As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Land of the Dead Beckons Us! (Resubscribe NOW!)

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2009
    Aww, did the poor liddle Chosen in the front line have a dagger tossed at him from some random order git? What's that, it hurts only having 99% health and you haul ass back to the rear healer line? Get the fuck back there!

Gah. Tanks need to start tanking. I am healing you, goddamnit!

Echo on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    darkmayo wrote: »
    We have all had those times where you are just getting raped at a defended keep you arent killing defenders, cant get a ram up etc... those times you leave and go else where and make sure your postern guards arent morons.
    Postern defense is so zone dependent, though... with some keeps you can see players from a mile away and have time to hunt them down and kill them. With others you first need a 90 second jog aaaaaaaaall the way around the keep, only for the postern door to explode into an MDPS rape party that kills you before running back inside when their health drops below 80%. Unless you have a healer on postern (snrk... AHAHAHAHA, oooh, I kill me) you're now up for a jog.

Glal on
  • McCow42McCow42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    We have all had those times where you are just getting raped at a defended keep you arent killing defenders, cant get a ram up etc... those times you leave and go else where and make sure your postern guards arent morons.
    Postern defense is so zone dependent, though... with some keeps you can see players from a mile away and have time to hunt them down and kill them. With others you first need a 90 second jog aaaaaaaaall the way around the keep, only for the postern door to explode into an MDPS rape party that kills you before running back inside when their health drops below 80%. Unless you have a healer on postern (snrk... AHAHAHAHA, oooh, I kill me) you're now up for a jog.

Man, as a healer, a postern/choke point defence where there are people there to attack is like a renown fountain. Every unique individual getting hit is more RP's for me. It's the first place I run to with my group.

McCow42 on
  • HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    only for the postern door to explode into an MDPS rape party that kills you before running back inside when their health drops below 80%.

Oddly enough, I've had the opposite happen when we've been on the ground floor of a keep. You'll have a handfull of rdps (BWs) and mdps (WHs) pop inside from outside. BW spams Scorched Earth, Fire Cage, etc. and the WH starts killing healers and casters. Pop out if it gets heavy on them. We usually drop the WH, sometimes the BW but not always.

It's irritating as fuck. It also works pretty well.

I also think that if they're going to fix anything on keeps, they should nerf the spawn time for the npc bottom floor defenders. The ones on the keep floor spawn too fast, at least in my opinion. It's a pain to have to divert heals to some poor shaman who just ran inside and is now being hit by all the npcs after he had a chunk of health taken out of him by the oil.

Probably not a priority though.

Might just be me.

fuck it

Havelock on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    Aww, did the poor liddle Chosen in the front line have a dagger tossed at him from some random order git? What's that, it hurts only having 99% health and you haul ass back to the rear healer line? Get the fuck back there!

Gah. Tanks need to start tanking. I am healing you, goddamnit!

Tank Rule #1

If you're not almost dead you're doing it wrong.

Tank Rule #2

If you're almost dead thank your healers.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited April 2009
    Joined six guys in a PQ.

They already had a zealot that proceeded to whine about how I'd "steal his loot", and somehow convinced the others to boot me.

So I tagged along after them, healing them anyway and killing shit, and ended up walking away with the only gold bag.

I took joy in telling that zealot how I took the money since the chest piece was crap.

Echo on
    edited April 2009
    Oh, idiots. Where would we be without?

'Course, I'm retarded as well. I spent a chunk of the afternoon reading various WA and official board Chosen threads in hopes I'd get some spec ideas. I just hope the dumb isn't *too* contagious.

Seriously though... single target DPS is the only way to successfully tank in RvR? What?

edit: Any thoughts on this build? I'd combine it with Toughness, Weapon Skill, and Willpower in that order. The intent would be to stack as much Parry, Block, and Disrupt chance as possible (along with secondary effects based on those), with really irritating harrassment stuff (disorient, Quake, Petrify) and enough Toughness to not die at all.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Single target dps is one of the ways to tank in RvR. Other than that, you can buff/debuff and CC. My swordmaster can do the first, but not the 2 latter options unfortunately, but he can do the first pretty well. Other tanks have different abilities, but on the forums the tanks with loads of CC and buff/debuffs are very jealous of dps and those with dps are jealous of other's CC and de/buffs.

