As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC] Godlike

• Options
    HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is there a limit to dampen ?
    Say could i dampen the movement of atoms in order to flash freeze everything (-273C)?

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So, can you make a guy that is invulnerable to pretty much everything via armor and then give him a Zed that doesn't shut off anything except those powers(essentially stack the "doesn't work on" stuff until you get a Zed cheap enough to negate the disentigration/instant kill/harm you're afraid of)?

That seems to be the best way that I see it.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    The EverymanThe Everyman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well, the handbook specifically mentions dampening electrical currents in the nervous system to kill something.

The Everyman on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Having looked through the book (that my friend was gracious enough to loan me), I'd like to join in. What types of party members have we got so far? I don't want to step on anyone's toes. Assuming you've got space for me to play, of course.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Well, the handbook specifically mentions dampening electrical currents in the nervous system to kill something.

It also mentions inertia. And if you "negate" inertia in a zone, everything in there becomes solid, including air. Actually, the molecules stop moving, which in turn means no heat. Absolute Zero. + no air. + no pressure. if you weren't already frozen you'd explode :P

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Having looked through the book (that my friend was gracious enough to loan me), I'd like to join in. What types of party members have we got so far? I don't want to step on anyone's toes. Assuming you've got space for me to play, of course.

I made an Extra Cool, Transmuting, Insubstantial.

However, I do not know if the GM will accept it (or, if I will be accepted in this game)

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Updated my character with the new skills and everything. Still Zed boy.
    Name: Dan Rutherford
    Height: 5'8"
    Other: Glasses

Dan was always picked on in high school for being "the weird kid." He did his best to ignore his classmates as much as possible, always off in a corner reading a book instead of socializing. Those who did try to become his friends noticed that he was always muttering random phrases to himself under his breath while he reads. Basically, a classic case of Asperger's syndrome. This drew even more attention from his classmates, until one day, Carl, the guy that had been beating him up all of these years decided to find other entertainment. And promptly punched a freshman through a brick wall. When the authorities came to take Carl away, Dan was inexplicably taken as well. Every since, he has been trained by the CIA and the NSA in stealth techniques. He has an unexplainable aversion to firearms and violence of any kind, so they trained him to be able to sneak behind enemy lines, plant explosives, and hack into computer systems. Although he is always still muttering under his breath and generally just a weird guy, he was trained not to do that when he is on a mission. He still doesn't understand why, as a requirement to every mission, he has to take a book with him and read it for a designated amount of time behind enemy lines. Isn't that kind of dangerous? Whatever, he gets paid really good money to do whatever his bosses tell him, plus he gets to enjoy his favorite hobby at work. He is currently working his way through War and Peace, by Leo Tolstoy.

Attributes & Skills:
    Body 1

Athletics:
    Brawling: 1 (MC)
    Climb: 1
    Endurance: 1 (MC)
    Health: 1
    Run: 1
    Swim: 1 (MC)
    Throw:

Coordination 2

Anti-Tank Rocket:
    Dodge:
    Driving (Automobile):
    Flamethrower:
    Grenade: 1 (MC)
    Knife Fighting: 1 (MC)
    Machine gun: 1 (MC)
    Mortar:
    Pilot (type):
    Pistol: 1 (MC)
    Rifle: 1 (MC)
    Sailing (type):
    Stealth: 2 (MC)
    Submacine gun:

Sense 2

Hearing:
    Sight:
    Smell:
    Taste:
    Touch:

Brains 4

Cryptography: 3
    Education:
    Electronics: 2
    Explosives: 2
    First Aid: 1
    Language (English): 1 (free)
    Map Reading: 1 (MC)
    Mechanics (Type):
    Medicine:
    Navigation (Land/Sea): 1 (MC)
    Navigation (Air):
    Radio Operation: 2
    Survival (Jungle): 4 (MC)
    Tactics(Jungle): 1 (MC)

Command 1

Inspire:
    Intimidation:
    Leadership:
    Perform (Type):
    Seduction:

