As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need help w/ Fonts

LuqLuq Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I need the following fonts for a client (executive at a university). I'm trying to figure out if they come with Adobe Photoshop, some other Adobe product, or if I have to buy them separately. I freely admit that design is not an area of my expertise. Unfortunately the client wants these today. Isn't that always the case with executives? Any advice for me?

Gill Sans (medium or regular weight not light)
Gill Sans Italic
Gill Sans Bold
Gill Sans Bold Italic

Minion
Minion Italic
Minion Semibold
Minion Semibold Italic
Minion Bold
Minion Bold Italic

FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
Luq on

• Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    The only legal way to get them is to buy them. You might get some versions free with certain applications but a) you are unlikely to get the full sets and b) it would be against the licence to take them from somebody who had said application or to give them to your client. The good news is you can buy them online pretty easily from a variety of sources. The bad news is they are going to be a lot more expensive than you are likely to expect.

When you say they want them, do you mean they want the actual fonts to install on their computers or do they want you to design something using these fonts?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Just to clarify, I'm not trying to get them illegally or pull some monkey business copying them from one PC to another.

The client is wanting to modify an existing document. The client has reasons for not wanting to change any fonts in the document. The existing document uses those fonts, and came from a publications department on campus. The publications department has all those fonts of course. They have no idea where they came from. I'm inclined to believe they were packaged with a piece of software they installed, but it may have been from a font pack. Just from what I can find after googlage, they are Adobe fonts.

edit: and oh yes I looked at prices. Scary stuff. That's why I'm hoping it just comes with some piece of Adobe software, because we can just purchase that at the educational price.

Luq on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, there are a few different foundries that do versions of Gill Sans, but Minion is an original Adobe invention.

Ah. Apparently you can get Minion Pro free with Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0 (which is itself free). Seemingly it won't install them automatically though.
    To get the font, install Acrobat Reader version 7 then look in the resource folder where acrobat reader was installed. I will probably be at this address on your computer: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Resource\Font. You will see the Minon files. You still must install the fonts so your system will recognize them. For windows users, open control panel, switch to classic view, scroll down to fonts, and then copy the minion fonts into your fonts folder.

Minion Pro should contain the full set of weights and italics. I can't seem to find anything about Gill Sans. It's possible that it is or has been bundled with something as well.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Sweet. That's $118 saved so far.

Luq on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    :)

You could probably get an educational discount on fonts as well. I'd be surprised if you couldn't as I'm sure they probably give educational discounts on font bundles they sell to design colleges.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Both of those fonts come with InDesign CS2.

Ataxrxes on