Chosen want a SM's dps.
    SMs want the BO's CC
    BO's want to be IBs
    IBs want everyone to love them.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • narv107narv107 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    They're complaining because their precious AOE two hander ability now has a 5 second cooldown. 500 damage every 5 seconds is only 100 DPS so it's a crap ability. They neglect to note that it is 100 DPS per target.

I'm planning on going heavy Discord with some Dread to improve Dreadful Agony. My plan is to run Dreadful Agony, Discordant Instability, and either Discordant Turbulence or Corrupting Retribution depending on the situation. I used to also consider Discordant Fluctuation as well but I've discovered recently that it doesn't trigger 99% of the time.

This is my planned build
    http://www.wardb.com/career.aspx?id=13#5:0:3:8:13:672:25:8368:8364:8358:8354::::8371:607:8373:613

narv107 on
    edited April 2009
    So, tell me a bit about zealotry.

So far it feels like the direct heals are mostly crap -- I hardly ever use Flash of Chaos. If it's an oshit moment I shield the target with Veil of Chaos, do a quick initial heal with Dark Medicine, throw Tzeentch's Cordial and then another Dark Medicine, and maybe an Elixir of Dark Blessings if I'm not being punched in the face.

I'm beelining for the Ritual of Superiority in the Witchcraft tree right now. At the moment I'm speculating a bit about this build -- two Rituals to choose from as needed, and both AoE and HoT heals.

Chaotic Agitation sounds really fun, and will probably make my raven mark a priority to remove. :P

Echo on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So, tell me a bit about zealotry.

So far it feels like the direct heals are mostly crap -- I hardly ever use Flash of Chaos. If it's an oshit moment I shield the target with Veil of Chaos, do a quick initial heal with Dark Medicine, throw Tzeentch's Cordial and then another Dark Medicine, and maybe an Elixir of Dark Blessings if I'm not being punched in the face.

I'm beelining for the Ritual of Superiority in the Witchcraft tree right now. At the moment I'm speculating a bit about this build -- two Rituals to choose from as needed, and both AoE and HoT heals.

Chaotic Agitation sounds really fun, and will probably make my raven mark a priority to remove. :P

I take a slightly different strategy. I really hate Dark Medicine. The HoT is deceptively bad, and I find it to be relatively inefficient overall especially when you consider AP cost (which I believe is average for that spell).

Basically, for general healing, I just spam the cast AOE heal and throw cordials on anyone I see taking hits. If someone is getting pounded, I do Flash, Shield, Flash, Cordial. At that point, I make a snap judgement based on what class they are and whats hitting them.

It's either a Morale Heal, the nuke (which gets way, way better once you get to T3 in terms of cast time v. healing power), or I just spam more AOE heal (and maybe pepper in an LA). If they aren't in your group then all you can do is Morale Heal or nuke (and LA for show but it's not strong enough to keep up a non-tank).

Flash is really not that bad of a spell. When you stack Willpower I think it's got a better HPS than Dark Medicine because you don't have a cast bar to deal with (therefore fewer lag issues and fewer interrupt issues). The Flash's get you out of the woods with a stable target, then you throw on the Cordial. Once the cordial is up, then you can keep up anything but a robe wearer using the nuke.

Jasconius on
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, Flash will probably get better later. Right now (rank 19) it heals for 200ish, which is what Dark Medicine does, and then DM does another 60-70 per tick for 3 seconds.

At the moment I really love Dark Medicine. I shield, do a DM, toss another heal or two, and by that time DM is done and I can throw a new one.

Echo on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    At 24ish, my Flash is up to 370 noncrit in T3 scenarios.

Once you get the 2 set bonus in the tier 2 gear you see a big WP jump, add to that the big WP tactic and you get some crazy numbers.

My nuke is approaching 2k crits.