Cool 2

Bluff: 1
    Lie:
    Mental Stability: 2

Base Will: 6

Powers:
    Zed
    Extras: 5 Ranks of Radius (100 yards), Always on, No Upward Limit, Friendly Fire
    Flaws: Beacon, No Go: Healing, No Go: Precognition, No Go: Transmutation
    Nervous Habit: Bookworm. Dan's power only works when he is reading a book. Part of his training included that he always bring a book with him wherever he goes, and whenever his unit is engaged in gunfire to immediately take cover and begin reading. The commander of every unit that he is sent on a mission with is notified why he does this, and what makes his power work. Everyone else knows that's what makes his power work except him; Dan is oblivious as to why he does this, he doesn't even think it's weird (remember, Asperger's). Dan is completely unaware that he is a Talent, and nobody knows what would happen if he were to find out.[/QUOTE]

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    How exactly is he supposed to be a stealthy sort with perfectly average stats and an always on beacon?

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    How exactly is he supposed to be a stealthy sort with perfectly average stats and an always on beacon?

My guess would be that he has some training and some ability for stealth. (2+2). Which is better than 0. However the real power of this guys lies in negating enemy talents. I'm not sure how Zed works exactly, I don't know if he can cancel everything or only somethings. It's still good to have him along.

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

My guess would be that he has some training and some ability for stealth. (2+2). Which is better than 0. However the real power of this guys lies in negating enemy talents. I'm not sure how Zed works exactly, I don't know if he can cancel everything or only somethings. It's still good to have him along.

Ah, I hadn't noticed the stealth skill.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The Beacon is the pain, since it lets everyone know you're there when you're zeding... which is always. It means that everyone with a power is going too be gunning for you. And 100 yards isn't that far.

Anyway, it seems we have a sniper, a zed, a tank, a sense, do we have an anti-armor guy?

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Another thing, I think that Nervous Habit: Bookworm conflicts with Always On.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If it's only effective when he's reading, then it's not Always On.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    In terms of making a character, here are the powers currently being utilized:

- Hyperstat Cool, Transmutation, Insubstantiation

- Zed

- Hyperstat Coordination, Detection, Fade

- Hyperstat Coordination, Hyperstat Cool, Teleportation

- Hyperstat Brains, Healing, Dead Ringer

- Hyperstat Sense, Hyperstat Coordination, Hyperstat Body

The Everyman on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    What does dead ringer do? And yea, it looks like you could use an anti-tank guy.

edit: If i use a power with the endless property, can i use the power on something else later, or will that use up my total die pool?

E.G. I was thinking of a guy with plasticine touch(PDF, first power, from Godlikes website). Who would use his power to reduce armor(or increase our personal armor), and then shoot the formerly armored things with a pistol.

I was wondering if i use it (with "endless", and "no touch") on some armor to turn some LAR 2 into say, HAR 2 or better will that turn off when i use the plasticine touch on something else or will it persist? The "multiple target" seems to suggest it might turn off, but i do not know if that is just for single action splits(I.E. using it on two things in the same action).

Another question:

If i had "always goes last" flaw would that preclude me from using it defensively (to say, turn a bullet into the consistency of water)?

edit: i am assuming 20 skill points and 25 power/will points.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Goumindong wrote: »
    What does dead ringer do? And yea, it looks like you could use an anti-tank guy.
    Think Morph from the X-Men, but you have to touch them, and you can only remember your Brains in forms.

It's helpful that the Hyper-Brains guy who speaks five languages has it, though.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

edit: If i use a power with the endless property, can i use the power on something else later, or will that use up my total die pool?

E.G. I was thinking of a guy with plasticine touch(PDF, first power, from Godlikes website). Who would use his power to reduce armor(or increase our personal armor), and then shoot the formerly armored things with a pistol.

I was wondering if i use it (with "endless", and "no touch") on some armor to turn some LAR 2 into say, HAR 2 or better will that turn off when i use the plasticine touch on something else or will it persist? The "multiple target" seems to suggest it might turn off, but i do not know if that is just for single action splits(I.E. using it on two things in the same action).

Another question:

If i had "always goes last" flaw would that preclude me from using it defensively (to say, turn a bullet into the consistency of water)?

edit: i am assuming 20 skill points and 25 power/will points.
    You can never permanently transmute something in Godlike. There's even a sidebar saying "don't ever allow this."

And yeah, anything with "Always Goes Last" is useless for defense (because you'll turn the bullets into water after they hit you).

