As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finance charges and PayPal

ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
About a week ago I purchased a software CD-Key from a small online merchant in Quebec for $17. I paid for it with my credit card via PayPal.

Today I look at my credit card statement and there is a $20.00 finance charge on the same date as the PayPal transaction for something called "cash Equivalent Fee", which googling suggests I something like a Cash Advance I guess.

I guess it's my fault for not fully understanding the nuances of PayPal, but I certainly didn't think business transactions acted as cash advances. Is that normal or did something weird happen with my purchase?

$20 isn't the end of the world but it seems kind of ridiculous that the fee is bigger than the actual amount of the purchase.

-Can anyone explain what exactly happened here, for my peace of mind?

-Is this a "live and learn" type situation, or is there anything I can do to contest with my bank or PP that this was a cash advance?

Scosglen on

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I would speak to your bank as I have never been charged a finance fee for a paypal transaction.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Google seems to indicate that it should be a percent, with a minimum; that's (presumably) why it's $20.

It shouldn't be activating on a purchase, though it may have something to do with it being a inter-country purchase.

evilmrhenry on