*edit* but you don't have the AOE heal yet. Once you get that, your approach to healing will change pretty substantially, because the ability is absurdly overpowered and is pretty much your #2 spell next to Cordial.

Jasconius on
    edited April 2009
    narv107 wrote: »
    They're complaining because their precious AOE two hander ability now has a 5 second cooldown. 500 damage every 5 seconds is only 100 DPS so it's a crap ability. They neglect to note that it is 100 DPS per target.

I'm planning on going heavy Discord with some Dread to improve Dreadful Agony. My plan is to run Dreadful Agony, Discordant Instability, and either Discordant Turbulence or Corrupting Retribution depending on the situation. I used to also consider Discordant Fluctuation as well but I've discovered recently that it doesn't trigger 99% of the time.

This is my planned build
    http://www.wardb.com/career.aspx?id=13#5:0:3:8:13:672:25:8368:8364:8358:8354::::8371:607:8373:613

Close to what I'm running now, minus the Corruption line and Tainted Wound. That's an odd one too; I often eye it with curiosity as it seems interesting; jump in the back lines or in front of your healers, drop Turbulence, Quake, and tag each attacker/defender with Seeping Wounds.

Conventional forum wisdom says it's not worth it (300 damage is kind of crap) but combined with Turbulence I think it could be pretty effective, especially for that last bit of health. Drop your Blast Wave and a whole chunk of attackers could drop.

I think I've convinced myself to try it now.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    Wot's dat? A patch tomorrow, ya say?

READ DA NOTEZ, GIT.

Event next week, too!

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I play a Chosen, and I'm not seeing the fear over the cooldown on Rending Blade. Run into a group, hit RB, mix in some Tooth of Tzen and Ravage, then do it again, while twisting DTerror, DA, and DTurb

I like tanking an all, and will protect the healers the best I can, but I usually find myself at the front on pushes and in keep sieges/defense

I'm only 21/21 now, think this build would work?

Until I hit 40 though I'm probably just going to go up Discord, take Quake and ravage some people with that before switching over to Dread around 30 or so and getting those prime offensive abilities

edit:
    haven't really looked too hard into it, but it would probably come out looking like this

http://www.wardb.com/career.aspx?id=13#15:8232:0:0:6:32:25:::8358:8361::::8371:607:8373:613

static toughness, strength and wounds and go at it

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • ScribemiteScribemite Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Wot's dat? A patch tomorrow, ya say?

READ DA NOTEZ, GIT.

Event next week, too!

Maaan, I've got 10% left of download to go for the current patch for my trial. I guess I'll be downloading some more tomorrow. Do you know what time Mythic will make the patch live?

Scribemite on
  • KG3000KG3000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wonder if this is why I couldn't see RoFs half the damn time.

* Fixed a bug that was causing certain ground-targeted spells to not display their graphics.

This isn't as bad as I expected, but there will probably be a ton of bitching still.

* Lotsa Choppin': This ability has been changed to a Cone area of effect that will only hit targets in front and on the sides of the Choppa. Due to this change this ability will no longer require a target to activate.

Not sure if this helps or not, won't they just put a WP in each group then?

* Cleansing Power: This Tactic has been changed. It will now cause Purify to remove a Curse or Hex from everyone in the target's group.

KG3000 on
    What?
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "When active zones are captured in Tier 4, all players in the zone are rewarded Renown based on their Rank
    Renown, Influence, and Experience rewards for capturing Keeps and Battlefield Objectives have been reduced by 35%"

Blech. Zone locks are so infrequent on my server, I'd say T4 renown/inf rates just got nerfed by ~25% overall.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    Any sane person would have nerfed the AoE healing by now.

It's not even mastery-unique: ANY spec of these classes can slap on an off-hand with appropriate tactics and churn out anywhere from decent to absurd healing.

We have Tier 2 matches where the top healer has 100,000+ healing. It's like the inverse of BWs before 1.1.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    yeah, it's a bit crazy.

tyrannus on
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think it might change a bit with 1.2.1 now that cast times are ACTUALLY what they say and not time + 2 seconds. This might make single target healing viable. but yeah dok/wp group heals need to be cut by about 20%

ghost_master2000 on
    edited April 2009
    Well, here's hoping the corpse-priority-on-loot change works this time. 'Cause that was promised in 1.2 already. :P

Glal on
  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Incoming rant, duck and cover.