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Even with the gobble die mechanic and/or reflexive? Or was i reading something into the power defense that wasn't there?

edit: Figured out how that would work... Hmmm still considering it(do i need to be able to melt incoming things if i can make my body armor HAR quality?)

edit: would an explosive as soft as rubber still explode? These are strange considerations(thinking of taking the "one way" flaw)

So character creation, we get 6 stats, 20 skills, 25 powers and there is no way to go between them. E.G. i don't have any hyper stats(because i don't want to be "always on" to a talent, but i want to buy up some of my normal stats with some surplus power points? Is that just not possible?

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    That link says that Plasticine Touch only functions while you continue to concentrate on it. As far as I know, that means you can't take any other actions while you maintain it.

E: That isn't to say, however, that you shouldn't take it (with the flaw that means you can only downgrade hardness) and melt a guy every turn.

Double E: Wait, the PDF says they take shock damage at 1 point/turn after you've downgraded their body stat to 0. Whoops.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Can someone explain the gobble die mechanic?

Gahh, I have to will myself not keep making new characters.

The Everyman on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Even with the gobble die mechanic and/or reflexive? Or was i reading something into the power defense that wasn't there?

edit: Figured out how that would work... Hmmm still considering it(do i need to be able to melt incoming things if i can make my body armor HAR quality?)

edit: would an explosive as soft as rubber still explode? These are strange considerations(thinking of taking the "one way" flaw)

So character creation, we get 6 stats, 20 skills, 25 powers and there is no way to go between them. E.G. i don't have any hyper stats(because i don't want to be "always on" to a talent, but i want to buy up some of my normal stats with some surplus power points? Is that just not possible?
    Yes, that is correct. And 5 is the human maximum in any skill, and you can't have more in a skill than you have in the associated stat.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Can someone explain the gobble die mechanic?

Gahh, I have to will myself not keep making new characters.
    If something is gobbling, it has to match the height of whatever it's gobbling.

So, Zed gobbles power dice. Someone tries to use his laser vision on a Zed. He rolls four 1s and two 9s. The Zed rolls three 8s. So, he gobbles three of the ones, which makes that match totally useless (it's down to width one, minimum width is two), but can't do anything about the 9s. If it had been two 7s or two 8s instead of two 9s, he could have gobbled one of those, and completely negated the power.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    That link says that Plasticine Touch only functions while you continue to concentrate on it. As far as I know, that means you can't take any other actions while you maintain it.

E: That isn't to say, however, that you shouldn't take it (with the flaw that means you can only downgrade hardness) and melt a guy every turn.

Double E: Wait, the PDF says they take shock damage at 1 point/turn after you've downgraded their body stat to 0. Whoops.

I am taking the "Can't hurt people" flaw anyway. But that is not what it means as far as i can tell.

Actually its "no touch, can't hurt people, loopy" and "short duration" for a total point cost of 1/2/4 which allows me to buy 3 wd and 5d for 17 points. This makes my minimum success a 4, which is quite strong. While i can't melt people with it(or freeze them into place) i think its worth it to be able to knock bullets out of the air, make armor harder than it reasonably needs to be, and do lots of other things speedily and strongly. It gives me enough die to knock down the successes via gobble die for very high penetration weapons as well. For 20 points i could buy 4 wd and 4d

Its main weakness is that it can only do so much as my body stat allows(some 300 pounds at body 3 or 4). So i can't make an entire tank the consistency of liquid, only a portion of it(which i can do). (preferably the part where I am going to be shooting and/or the barrel right at the hinge, so it can't shoot and/or will explode if it does)

I could also buy reflexive at a cost of "only one way" but i am not sure i want to do that since making things hard is still pretty useful. (Like say the lock of a door that some guy is trying to bust through, or the door and frame itself, etc)

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    man i would just take 8 HD (for 16 points) over 5d+3wd for 17

but then what do i know

i love huge successes

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    man i would just take 8 HD (for 16 points) over 5d+3wd for 17

but then what do i know

i love huge successes
    That is a way huge success. On the other hand, you'll never get extra Will doing that.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    how exactly do you get extra will from rolling wiggle die anyway? Nevermind, you don't. Hmmm, its something to consider.

