As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Yearly Emergence of the Death Orb is Nigh... (Summer Plans Thread)

CogliostroCogliostro Marginal OpinionsSpring, TXRegistered User regular
edited April 2009 in Social Entropy++
As most of you know, university is almost out for the semester and summer is quickly approaching. For those of us in the great white north, that means snow melts and random patches of green and brown begin to show through the melting snow. Here in Alaska we have two seasons: winter and construction.

My plans thus far for the upcoming yearly appearance of the giant burning orb in the sky is several camping trips and many, many overnight hiking trips around the Peninsula My boyfriend, who has never been camping in Alaska (much less camping in a non-drive in site) is going to be coming with me so we're going to be starting out slow with a nice 10 mile hike through an area called Seven Lakes trail. There will be much fun had by all. We'll go on a series of increasingly longer/difficult hikes culminating in a 21 mile, one week hike through to Crescent Lake Trail wherein we will be bringing along a narcoleptic pack horse named Spencer. He's a special boy, folks.

So what are your summer plans for this year? First vacation since starting school? Also, since I'm particularly interested in the outdoors, let's share some good ideas for overnight hiking and tent-camping.

Go?

Cogliostro on

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited April 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i'm going back to denver and maybe apply with a police department or some shit, i dunno.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    man, spring just started

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Alaska has two seasons, Northern Exposure and Sarah Palin.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You don't understand, Dru... the minute that first patch of brown grass appears from beneath the snow, my cabin fever sets in and I begin going stir-crazy wanting to head out into the bush. If I had the money for cold weather gear I'd go out year round, but I don't and so this is when I start my planning for summer. I've lost all my overnight hiking gear (including a very nice $150 backpacking stove) and so I have to buy it all again. Of course my fag side lives for this part because it means I get to plan for shopping and then actually go shopping.

I just picked up a really nice pack from a guy here at work.. 4200 cubic inches. He bought it in Italy and backpacked around Europe in it. He's selling it to me for $40, which is completely awesome because this thing is worth $140 in shitty condition, but the only thing wrong is with this one is one of the zippers is broken (it still closes with the other zipper, so it's all good).

I've been hitting every camping supply and military surplus store in town (have to re-buy my 2-quart cantines). Luckily my tent is still intact. The tent I want is around $120... but my current $30 Fred Meyer special is huge in size and very light.

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    my last two summers have been pretty shitty so i'm hoping this one will break the trend

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    it's slowly getting colder here

I welcome it with open arms

I'll be working and saving money and trying to bone ladies

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm still all about planning an AkPAX if there are enough of us here to make it worth while... even if it's just a weekend in Anchorage or out at Skilak.

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i fucking love northern exposure

the dvd (i think its the first season) came in a little orange vest, it is AWESOME

We have this channel called Universal HD that shows upscaled HD episodes from time to time. When I was working from home, I watched so much Northern Exposure.

What happened to you, Alaska? You used to be so cool.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sarah Palin happened

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Cogliostro wrote: »
    You don't understand, Dru... the minute that first patch of brown grass appears from beneath the snow, my cabin fever sets in and I begin going stir-crazy wanting to head out into the bush. If I had the money for cold weather gear I'd go out year round, but I don't and so this is when I start my planning for summer. I've lost all my overnight hiking gear (including a very nice $150 backpacking stove) and so I have to buy it all again. Of course my fag side lives for this part because it means I get to plan for shopping and then actually go shopping.

I just picked up a really nice pack from a guy here at work.. 4200 cubic inches. He bought it in Italy and backpacked around Europe in it. He's selling it to me for $40, which is completely awesome because this thing is worth $140 in shitty condition, but the only thing wrong is with this one is one of the zippers is broken (it still closes with the other zipper, so it's all good).