My problem is that it seems the majority of people are combat fearing cowards. They practically wet themselves at the thought of a "fair" fight. Fair means they have just enough of an advantage to win every time. Plus some people. Plus their buddies. People want guaranteed wins because for some reason they are utterly terrified of dying.

Its funny when you are at the right place, with just the right view, and get to watch your teams morale shatter. Things are going fine, everyone is mixing things up, and then bam a tank slips through, or a healer panics. He backs up. So the people around him back up. The enemy sees your forces back up and moves forward. Bam its over, your entire force is now running for god knows what because if they just stood and died they would get back to the warcamp faster.

I blame incompetent ranged attackers, hell i blame them for a lot of things. For instance if we are trying to defend a flag. Hell it could be anything. Ideally you want the ranged sitting on the flag, shooting anyone who comes within max range. You do not need to be at max range away from the flag, behind a tree, as close to our spawn point as you can get. We need to stopping people getting to the flag, not running away as soon as you notice a couple of our guys are down.

You know what else i blame them for, our inability to take objectives. See if we are attacking a flag. The last thing we need is our ranged sitting back and absolute max range hitting the tanks that our tanks are trying to push through. We need you hitting their ranged and healers. If all you can target is enemy tanks, move the fuck up. Get as close to the flag as you can and bombard the hell our of their ranged. They will back up. Why? Because people in these games are fundamentally fucking cowards. I know the scary tank has a better shot of beating on you, but that is your defensive tanks/healers job to solve. Your job is to blow the living hell out of their ranged damage.

But your sick of feeding them honor? After death number 5 you are worthless. Some might argue you are worthless before. Take the god damn objective. If they have you outskilled, ournumbered, or your team is just composed of idiots that does not mean you stop trying. Think of something else. Flank the fuckers. Get some people in their back lines.

And by the 12 breasted 4 headed dark gods that hold sway of the the forgotten abyss where common sense was banished to if a bunch of casters are AOEING right in front of where you leave the spawn try going either left or right. Especially in battle for praag and Grovard Caverns. There are at least 3 ways to leave the spawn, two of them are not currently covered in AOEs. So why the fuck are we rushing headlong into the aoe?

/Rant off.

Detharin on
    edited April 2009
    Didn't they change it so that renown from repeatedly killed players doesn't deteriorate quite so rapidly?

Glal on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Avynte wrote: »
    So order took down the big TZ on Eltharion.

I sure am glad that I don't play on the Euro servers.

Fast forward to about 1:30 to sum up the fight.

Hahaha

In the middle of watching the video of the Altdorf king fight I muttered to myself "Ugh, queue Benny fucking Hill music"

That's perfect :lol:

HappylilElf on
  • rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So, leveling an engineer with my friend runepriest. It's pretty much domination!

Is lightning rod bugged like mines? Sometimes it never does the lightning animation and does no damage. I have to drop the stuff in a certain order it seems. Usually turret first, then rod. But it sucks to waste that build time to have it do nothing.

Also mines hardly ever go off... I hope they fix that.

Spy sappin my sent.... er... Lightning rod!

rfalias on
  • manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    KG3000 wrote: »

* Lotsa Choppin': This ability has been changed to a Cone area of effect that will only hit targets in front and on the sides of the Choppa. Due to this change this ability will no longer require a target to activate.

Not sure if this helps or not, won't they just put a WP in each group then?

