As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dollhouse] S1 DVD OUT NOW [Mark post season 1/DVD spoilers]

SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
The show has been renewed - but buy these DVDs anyway. Joss will know if you don't...
Do your part by preordering Season 1 on DVD or Blu-Ray.

op shamelessly stolen from OremLK
dollhousepromo500qm7.jpg

What is it?

If the words "Joss Whedon's new show" don't spark your interest, I don't even know what to do with you.

Sigh. Fine. Dollhouse is a new one-hour drama. It is a near-future science fiction show about "actives", people who are blank slates living in a futuristic dormitory/laboratory (the Dollhouse), where they wait to be programmed with memories and sent on secret missions. Eliza Dushku (Faith in Buffy) plays as Echo, a doll whose personality begins to emerge despite the best efforts of her handlers.

Other actors of interest include Tahmoh Penikett (Helo in BSG), who plays a cop trying to discover the truth about the Dollhouse, and Amy Acker (Fred in Angel), a doctor who looks after the the actives.

Wait, Fox? Haven't they shoved their sandpaper covered dicks in Joss's ass like seven times now?

Yes, Joss said "never again". But Eliza Dushku had an exclusive development contract with Fox, and the 2 had the idea together. It was either on Fox, or no show. Hell, Fox even promised to air every episode before canceling it, though they've already broken that promise

When does it come on?

In case you're blind and missed that big honking poster, Dollhouse premiered on February 13th and will play on Fridays at 9pm ET/8pm CST. This is known as the "death slot" and has killed about a dozen science fiction shows in the last fifteen years, including Firefly. So if you happen to have a Nielsen box, do us a favor and leave it running, will you?

SaraLuna on

• Options
    edited April 2009
    Previously on [the dollhouse thread]:

-Felicia Day is in the last episode ( :D ), but Fox won't be airing it ( D: )

-Everyone insists that "It isn't canceled yet"

-Joss's unbutchered original pilot (Echo) is confirmed to be on the DVD

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    After watching the episode from Apr. 10th, I am happy to see my suspicion that Dr. Saunder's hypothesis was not quite correct.
    I did not think they would kibosh Echo's progression that quickly or easily. I am a little suspect of Dewitt's motivation for letting Echo run loose with Topher keeping an eye on her. It is was hinted really heavily (Dominic) that this would backfire. They could learn a lot from Echo though. Ho hum. The interview with Whedon from Harvard is a bit depressing though. Maybe we do not get to find out.

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I liked how it only took a week for Detective Helo to become
    essentially a raving conspiracy theorist, complete with walls covered with maps/cliipings/etc. he'd be insane if it wasn't all true.

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    essentially a raving conspiracy theorist, complete with walls covered with maps/cliipings/etc. he'd be insane if it wasn't all true.

That is something that crossed my mind. There is no references to know how long passes in DollhouseLand between episodes. It would be nice to know sometimes.

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Well he said that he didn't expect Mellie to be back so soon. I'd say that would put it at 2 weeks at the most, probably less.

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It probably won't help anything, but maybe the OP can include a sentence or two about how this was Eliza Dushku's production deal with Fox and she brought Joss Whedon in (not vice versa), so we don't have to go through the "WHY DID JOSS RETURN TO FOX?!?" question every 5 pages.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It probably won't help anything, but maybe the OP can include a sentence or two about how this was Eliza Dushku's production deal with Fox and she brought Joss Whedon in (not vice versa), so we don't have to go through the "WHY DID JOSS RETURN TO FOX?!?" question every 5 pages.

done

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Why does no one put their crazy conspiracy shit on a laptop?

I mean I know its a visual device to show how craaaaaazy obsessed such people are, but still.... time marches on.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Kipling217 wrote: »

I mean I know its a visual device to show how craaaaaazy obsessed such people are, but still.... time marches on.

Spending long hours drinking liquor and staring at a laptop screen isn't nearly as inspirational as staring at a cool montage on the wall. It's just hard to step back and get the same kind of perspective.

That and it's a visual device, of course.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    All I know is that when I go crazy I am not going to put newspaper clippings on my wall.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    All I know is that when I go crazy I am not going to put newspaper clippings on my wall.

I am. It's always looked like fun.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Well its a good visual device but kind obsolete these days. Why if someone came into my house they would never discover my secret obssesion with .... Lolcats, yeah lolcats, thats the ticket.

Kipling217 on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

that and the ol' Torgo's Executive Powder factor too

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    BlazeFire wrote: »

That is something that crossed my mind. There is no references to know how long passes in DollhouseLand between episodes. It would be nice to know sometimes.

One thing I noticed was that the first episode had the apparent induction of Sierra into the Dollhouse, and then episode 8 had that guy insinuating that he had bought her multiple times. Given how the Dollhouse seems to impose downtime on Dolls in between engagements and such, it seems like at least a few months passed between that first episode and episode 8.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Have they said specifically that anyone can become a doll if they're zapped in the chair? I know Echos implied it with the black guy, but it could have just been coincidence that he was viable. But in the same episode they imply that Caroline had particularly stand-out indicators even before she was captured.