But yea, 8 hard successes would be pretty sweet, it would make it hard to be zedded too(if my understanding is correct).

ed: I am also assuming flaws cannot reduce the cost of a power below 1/2/4.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    how exactly do you get extra will from rolling wiggle die anyway? Nevermind, you don't. Hmmm, its something to consider.

But yea, 8 hard successes would be pretty sweet, it would make it hard to be zedded too(if my understanding is correct).

ed: I am also assuming flaws cannot reduce the cost of a power below 1/2/4.
    All of that is true.

You get extra Will by rolling at least one ten while rolling a success. Hard dice and wiggle dice don't count.

Basically, you risk a will point every time you use a power. If you get no successes, you lose it. If you get at least one success, you don't lose it. If you get at least one success and roll at least one ten, you get another will point.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    On the other hand, 8 hard successes is enough to turn diamond [10 HAR] into human being consistency(7 is enough to do remove all armor)... But 4 is enough to turn liquid into wood and 10 HAR into 3 LAR

And no matter what the extra successes are extra time that i can keep it up. 7 Seems like all you would ever need and is enough successes that whatever you want to do is going to go first...

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    7 is definitely enough. With that, you can liquefy almost anything.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    What are the rules for hyperskills(rather than hyper stats). Do they flag you as always on just as hyper stats do? Can they be extended above your stat totals?

edit: Also, 11 points left to spend, i want to avoid hyper stats, but buying body up to 7 or 8 is tempting.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    What are the rules for hyperskills(rather than hyper stats). Do they flag you as always on just as hyper stats do? Can they be extended above your stat totals?

edit: Also, 11 points left to spend, i want to avoid hyper stats, but buying body up to 7 or 8 is tempting.

Yes and yes.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Can you buy more standard stats as you go along?(as in, after the game starts) or can you only develop your powers?

edit: And what does Aces do?

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Currently looking at this:
    William Carpenter[Willy]

Background: Born just before WWII, Willy joined up with the French Foreign Legion a good while before the draft hit and had been stationed in Vietnam with the 5th regiment. He was trained as a grenadier with a job fixing trucks. Which was where he first manifested, though he did not know it at the time. When the United States entered the war he requested leave from the legion to fight with the Americans, and is either on loan for the time being, or discharged and instated with the Americans. Whatever the case, he still wears his beret whenever the times allow.

(stats spent)[Skills Spent]{Powers Spent}
    Stats(6)Skills[20]Powers{25}
    Body 7(2){4}
    Coordination 3(2)
    -Pistol [3]
    -Shotgun [3]
    -Grenade [3]
    -Dodge[3]
    Brains 1
    -Language(English)[free]
    -Language(French)[1]
    -Mechanic(Car)[1]
    Command 1
    -Inspire [1]
    -Leadership [1]
    -Seduction[1]
    Cool 3(2)
    -Mental Stability [3]
    Sense 1

Base Will 5

Power
    Plasticine touch
    5(1/2/4) or 7 HD for {14}
    No touch
    +1(6/12/24)
    Loopy
    -2(4/8/16)
    Cant Hurt People
    -2(2/4/8)
    Short Duration
    -1(1/2/4)

Hyper-body 4d{4}
    Flaws: Shocking -2(1/2/4)

Extra Tough 1 rank{4}

Go First 1 Rank{3}
    Extra: Combat Precognition +2/rank

equipment:
    Helmet/Body Armor

M1917 Trench Gun(shotgun)
    Slow 2(2 rounds to load when not loaded), Spray 3*
    Ammo cap: 5(12 Gauge Buckshot)
    Range: 15/30
    Dmg: ?

Ammo: 12 Gauge Buckshot
    Dmg/Pen/Area: +1/0/0

*adds spray dice to all attacks

Browning High Power
    Ammo: 13(9mm)
    Range: 16/32

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    edit: And what does Aces do?

Aces is like Super-luck. It adds extra dice that you can roll whenever you want, but I think it's really (really) Will-intensive. Like, bring double-digit will to the party.

Also, I'm not married to my hyper-senser/hyper-body. I'm waiting on Jacques to let me know if he wants me to shift off that patch of specialization.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hard dice don't get you will points though so you would just use up all your will and be useless unless you got them back with some other power.