* Cleansing Power: This Tactic has been changed. It will now cause Purify to remove a Curse or Hex from everyone in the target's group.

choppaz can bitch all they want about that change. not only do choppaz and slayers top most of the damage charts with their faceroll flurry spam but my poor WH can't even kill melee dps who are focussed on someone else via the medium of stitching them repeatedly in the back as i actually get dpsed down as collateral damage. its making me halfway obsolete :(

the cleansing power change is a start. previously WPs didn't even need to take a break from group heal spam to prevent any curses from sticking. purify has a 5s cooldown and they will actually need to go out of their way to do it

manji on
    edited April 2009
    I hope the choppa changes tones them down a little. They can spam that one ability and just destroy everyone around them. Multiple choppas in a group? Don't even bother.

rfalias on
  • SherlokSherlok Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    manji wrote:
    the cleansing power change is a start. previously WPs didn't even need to take a break from group heal spam to prevent any curses from sticking. purify has a 5s cooldown and they will actually need to go out of their way to do it

So previously their group clense was attached to a heal? I'm genuinely curious I know nothing of that class.

So any shamans/AM respeccing from healbot to less healbot? The new Shrug it off seems pretty tasty, but I wouldn't mind actually killing a player that's equal in level.

Edit: It also looks like they're trying reaaaaaly hard to get people on rams.

2x door hp, but rams do 2x the damage + oil resist potions from ordinance + reduced oil damage and knockback immunity on the ram.

Sherlok on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    hazywater wrote: »
    Single target dps is one of the ways to tank in RvR. Other than that, you can buff/debuff and CC. My swordmaster can do the first, but not the 2 latter options unfortunately, but he can do the first pretty well. Other tanks have different abilities, but on the forums the tanks with loads of CC and buff/debuffs are very jealous of dps and those with dps are jealous of other's CC and de/buffs.

Chosen want a SM's dps.
    SMs want the BO's CC
    BO's want to be IBs

and nobody wants blackguards :P

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • KG3000KG3000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I always assumed that the choppa AoE was a cone, and positioned myself accordingly so the changes don't bother me.

As for the WP changes, if they actually have to think about getting rid of the curses and what not I guess it's a step forward. Still seems too easy to get rid of though.

KG3000 on
    What?
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Chosen want a SM's dps.
    SMs want the BO's CC
    BO's want to be IBs

I think it's the only class isn't getting love/nerf this patch.

I wish they would just make the armor cooler so I don't feel stupid for not rolling a Chosen.

chasehatesbears on
    edited April 2009

Chosen want a SM's dps.
    SMs want the BO's CC
    BO's want to be IBs

Engineer too.

rfalias on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    rfalias wrote: »
    I hope the choppa changes tones them down a little. They can spam that one ability and just destroy everyone around them. Multiple choppas in a group? Don't even bother.

I have been playing my choppa thinking that the attack inquestion was a cone based attack, so i dont think it will effect me as much. Also i would agree slayers and choppas should see a bit of a nerf but I don't think its enough to make them unenjoyable.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

edited April 2009
    Well I played a monstro marauder for a long time so to me it was obvious when it pulled a mob behind me.
    Also as a witch hunter, its impossible to stay behind them to avoid it, thus its a problem. Well, was....

I just find choppa/slayer boring because they can effectively win scenarios right now with a single button.

rfalias on
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Chosen want a SM's dps.
    SMs want the BO's CC
    BO's want to be IBs

Engineer too.

* Land Mine: This ability is now based on player Rank, and damage is based on Tinkerer level.
    * Increased base hit points on all Turrets.

Not much, but it's something.

chasehatesbears on
    edited April 2009
    Query: do mastery points used to aquire an ability/tactic also boost the effect of the associated mastery abilities?

Echo on
    edited April 2009

Chosen want a SM's dps.
    SMs want the BO's CC
    BO's want to be IBs

Engineer too.

* Land Mine: This ability is now based on player Rank, and damage is based on Tinkerer level.
    * Increased base hit points on all Turrets.

Not much, but it's something.

I'd rather it say:
    "Fixed landmine so it will always blow up properly when enemies are nearby"
    "Fixed lightning rod so it will always shoot lightning when deployed instead of just sitting there and making you waste AP and a cooldown."

rfalias on
  • SaammielSaammiel Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Query: do mastery points used to aquire an ability/tactic also boost the effect of the associated mastery abilities?

No.

Edit: Also, super lame TotP

Saammiel on
This discussion has been closed.