I've been hitting every camping supply and military surplus store in town (have to re-buy my 2-quart cantines). Luckily my tent is still intact. The tent I want is around $120... but my current $30 Fred Meyer special is huge in size and very light.
    who uses canteens anymore? either get lexan bottles or bladders if your pack is designed to handle them (like a Camelbak bladder)

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Moving from Washington D.C. to Oahu, HI. 8-)

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    god, I would hate living in Hawaii

nice place to visit, but after a couple of weeks there I start to crave culture and diversity

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, that thought is in the back of our minds. It's just my wife and I, no kids to worry about, and we're giving ourselves three years before we freak out.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    Cogliostro wrote: »

who uses canteens anymore? either get lexan bottles or bladders if your pack is designed to handle them (like a Camelbak bladder)

I have a camelback, but I also bring in freeze-dried food that requires water to cook. I don't always have a water purifier, and I drink a lot of water just hiking. I'm pretty old-school except I bring an MRE or two in case I don't want to break out the cooking stuff. I do have a nice mess kit for when I want to get fancy. I'm bringing a .22 on the trail this year because last year I saw a buttton of rabits. I can bring in dehydrated veggies enough for a nice rabbit stew.

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    LinksvilleLinksville Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Working on my Animation portfolio, trying to find a job and looking for the next school to get into. Dear god help me.

Linksville on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    yeah camelbaks don't hold a whole lot so it's good to have a couple canteens. that's how i always rolled anyways

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    yeah camelbaks don't hold a whole lot so it's good to have a couple canteens. that's how i always rolled anyways

besides, camelbacks are expensive..

And I paid $4 each for two 2-quart new army surplus canteens with ALICE clip covers

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    100 oz isn't a lot?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    i got my nice fancy camelbak for free

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    100 oz isn't a lot?

For the price? Camelbacks are like $40. For 10 times less I can hold more.

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    100 oz isn't a lot?

who the hell wants to carry a 100 oz camelbak. i mean maybe if you're going out for three days with no resupply, but shit.
    but you said they don't hold a lot

and it's a fucking bladder
    need less water? put less fucking water in it

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    100 oz isn't a lot?

not really. i had a 100oz camelbak, and two 2 quart canteens and on hot days i would go through all my water by mid-afternoon, on an easy day.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    100 oz isn't a lot?

who the hell wants to carry a 100 oz camelbak. i mean maybe if you're going out for three days with no resupply, but shit.
    but you said they don't hold a lot

and it's a fucking bladder
    need less water? put less fucking water in it

i know i misread that that's why i deleted the post keep up

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    longbaugh how high are you right now? you just posted that 100 oz is too much then just after that complained that 100 oz isn't nearly enough

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    i misread the initial post that is why i deleted it and made a different post

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Doing a Route 66 road trip late summer.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    nah, my canteens are cheaper. I will use my existing bladder to put in my new pack, but I'm also carrying the 2-quart canteens, plus my 1 quart belt canteen. I'm a military surplus whore (mostly because they're cheap). I may break down and buy a water purifier, even though the good ones are like $60. I can get a SteriPEN for about $99. They're pretty cool

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    oh hey look a thread for kids that have no fucking jobs

fuck you

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Or kids that are looking to replace all the old people.

Linksville on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I have a job, dorkfish - 2 in fact. I work in the ED as a tech, and I work for a fire department as a Firefighter/Paramedic. I work 12 and 24 hour shifts respectively, so I have more days off in a row.

Plus I'll have a ton of PTO built up.

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Mysst wrote: »
    oh hey look a thread for kids that have no fucking jobs

fuck you

Bitch I got my own business.
    drug dealer

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I was unaware they let she-things in to colleges. Damn liberals are taking over!

Nursing is apparently a popular degree. There are hardly any nurses and you can get a job ANYWHERE in the United States. Traveling nurses make bank, too.

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Linksville wrote: »
    Or kids that are looking to replace all the old people.

going to school brofist

Listen toke-smoke-sista, I may go back to school for Sculpting. Oh god that would be awesome. I spent all day yesterday working on one of my acquaintances Super Sculpy figures. I miss working with clay!

Linksville on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    psh, the united states

i'm going to canadurr

Oh! I know another gay who went there. He's at uni in Vancouver somewhere. He was kind of a man-whore, though.

Cogliostro on