As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bulgy like a moose (exercise/BIGMAN thread)

GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Social Entropy++
I don't know what happened to the last thread and why Tube didn't respond to my PM so I'm just going to make this.

Gosh my muscles are sore. How are yours?

Edit: Here's the previous OP from the BIG MAN thread. Feel free to update your weights, goals, etc and I will update the OP. Either that or PM me. This is almost a verbatim copy of the OP from the last thread but if you think there's anything else that needs to be added, let me know.
psyck0 wrote:
Attention wimps! Please keep us updated on your weight and progress if you're in the anti-fatty program!

Thanks to Talonrazor for this well-written OP; some minor edits have been made.

I want to lose or gain weight!

So do a lot of us. Try to keep us updated regularly with your progress. Some of us are tracking our daily food intakes (here is a good site) and workout for each day and posting those as well.

Guys in the Anti-Fatty Program - Serious Dudes Only Please! This ain't the "I will stop eating McDonalds and lose weight" program
MistaCreepy - Current Weight: 235 Goal Weight: 210
Talonrazor - Current Weight: 213 Goal Weight: 210 - updated 2-2
Javen - Current Weight: 151 Goal Weight: 175
Bucketman - Current Weight: 324lbs Goal Weight: 280
redfenix - Current Weight: 219 Goal Weight: 180
Meissnerd - Current Weight: 220 Goal Weight: 210 - updated 1-21
emericana - Current Weight: 245 Goal Weight: 200 - updated 1-12
SageinaRage - Current Weight: 210 Goal Weight: 180
shorttimin' - Current Weight: 195 Goal Weight: 185
scudo - Current Weight: 157.5 Goal Weight: 175
psyck0 - Current Weight: 190 Goal Weight: 200
Tweaked Bat - Current weight: 187lbs Target weight: 198lbs
webguy20 - Weight 330, immediate goal, 290, long term 190

Well, how do I become a non-fatty!

This is good! Fatties are terrible! Here we are all going to be working hard to get non-fat. Some of us are in bulking stages, adding muscle so they make money selling tickets to the gun show. The rest of us fatties will be cutting, getting rid ourselves of the Michelin Man look. It's going to take hard work and dedication so if you come in here hoping that you'll shed weight by playing your Wii and eating less potato chips, get out. Note that most of this advice is aimed at people cutting.

The first step is diet. You need to not eat shit. Start a food log, either a journal or using FitDay.com or whatever. I like Fit Day's software because the website is shit but you can just as easily use Excel. Examine a typical day of eating calories. Now examine how much calories you burn during the day (you'll need to find a good metabolism counter online). Our goal is to get calories intake to be less than calories burned, to cut, or slightly more if you're bulking. Cutters probably want under 2500 calories a day; bulkers probably want closer to 3000, but calculate this for yourself!!

Now structure new eating habits. The best way to eat is six meals a day, smaller and healthy. Breakfast should be your largest meal, followed by your post-workout meal. Read this post on the bodybuilding.com's forums. It contains good guidelines for pre-. during and post-workout nutrition. Focus on eating lots of greens, fruit, nuts and seeds, lean meats and fish. Good sources of protein like grilled chicken breasts, eggs, fish, milk and mushrooms are vital. For snacking, try bananas or almonds. Get rid of any and all sodas and drink water instead. Drink a lot of water. A good thread for recipes is here.

If you're cutting, exercise is crucial. Do cardio at least 30 minutes, every day. The best is right when you wake up, before breakfast. For fat-burning, long duration, low intensity is the goal. Run, swim, row or bike are the four best ways to get your cardio. If you are super fatty or have bad knees, you might want to do low-impact like swimming, elliptical trainers or stationary rowing. And yes, you still need to weightlift. If you don't, you'll lose a lot of muscle mass which will make bulking even tougher. Even if you don't want to bulk or "look like Ronnie Coleman", you should still be lifting. Do Mark Ripptoe's program or Tube's program. Both are good for beginners and focus on overall strength.

Add a new sport that you've never played before. Play intermural soccer or basketball in college, join a city rec league or even go play baseball with your friends every week. Pick up some martials arts. Go rock climbing or hiking or an outdoors excursion that lasts several hours on the weekends.

CrossFit has a good summary of what "World Class Fitness" is:
Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat. Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean, squat, presses, C&J, and snatch. Similarly, master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups, dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds. Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast. Five or six days per week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy. Keep workouts short and intense. Regularly learn and play new sports.