The idea that only certain people have the brain chemistry, disposition, etc. to be made dolls would clear up a lot of plot holes.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    EmonkEmonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Well its a good visual device but kind obsolete these days.

Excuse me. There is someone here who would like to have a word with you.
    ep52_freamon_252.jpg

Emonk on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Emonk wrote: »

ep52_freamon_252.jpg

I have no idea who that is and why thats relevant.

Kipling217 on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »

Spending long hours drinking liquor and staring at a laptop screen isn't nearly as inspirational as staring at a cool montage on the wall. It's just hard to step back and get the same kind of perspective.

That and it's a visual device, of course.

To be fair to the show, he had printed documents. He probably couldn't get them on his laptop. Printed was how they came, and that's it.

Echo being sent on engagements so close to home? Fishy.

But Ballard pinning up his investigation work on the wall isn't that unbelievable at all.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    zerg rush wrote: »
    Have they said specifically that anyone can become a doll if they're zapped in the chair? I know Echos implied it with the black guy, but it could have just been coincidence that he was viable. But in the same episode they imply that Caroline had particularly stand-out indicators even before she was captured.

The idea that only certain people have the brain chemistry, disposition, etc. to be made dolls would clear up a lot of plot holes.

What plot holes?

And I don't think they were talking about stand out "neural" indicators. I think they were talking about behavioral or personality indicators. Indicators to indicate her inclination to acquiesce to the Dollhouse's proposition.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    And I don't think they were talking about stand out "neural" indicators. I think they were talking about behavioral or personality indicators. Indicators to indicate her inclination to acquiesce to the Dollhouse's proposition.
    Maybe they convinced her that if they could experiment on her they wouldn't have to experiment on some puppies.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    More like grief for getting her boyfriend killed, as well as maybe a bit of desperation for all the legal trouble, and then maybe just a little curiosity for unknown big things.

Or puppies, yeah. Probably puppies. In the name of "science."

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

ep52_freamon_252.jpg

I have no idea who that is and why thats relevant.

Your life is poorer for that.

Emonk on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    so wait, I've been out of the loop a bit here. Has the show been cancelled? I've just started really getting into it now.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »
    so wait, I've been out of the loop a bit here. Has the show been cancelled? I've just started really getting into it now.

Yep. They announced it this morning.
    Not really.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Not really.

Damn you.

yhst-34640480252896_2046_7624277

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Not really.

That was a dick move. :P

area on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Back on the topic of recruitment, I'd imagine that they can't go with just anyone because physical elements play a part as well as the mind. I don't think you could undo a chemical imbalance for instance just by changing the mind, nor can you hire people with potential heart issues, joint issues or other current or probably physical ailments which would impair their ability to function over 5 years.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

ep52_freamon_252.jpg

I'm wondering how much overlap there is between your typical Dollhouse fan and someone who watches the Wire. I know there's a considerable amount of overlap between Battlestar Galactica and The Wire, but the circle of influence when it comes to Dollhouse seems to encompass mostly other Whedon shows and not much else.

But if Freamon and Sydnor were on this case, the Dollhouse would have been completely compromised and McNulty probably would have had sex with half the building. Greggs might have hit the other half. And Bunk would have been the only one to actually do any of the paperwork.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

No, no. See, there are levels to this.

Step 1) Put clippings of disparate media on the wall.
    Not crazy. Not even weird. Probably either a detective or working on a Secret Plan.

Step 2) Add hand-written notes, draw lines between items, or write/draw on the media.
    Maybe obsessed at this point but not definitely crazy yet. Can be normal provided that you have a good reason for all this (eg: avenging your wrongful imprisonment, getting a computer out of your head, etc.).

Step 3) Pushpins and yarn instead of lines.
    Okay, you're really pushing it at this point. As long as the conspiracy to (use humans as soulless robot prostitutes/give people super powers for no obvious reason and then cover it up) is real, you're okay and it's only people who don't understand what's really going on that label you crazy.

Step 4) Lots of yarn, maybe color-coded with many-lined knots or things tied to it.
    Sorry. You're nuts.

Obviously step 1 can be carried out on a laptop and often is. Step 2 is a little harder, but sometimes you do get people doing their drawing-lines-between-stuff digitally. Once you hit the yarn stage, though, it's gotta be on a wall. Or several walls, ideally. I think it's something about the specific chemical imbalance that leads to obsessive, delusional behavior that also gives you a compulsion to buy yarn.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

ep52_freamon_252.jpg

I'm wondering how much overlap there is between your typical Dollhouse fan and someone who watches the Wire. I know there's a considerable amount of overlap between Battlestar Galactica and The Wire, but the circle of influence when it comes to Dollhouse seems to encompass mostly other Whedon shows and not much else.

