, this thread also shows why I wind up making a ton of bitchy posts every time a class update comes out for TF2. Basically, I suddenly find myself playing the game when I don't feel like or in ways I don't feel like to work towards a goal, the end result being that I am no longer playing to have fun. Which is, like, a "bad thing." But of course, you've got to put in the time/effort if you want the loot, and that loot has real in-game consequences...so it's hard to just not go through the motions.

I tried doing it legit for the Scout update. But like four or five hours in, I realized that I was playing for a form of positive feedback other than fun, and said fuck it and used the unlocker. I don't play MMOs for a reason, and this thread is basically the distilled version of it. If I'm not having fun, I have better shit to do.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ParagonParagon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tube has pretty much covered my stance on this, more or less. I don't quite like the tone in the original post, though.
    Two girls are renting the apartment under me, and one of them likes to game The Sims 2 in her free time. She told me that she really likes the game, and she would play it more often, but her roommate keeps telling her she has no life because she plays it for half an hour or hour every day. Just rubs me the wrong way when people butt their noses in like that trying to tell someone what they should be doing with their own free time.

My point with the story aside from my ranting is that I recognize there are real addicts in WoW, but not only is it hard to differentiate between an actual addiction and an avid fan, it is also an incredibly subjective analysis in the first place.

Paragon on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    There's nothing random in a lot of WOW. Most of the best items are bought with PVP points, rewarded with arena performance, crafted with tradeskills, etc... PVE raids earn you PVE gear that makes PVE easier. PVE can be beaten without said gear, however.

You're a god damned moron who says god damned moronic things.

Check maxdps.com or Elitist Jerks to see how many of the "best items" are pvp welfare epics or crafted items. If you're going to genuinely engage in a conversation pertaining to WoW and discuss gearing a character without mentioning mentioning Kel'Thuzad and rather focusing upon arenas, BGs, and other noob coddling bullshit then you simply do not have any idea of what the shit you're talking about.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The idea that random drops are not a huge part of WoW is ludicrous.

edit: _J_ beat me, and he brought the actual factual

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    edited April 2009

You're a god damned moron who says god damned moronic things.

Check maxdps.com or Elitist Jerks to see how many of the "best items" are pvp welfare epics or crafted items. If you're going to genuinely engage in a conversation pertaining to WoW and discuss gearing a character without mentioning mentioning Kel'Thuzad and rather focusing upon arenas, BGs, and other noob coddling bullshit then you simply do not have any idea of what the shit you're talking about.

derp derp hyuk hyuk

Kelthuzad can be taken down with 25 people with BC epics. Whats your point? Every guild has killed him on my former server. Looking now. Lets see if I were to play elemental shaman again, my #1 weapon choices are [Deadly Gladiator's Focus Staff] with the nearest NAXX item being 50 points dps lower. Okay. Done. Now what?

Onslaught_Fei on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Paragon wrote: »
    Tube has pretty much covered my stance on this, more or less. I don't quite like the tone in the original post, though.
    Two girls are renting the apartment under me, and one of them likes to game The Sims 2 in her free time. She told me that she really likes the game, and she would play it more often, but her roommate keeps telling her she has no life because she plays it for half an hour or hour every day. Just rubs me the wrong way when people butt their noses in like that trying to tell someone what they should be doing with their own free time.

My point with the story aside from my ranting is that I recognize there are real addicts in WoW, but not only is it hard to differentiate between an actual addiction and an avid fan, it is also an incredibly subjective analysis in the first place.

The limed part is EXACTLY what this thread originally was all about. Some guy spends a lot of time on WoW while still having a normal (though not very social) life, and a condescending person has taken upon himself to rid him of any behaviour he does not approve of.

And that's also what everyone here who says that WoW is inherently bad/lame/evil is doing.

With all the non-addicted WoW players, you'd think that the addicts have willpower issues and that WoW isn't the problem (although its mechanics encourage you to keep paying a monthly fee for it). Blizzard doesn't give a shit how many hours a week you play, as long as you don't cancel your subscription.

OF COURSE in a 11 millions people pool there will be addicts.

Some people genuinely enjoy WoW. Yes, scary, and an innovative concept to grasp, but not everyone shares your opinions on fun.
    Also, some people are not very social. Not because they're awkward or stupid or inconsiderate. They have very few friends, but the ones they have are good friends. They just don't like to drink. Or do small talk. Or mingle with strangers. Or they don't like clubs.

Finally, you DO derive something from WoW: Entertainment.

