As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Today's Good News: I'm getting "Wii's Files Corrupted" messages

EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Games and Technology
I first got one a few days ago when I tried playing a normal disc game; probably Wii Sports or the like. I turned it off and restarted, and it seemed fine, though I did find some files in the system's drive that were labeled only with a question mark. So things were fine for a few days, but I got the problem again today, and I'd rather not fiddle with it again until I know what I should do. How common is this? I've had the system for about two years without problems, except that every once in a while the system would freeze when I entered an application. What's my next step here, and what are the odds it means losing my system for weeks or losing all my saves? I had JUST gotten all but the last secret on Brawl, too.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
EmperorSeth on

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I haven't heard of this problem as being very common at all; in fact, this is the first time I've heard a forumer here having this specific issue. In other words its a rare issue.

If I were you, I'd back up any important saves to an SD card, at least.

Where are these messages popping up? Upon clicking on the files in settings/Wii memory?

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    I haven't heard of this problem as being very common at all; in fact, this is the first time I've heard a forumer here having this specific issue. In other words its a rare issue.

If I were you, I'd back up any important saves to an SD card, at least.

Where are these messages popping up? Upon clicking on the files in settings/Wii memory?

I tried backing them all up, but I thought some games wouldn't let you. Notably, Smash Brothers I think.

It came up upon clicking the game file from the main menu. So I'd insert Wii Sports or whatnot, select it from the menu, and then it would go to load the game, except I got this message instead.

EmperorSeth on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Isn't there a "Debug Mode" for the Wii? I think it's "Hold + and - when you turn the Wii on, and where it gives you the seizure warning or whatever you press A". Not sure what this does, but you might be able to save the data through that mode.

urahonky on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is there a way to reset the firmware? Maybe this occurred due to a screwup in updating the firmware..?

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Is there a way to reset the firmware? Maybe this occurred due to a screwup in updating the firmware..?

I heard that theory. I have wireless, so supposedly the update could go wrong when downloading. I'm not sure how to fix it, though.

EmperorSeth on
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My guess is during an upgrade or while you tried to save some game data something messed up (power outage?) causing the whatever files were being accessed to become corrupted. Resetting the firmware will probably require you to reformat your entire storage but should work. Sadly I am not sure how you can go about backing up whatever you have on the HD. Have you contacted Nintendo Support?

Lux782 on