If you need an example, here's what I'm doing

Talon's Plan
Overall Fitness Goal
Prep for Army National Guard Officer courses
Prep for Army Rangers entrance and Ranger School
Prep for Law Enforcement Academy
Body be a Landscape of Sex

Nutrition
- Breakfast (also pre-workout): Omelet at the college cafeteria or five eggs scrambled with glass of skim milk
- Post-workout: Salad with greens, spinach, mushrooms, egg whites, single grilled chicken breast, tomatoes, carrots, peas, no dressing. Two glasses of skim milk
- Lunch: Can of tuna, two pieces of 100% whole wheat bread.
- Supper: Small salad, chicken or tuna or turkey as meat, steamed veggies, glass of skim milk
- Dinner: Grilled chicken breast with cup of brown rice OR salmon patty between two whole wheat bread slices with brown rice
- Late-Night Snack: Handful of almonds, glass of skim milk
- Water consumption goal of a gallon a day
- One cheat meal during the weekend of whatever I want, like a small bowl of icecream or a shake or a single slice of pizza.

Fitness
- Weightlifting: Tube's workout plan, done MWF. I'll be swapping to a T/TH/Sa routine soon because I'll be taking Advanced Weightlifting through my University.
- Cardio: Every day, before breakfast, either swim for a half-hour to an hour or run for a half-hour. One or twice a week, run for an hour to an hour and half late during the evening.
- Sports: Play soccer for an intermural team once a week, do Brazilian Jui-Jitsu twice a week.
- Weekends: Do a bike ride or a long hike or rock climbing or some kind of excursion lasting at least two hours of intensive activity but also fun.

Every day I log whatever I've done on FitDay and I log my weights, reps and sets in my fitness journal. Every Sunday I weight myself and take body pictures, which I then post here and on my fitness journal.

Now, for bulking!

I want to become The Wook! Where do I start?

First: you may never be equals with this man.

Second:Follow Tube and The Wook's advice. They've been around and know what's best. The plan that Tube created is great for starters (see bottom of the page). A good place to start your weightlifting education is reading Mark Ripptoe's Starting Strength. This article is a good starter for new weightlifters. Read this for basic tips on nutrition. If you need help on certain excercise forms, try this website. The goal is lift hard, eat good nutrition and be very consistent. Pay attention to what Tube and wook recommend, they know what they are talking about. If you're brand new to weights, do Starting Strength to start your bulking. After 3-4 months, graduate to another plan like Tube's. Don't forget your protein shakes!

Other Resources

Bodybuilding.com - Good forum and community for fitness
T-nation.com - While aimed at the 'sweet kegger party bra' crowd, it's still packed with tons of super useful information
CrossFit.com - Not for some people, CrossFit is still probably the toughest fitness program out there
ExRx.net - A fantastic resource, this is a huge database of animated .gifs that show correct form to various exercises
FitDay.com - The website can be slow and some people hate it but I like to use the software to maintain an overview of my general fitness level.
*New since last thread*
Elitefts.com/ Another good strength and conditioning resource. Good articles.
NSF.org Dietary supplement guide. Products in these lists are guaranteed to contain everything listed on their labels in the quantities listed. Supps are notorious for fucking you over this way, so buy from a good company.

Tube's plan is at the bottom of the OP of the last thread. http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=80054

sierracrest.jpg
Gafoto on

• Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    flabby

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    atrophied

potatoe on
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I just did an easy four mile run

coach wants me to run a mile in under five minutes on thursday, though
    I hope I'm up to it

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I hope I'm up to it

I never run so I have zero idea of how fast that is so I'm going to assume that is something impressive.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Gafoto wrote: »

I hope I'm up to it

I never run so I have zero idea of how fast that is so I'm going to assume that is something impressive.
    you would probably "run" something like a 13-14 min mile

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    mnollmnoll Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My mile time is around six minutes last i checked

Not good enough to be competitive, but not too bad i think

mnoll on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Druhim wrote: »

I hope I'm up to it

you would probably "run" something like a 13-14 min mile

You're so generous Dru.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    ok, 10-11 min mile is probably more realistic if you're only running a single mile

but if you've never run before, yeah you're going to be pretty slow for a number of reasons even if you're in decent shape overall

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thread needs more testosterone. Here come the classics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ziOhn-rD7Y
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDxgFUvTJTE

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I have an odd amount of friends who are taking various physical fitness tests to get into police academies.

Turns out one of the requirements is a 1.5 mile run in under 12:30.

This one chick ended up turning in a 8:32 for her 1.5 mile. For someone who just started training to pass the test that's fucking fast.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    that is

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    She apparently ran a little in high school to stay in shape and jogs on occasion. More so after she had her first kid.

But 8:32 is pretty much a flat out run.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I used to run a mile in 6.

The last time I tried it, I think I came in a mile at 7 1/2, and I was fucking dying

The mile time was in 8th grade when I ran three miles everyday after I broke my arm playing football.