EDIT: If I buy an SIS package (Sniper, say) could my skill be greater than my stat or would I just free up more stat points for other things?

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Name: Michael McConnell "The Man with the Atomic Fist"
    Nationality: Irish-Canadian
    Political Affiliation: None Known
    Education: Some High School
    Decorations: Classified
    DOB: 04/04/21
    DOT: 7/18/41

Known Parahuman Abilities: Sergeant McConnell is capable of reducing upwards of 1100 pounds of material to nothing with merely the touch of a hand. He also seems to have developed his naturally authoritative demeanour ("I didn't go ta college, but if I did I'd have majored in shouting.") into something rather extraordinary. His Irish/Canadian lilt is hypnotic, and his listeners will often find themselves handing over any "extra" rations, smokes, or cash they have on hand -- without really knowing why. More usefully, McConnell once commanded a German truck driver to steer his vehicle over the edge of a cliff, and used the confusion caused by the ensuing explosion to blast his way into a POW camp.

History: McConnell was an itinerant before the war, moving from place to place and getting by on charm and a strong right hand. When the war began he signed up immediately and his easy demeanour quickly garnered him promotion to Sergeant. In early 1941, he was transferred to a Canadian military station at Traill, B.C., and put in charge of security for something called 'Project 9'. It was there that his Talents manifested.
    Stats:
    Body 3 (6)

Athletics: 3
    Brawling: 3 (MC)
    Climb:
    Endurance: 3 (MC)
    Health: 2
    Run:
    Swim: 1 (MC)
    Throw:

Coordination 2

Anti-Tank Rocket:
    Dodge: 2
    Driving (Automobile): 2
    Flamethrower:
    Grenade: 1 (MC)
    Knife Fighting:
    Machine gun: 2 (MC)
    Mortar:
    Pilot (type):
    Pistol: 1 (MC)
    Rifle: 1 (MC)
    Sailing (type):
    Stealth: 1 (MC)
    Submacine gun:

Sense 1

Hearing: 1
    Sight: 1
    Smell:
    Taste:
    Touch:

Brains 1

Cryptography:
    Education:
    Electronics:
    Explosives:
    First Aid:
    Language (English): 1 (free)
    Map Reading: 1 (MC)
    Mechanics (Type):
    Medicine:
    Navigation (Land): 1 (MC)
    Navigation (Sea/Air): 1 (MC)
    Radio Operation:
    Survival (Jungle): 1 (MC)
    Telephony:
    Tactics (Jungle): 1 (MC)

Command 4 (9)

Inspire:
    Intimidation: 4
    Leadership: 2
    Perform (Type):
    Seduction:

Cool 1

Bluff:
    Lie:
    Mental Stability:

Base Will: 4

Talents:
    Disintigrate: 5D + 2HD
    Extras: Piecemeal (2/4/8)
    Flaws: Full Power Only (-1/-2/-4), Loud (-1/-2/-4), Glow (-1/-2/-4), Nervous Habit: Yell "Kablooie!" (-1/-2/-4), Non-Organic Only (-2/-4/-8)
    Cost: (1/2/4): 9

Hyper-Command: 5D
    Cost: (2/4/8): 10

Hyper-Body: 3D
    Cost: (2/4/8): 6

Apparently H.G. Wells used the term "Atomic Bomb" as early as 1914, so I'm okay with his code-name.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Looks good. Changed my character sheet to be a little more useful so I can track things I detect now.

EDIT: Ernest Henry

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm hypercool ! And bullets pass through me. How do you think it is for enemy morale, when a glowing screaming girl comes at you and you bullets go through her ?

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Put me in as a secondary for this even though I don't have the book. If someone drops out I'd play (would need assistance making a character though).

Maticore on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    So here's my new character. He's a Commander with a hefty right hand. I'm thinking that his public tag will be either Nuclear Command or The Man with the Atomic Fist. Nuclear Command is a bit anachronistic, though, so it'll probably be the latter.

Thoughts? Critiques?

If "nuclear" is anachronistic, wouldn't "atomic" also be temporally misplaced ? Unless it means "the man with the extremely small fist" ?

Hermenegilde on