But if Freamon and Sydnor were on this case, the Dollhouse would have been completely compromised and McNulty probably would have had sex with half the building. Greggs might have hit the other half. And Bunk would have been the only one to actually do any of the paperwork. And then the entire investigation would've been canned because one of their superiors is a Dollhouse client, and they'd all go get wasted.

Cantide on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Better call. But which superior?

I'm guessing Rawls. And as to which doll he purchased? The choice is clear.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Knowing The Wire? All of them. Except Carcetti, of course. He'd find out about the place and be horrified, until his staff told him about massive donations the Dollhouse gave to his campaign and/or special discounts for government officials.

Cantide on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    They should do a spinoff, something like Dollhouse: Baltimore, and just put Omar's imprint into a new person every week.

I would totally watch this show. Religiously.

I always thought they were going to make a plot out of the whole "Rawls is gay" thing, but nothing ever came of it.

Emonk on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    That was part of the beauty, the fact they just chucked it in there and moved on.

I personally think there should be a Wire prequel set in the South, where Omar and Lafayette from True Blood run a kitchen and fight werewolves.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

What plot holes?

I'm referring to a number of things.

Picking up people locally. If it's a hard to find them, then that means they can't just go and kidnap someone on the east coast, you'd need an actual presence and contacts in the medical field to find viable candidates.
    Why everyone on the show isn't a doll. It's much safer to just reprogram everybody, and I don't imagine Dewitt would have any moral scruples about that. There should be a reason Ballard or the dollhouse employees haven't been wiped and rebuilt.
    Treating the dolls as special. The dolls are all treated as considerable assets and it makes no sense if anyone can be a doll just by 10 minutes with the chair.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    That was part of the beauty, the fact they just chucked it in there and moved on.

I personally think there should be a Wire prequel set in the South, where Omar and Lafayette from True Blood run a kitchen and fight werewolves.

You are a genius. A goddamned genius.

Emonk on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What plot holes?

Picking up people locally. If it's a hard to find them, then that means they can't just go and kidnap someone on the east coast, you'd need an actual presence and contacts in the medical field to find viable candidates.
    Why everyone on the show isn't a doll. It's much safer to just reprogram everybody, and I don't imagine Dewitt would have any moral scruples about that. There should be a reason Ballard or the dollhouse employees haven't been wiped and rebuilt.
    Treating the dolls as special. The dolls are all treated as considerable assets and it makes no sense if anyone can be a doll just by 10 minutes with the chair.

Every one of those concerns are things the show has pretty much addressed already.

Rossum, the company that owns the Dollhouses is a medical research and development company. Besides that, there are Dollhouses all over the world, presumably including the East Coast of North America. They've never said so, but I can't imagine there's anything keeping them from shuffling Dolls between Houses if there is a need.

The show has mentioned a few times that Dolls need downtime between engagements and also that putting the same imprint on one Doll too often is not good for their mental stability. Besides that, Dolls are limited in their decision-making capabilities. One of the things that is apparently unique about Echo is her ability to think outside her mission parameters.

Perhaps anyone can be a doll, but certain Dolls are apparently better than others. Besides that, a living person is a valuable asset even if they are just programmed personalities. They must spent an obscene amount of cash just buying their specially fitted wardrobes. If they were blasé about Dolls being killed "in the line of duty", as it were, they'd be horrible businesspeople in addition to already being pretty terrible people in general.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What plot holes?

Every one of those concerns are things the show has pretty much addressed already.

Rossum, the company that owns the Dollhouses is a medical research and development company. Besides that, there are Dollhouses all over the world, presumably including the East Coast of North America. They've never said so, but I can't imagine there's anything keeping them from shuffling Dolls between Houses if there is a need.

The show has mentioned a few times that Dolls need downtime between engagements and also that putting the same imprint on one Doll too often is not good for their mental stability. Besides that, Dolls are limited in their decision-making capabilities. One of the things that is apparently unique about Echo is her ability to think outside her mission parameters.

Perhaps anyone can be a doll, but certain Dolls are apparently better than others. Besides that, a living person is a valuable asset even if they are just programmed personalities. They must spent an obscene amount of cash just buying their specially fitted wardrobes. If they were blasé about Dolls being killed "in the line of duty", as it were, they'd be horrible businesspeople in addition to already being pretty terrible people in general.

Additionally, one can not be a Doll "after 10 minutes in a chair." Sierra was conditioned for it would seem a non-trivial amount of time. The corrupt grad student from Echoes has not made an appearance in the Dollhouse and this could very well be due to a conditioning period. There's no strong evidence to believe that one can become an Active/Doll with little investment in time and treasure.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Why everyone on the show isn't a doll. It's much safer to just reprogram everybody
    And then there was November being like half a step away from murdering everyone in the entire Dollhouse.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Plus there is the aspect where every doll has a handler since the dolls can't make decisions outside of their programming. They need guidance by normal people.

Magell on
This discussion has been closed.