Edit: More importantly, the guy I was sharing a rack with on Wednesday weighed about 205, tops. I'd say more 195. He was repping 405 and making it look easy, touching parallel every time.

I thought you all should know that.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    losabiolosabio Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Full to bursting with synthol.

losabio on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dunno if you guys saw over in the other fitness thread (where they're a bunch of whiners and fatties, sorry H/A), but I tried that explosive workout thing from the T-Nation article I posted in the last thread.

It kicked my ass so very hard, I've never almost thrown up from a workout before but that one did it. Oddly, the hardest part for me was the number of jump squats and those split-jump things, my legs are still sore and I did it two days ago. Apparently I need to lift with my legs more.

EDIT: Oh and thanks for restarting this Gafoto, I was jonesing for a fitness fix.

Peen on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i was a bit sick but i went to lift anyway, cuz i felt good enough to lift, just not good enough to jiu jitsu (and i didn't want to cough on anyone)

yo, so, that explosive workout is cool, but anyone got like a good circuit that is similar to that but that i don't need weights for
    like a bodyweight circuit

cuz i need to start doing more than just lifting, well, i started doing a bit of cardio on off days, but i want to toss in a bodyweight circuit kinda thing at least 1 day a week

week 9 of me actually working out for first time ever officially ended today

i dunno if there is visible progress, but i certainly FEEL better

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    i dunno if there is visible progress, but i certainly FEEL better

I definitely noticed this when I started working out on a more regular basis. The change in diet also helped a load too.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thanks for restarting this! (and wonderful name.)
    Sooner or later I'm going to have to man up and do circuits, but a part of me just flops over and dies looking at that "explosive" workout.

In other news, good mornings make your back hurt in fascinating rainbow colors when you haven't done them before.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I don't know if it's my muscles that hurt or if I've fucked my forearms good and proper. With my newfound desire to teach myself some tricking I've been busting out a whole bunch of handstands, cartwheels, and jumpy things. So the handstands and cartwheels have apparently caused some nastiness in my arms.

Anyway, for this reason I avoided the relatively high-volume sets I've been doing lately and instead did singles for the first time in my deadlift.

I now know that I can lock out 110kg, although of course with less than perfect form.

Edit: Oh man I'm still not used to this embedded YouTube bit. My post looks all average now.

Solvent on
    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited April 2009
    I don't know what happened to the last thread and why Tube didn't respond to my PM

because tube has shit to do. make a proper op.

Tube on
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    the gym by my house closed down so i am kind of sol right now. i'm giving that 100 pushups program a go right now.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    man

i have a heavy cycle coming up for the next two months, starting in May.

but after that, I think I might give this a try

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/rebuild_yourself_with_complexes

the wook on
  • Options
    DachshundDachshund Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    1 week out of 3 weeks off from lifting due to surgery.

I can feel my body returning to its puny state.

Dachshund on
  • Options
    BearstranautBearstranaut Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ok so I'm pretty uninformed on the ways that exercise affects the body, and I hope one of you can answer my questions:

I know that when working out you are not building muscle but in fact tearing it down, and it is when they repair themselves that the growth happens - do your bones and joints also get stronger through exercise?

I know that protein is required for muscles to repair themselves, but are there other resources they also require - I heard someone throwing around the word "nitrogen" the other day and was too sheepish to ask what they were talking about.

Say I have full body soreness from the exercises I am doing - how long on average does it take muscles to repair themselves back to 110%?

Bearstranaut on
    You ever try and draw Falcor as a giant dong? No? It just ends up looking like a long cyclops.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    There are people here who have studied this in school, and I'm not one of them, so please correct me if I say something egregious:
    1. Yes. That's why exercise is recommended to prevent osteoporosis.
    2. I think nitrogen was mentioned because protein is full of nitrogen. Nitrogen is an element in most (all?) amino acids.
    3. For me, 3 days, sometimes more. If I were to rest until I couldn't feel any soreness, I'd be a lazy bum most of the week.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I am back in shape enough that I can run two miles in 18 minutes. Not great, but a damn sight better than I was this time December.

Also, I am looking damn fine nekkid. I am this close to having my six-pack back. Though my pecs and biceps could use some work.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    pm nekkid pix plz

the wook on
  • Options
    BearstranautBearstranaut Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    celandine wrote: »
    There are people here who have studied this in school, and I'm not one of them, so please correct me if I say something egregious:
    2. I think nitrogen was mentioned because protein is full of nitrogen. Nitrogen is an element in most (all?) amino acids.
    3. For me, 3 days, sometimes more. If I were to rest until I couldn't feel any soreness, I'd be a lazy bum most of the week.