I can understand the sentiment people have. I find reality TV incredibly stupid and am sad that so many people don't miss a single episode of some shitty fake and retarded "reality" show. The same way many people find WoW inherently lame or antisocial (even though your guildies can be RL friends, or distant friends, or people you've met online and become online friends with (it's other humans controlling those characters)), but I don't go around and tell people that they're idiots for liking reality TV.

(PS: Like I said, I don't play WoW, I don't see anything I could find fun in it, and usually I get bored of every MMO after a few months and leave, as soon as it stops being fun enough and becomes too much like work.)

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Kelthuzad can be taken down with 25 people with BC epics. Whats your point? Every guild has killed him on my former server. Looking now. Lets see if I were to play elemental shaman again, my #1 weapon choices are [Deadly Gladiator's Focus Staff] with the nearest NAXX item being 50 points dps lower. Okay. Done. Now what?

You're a fuck-ass moron whose stupidity is only dwarfed by your inability to fucking read.

Deadly Gladiators Focus Staff: 371.14 DPS

Guiding Star: 393.51 DPS
    Voice of Reason: 77.65 DPS
    = 471.16 DPS

371.14 < 471.16 DPS

Fuck off and die, moron. Learn to assess your god damned class or uninstall.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Djiem wrote: »
    Paragon wrote: »

The limed part is EXACTLY what this thread originally was all about. Some guy spends a lot of time on WoW while still having a normal (though not very social) life, and a condescending person has taken upon himself to rid him of any behaviour he does not approve of.

And that's also what everyone here who says that WoW is inherently bad/lame/evil is doing.

With all the non-addicted WoW players, you'd think that the addicts have willpower issues and that WoW isn't the problem (although its mechanics encourage you to keep paying a monthly fee for it). Blizzard doesn't give a shit how many hours a week you play, as long as you don't cancel your subscription.

OF COURSE in a 11 millions people pool there will be addicts.

Have we asked whether or not the guy who wants his friend to stop playing is boring?

WoW is pretty damned fun. And if one can function AND play WoW there's no problem. It's a hobby.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

You're a fuck-ass moron whose stupidity is only dwarfed by your inability to fucking read.

Deadly Gladiators Focus Staff: 371.14 DPS

Guiding Star: 393.51 DPS
    Voice of Reason: 77.65 DPS
    = 471.16 DPS

371.14 < 471.16 DPS

Fuck off and die, moron. Learn to assess your god damned class or uninstall.

I looked at the first item on the list, it took me all of 10 seconds. Oh lovely you can link stuff that is on the test realm and isnt live yet. Let me go find you a razorblade.

Onslaught_Fei on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Saying that random chance of getting something you need in WoW isn't a huge part of the game is just wrong. I don't know the specifics, because I don't have a level 80 character. But telling me that a huge portion of your time in WoW hasn't been killing something that may or may not drop something valuable is obviously wrong.

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    edited April 2009
    Saying that random chance of getting something you need in WoW isn't a huge part of the game is just wrong. I don't know the specifics, because I don't have a level 80 character. But telling me that a huge portion of your time in WoW hasn't been killing something that may or may not drop something valuable is obviously wrong.

Well, unless that time is killing players. If you are raiding for loot than you are raiding for the wrong reasons in the first place.

Onslaught_Fei on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I looked at the first item on the list, it took me all of 10 seconds. Oh lovely you can link stuff that is on the test realm and isnt live yet. Let me go find you a razorblade.

Are you actually trying to contribute to the thread are you simply trying to see how many incorrect things in a row you can say?

The point of WoW is to acquire gear through raiding. Raid gear is random. You are fucking wrong.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Are you actually trying to contribute to the thread are you simply trying to see how many incorrect things in a row you can say?

The point of WoW is to acquire gear through raiding. Raid gear is random. You are fucking wrong.

Go back to your scrub guild wishing you salivating over colored game items. The point of playing wow is to compete or cooperate. How about instead of chime off with your cocksucker you go back a few pages and read up some.

Onslaught_Fei on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hey guy. If the point of WoW was to compete or cooperate everyone would start completely at the highest level.

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    edited April 2009
    Hey guy. If the point of WoW was to compete or cooperate everyone would start completely at the highest level.

They praticlly give it to you. So you can learn a thing or two about your class.

Onslaught_Fei on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The point of WoW changes person to person. Some play because of the lore, some play because of PvP, and some play to raid. You can't define the game to one end-goal since those goals change from person to person.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Well, that's because the point of WoW is to give Blizzard $15 per month. Everything else is secondary.

Cinders on
This discussion has been closed.