Thanks...

I've been training for about a week now, and have only given myself a day off. I guess I should not do anything tomorrow or the next day eh?

Bearstranaut on
    You ever try and draw Falcor as a giant dong? No? It just ends up looking like a long cyclops.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Trade nekked pix with me? (jk)

celandine on
    I write about math here:
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    the wook wrote: »
    pm nekkid pix plz

Oh shit, looks like Fiz figured out Wook's password

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Trade nekked pix with me? (jk)

Nah, I can't really afford the wide-angle lens I'd need

What with my comically large penis and all

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So many many months ago I quit these forums after Tube yelled at me for benching more than I could squat and deadlift.

Just wanted to say I am now doing things the right way round. Squatting 92.5kgx5 at 67kg bw, while my bench is languishing in the high 70s.

I fixed my deadlift by not doing it any more. I have shit hamstring flexibility, so I switched to rack pulls set an extra six inches off the ground. Pulled 132.5kg last week (so close to 2xbw).

Haven't put on a pound since I started working out, but my lifts are still going up. Which is good because I quite like seeing abs in the mirror, and don't want to do anything that might scare them away.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Thanks...

I've been training for about a week now, and have only given myself a day off. I guess I should not do anything tomorrow or the next day eh?

you need at least one day off a week. depending on the intensity of your workouts, more may be useful.

also, to go into your questions in more detail.

Working under load increases bone mineral density, thereby strengthening your skeletal structure. assuming proper form, weight training also increases tendon and ligament strength, to an extent. however, if you don't balance your training, strength imbalances around a joint can decrease the stability of the joint.

Nitrogen is in every amino acid. That's by definition. The name refers to the amine group, which is based around nitrogen. Nitrogen is also talked about in terms of nitrogen balance: nitrogen introduced to the body minus nitrogen excreted from the body. While I don't know of any way to actually measure that, the important thing to note is that the body will only synthesize new muscle tissue when it's in positive nitrogen balance.

as for other absolute requirements for muscle growth, there are none. a healthy diet with complex carbs, healthy fats, and a good amount of protein is all that's necessary for muscle growth. there are certain things you can add that will accelerate the process, but none of them are essential.

Soreness and muscle damage are not directly related. I can't actually tell you the exact cause of soreness, but it usually correlated with performing new exercises or just beginning working out in general. To actually answer the question, you generally want to wait at least 48 hours before you work the same muscle group again. If you're working at a higher intensity, that can be extended to 72 hours or longer.

the wook on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So many many months ago I quit these forums after Tube yelled at me for benching more than I could squat and deadlift.

Just wanted to say I am now doing things the right way round. Squatting 92.5kgx5 at 67kg bw, while my bench is languishing in the high 70s.

I fixed my deadlift by not doing it any more. I have shit hamstring flexibility, so I switched to rack pulls set an extra six inches off the ground. Pulled 132.5kg last week (so close to 2xbw).

Haven't put on a pound since I started working out, but my lifts are still going up. Which is good because I quite like seeing abs in the mirror, and don't want to do anything that might scare them away.

dude if you measure shit in pounds your numbers will skyrocket

132.5 metric bulk units is a pretty good deadlift gold star.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

That's not really fixing them, is it? You just changed to a different exercise or do you mean that now you have the hamstring flexibility to do deadlifts properly (because of the rackpulls?)

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think I'm going to have to come up with a new routine. The push/pull workouts didn't work out, I don't think. I think there were too many lifts that were too similar to each other on the same day.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    BraincowBraincow Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I flipped some huge tires down two lengths of a football field today. It was tiring.

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    bodyweight circuit bodyweight circuit for mah conditionings
    i needs it
    but i dno what to do

crap, wait, DL gave me some info last thread maybe i can find it...

i work better with a routine someone gives me though than trying to figure one out on my own. this is why the faggot program has worked for me. no thinking. just doing.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

That's not really fixing them, is it? You just changed to a different exercise or do you mean that now you have the hamstring flexibility to do deadlifts properly (because of the rackpulls?)

I don't hate deadlift day anymore, so I consider that pretty fixed :P

Even if I'm not doing the full range of motion any more (at least not on a regular basis. I do still occasionally pick shit up of the floor), at least I'm working the same muscle groups at decent weights.

...As far as I know.

Gonna need some straps soon. My dainty fingers are beginning to struggle.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm switching to rack pulls too for a month or so, having been told by one too many burly strangers that my deadlift form was going to wreck my back, and not having been able to get it right. I'm also doing good mornings because my lower back is lousy (who am I kidding? all of me is lousy) and actually doing hip mobility exercises for once. Hope it'll work.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
This discussion has been closed.