As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Land of the Dead Beckons Us! (Resubscribe NOW!)

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    just FYI, the change to choppas is basically "let's make it the same, except not require a target and make it an arc in front of them." so, they made it easier for a choppa to do his damage anyways. not a big change.

tyrannus on
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    Query: do mastery points used to aquire an ability/tactic also boost the effect of the associated mastery abilities?

No, only the spec level increases the effect of that paths abilities. So speccing all the way up to the M4 ability and grabbing all the abilities on the way, or grabbing none of the abilities on the way, both will leave you with the same damage potential.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    tyrannus wrote: »
    just FYI, the change to choppas is basically "let's make it the same, except not require a target and make it an arc in front of them." so, they made it easier for a choppa to do his damage anyways. not a big change.

Not entirely. It's the same as marauder. It just makes it so they have some sort of weakness (being behind them).

rfalias on
  • manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i think most WH/ WEs expected choppa aoe to go in a cone and naturally positionned themselves behind them. then they died due to their flimsy armour and overlapping fields of fire. having mdps that other mdps can't approach is rather unfair, especially as WE/WH's entire schtick is supposed to be greater positional single target dps...

the way cleansing power used to work was all the WPs heals would remove a curse. which meant by spamming aoe heal you could remove 1 curse from your team per second (more with multiple WPs casting slightly out of synch)

manji on
  • PhosPhos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ugh, I hope the live event is fairly quick to grind out, I really want those goggles on both my DOK and WE.

Stupid engineers, finally we all can enjoy the fun that is goggles.

Phos on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Phos wrote: »
    Ugh, I hope the live event is fairly quick to grind out, I really want those goggles on both my DOK and WE.

Stupid engineers, finally we all can enjoy the fun that is goggles.

I am thoroughly not impressed with the goggles. I wish they had left the goggles to WoW. :|

Lucky Cynic on
  • rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    manji wrote: »
    i think most WH/ WEs expected choppa aoe to go in a cone and naturally positionned themselves behind them. then they died due to their flimsy armour and overlapping fields of fire. having mdps that other mdps can't approach is rather unfair, especially as WE/WH's entire schtick is supposed to be greater positional single target dps...

the way cleansing power used to work was all the WPs heals would remove a curse. which meant by spamming aoe heal you could remove 1 curse from your team per second (more with multiple WPs casting slightly out of synch)

I dont think anyone outside of tanks can approach choppas.......

rfalias on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2009
    So, is that event limited to high-rank people or can I join the fun somewhere with my rank 20 zealot?

Echo on
    edited April 2009
    So, is that event limited to high-rank people or can I join the fun somewhere with my rank 20 zealot?

If it's anything like the other live events were... you can do it at lvl 1 and up. I'm not aware of any that were restricted to a certain tier, although I did miss the heavy metal one.

Phos on
  • narv107narv107 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hidden in the items section is a glorious note for WH. All Ballistics have been removed from Witch Hunter items. Hopefully they've been replaced by strength.

narv107 on
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Are those goggles going to be a helm?
    I really don't want goggles on my Black Guard.
    Maybe on a goblin.

chasehatesbears on
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    rfalias wrote: »
    manji wrote: »

I dont think anyone outside of tanks can approach choppas.......

I approach them all the time. Of course, for my slayer this means it's a 50/50 chance that they will die, or I will.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I can handle a few slayers at a time if I have heals. Unfortunately they seem to run in packs of four or more.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    slayers are brilliant on my BG, they just break themselves on my shield whilst i MR spam them to death. the faster they hit me the more they eat my reactive kd and blade of ruin. i can cheerfully take on a few at once and since they subscribe to the prevailing idea that BGs are rubbish they aren't shy about attacking me...

manji on
    edited April 2009
    I really ought to get back into WAR. It has been such a long while since I have last actually played it.

Which is sad. :|

Lucky Cynic on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Okay, so I resubbed, realized I am still not feelin' my DoK, and now I am looking for another class.

I really don't care about wtfpwnzor powerful, or if it's the FoTM of the month, but I do want it to be fun and useful. What are the current "fun" classes destruction side?

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited April 2009
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Okay, so I resubbed, realized I am still not feelin' my DoK, and now I am looking for another class.

I really don't care about wtfpwnzor powerful, or if it's the FoTM of the month, but I do want it to be fun and useful. What are the current "fun" classes destruction side?

As a T4 DOK I'm currently feeling envious of witch elfs, choppas and squig herders. This of course is just me standing inside the keeps on defense spamming heals or chasing MDPS around outside spamming heals.

Really though... I can't honestly think of any class that is really useless destruction side.

I'd definitely say if you are feeling the DOK blues try a choppa or a squiggy up to lvl 10.

Phos on
    edited April 2009
    Honestly, rational people seem to think most classes are pretty fun and have *some* role. I hear the most frustration around Witch Elves, Black Guard, and Magi, while people playing Disciples, Choppas, Sorcerers, and most of the other classes seem to like them.

Personally, I am enjoying the shit outta Chosen, Magus felt a bit listless, and my Shaman is frustratingly easy to kill (mostly in comparison to the Chosen).

Also, has 1.2.1 actually gone up now?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited April 2009
    According to the herald servers are up. Someone who isn't stuck at work today give some feedback! I didn't get to play around on the test center so I'm curious about the cast lag and animation fixes.

Phos on
    edited April 2009
    I am at work but I'll be able to check in a bit. :winky:

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yes, servers are up. The Candymancers have claimed and are upgrading a keep already. Because we rock like that.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    Scenario changes are awesome. We might see Khaine's Embrace finish by points now.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited April 2009
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Yes, servers are up. The Candymancers have claimed and are upgrading a keep already. Because we rock like that.

Keep us all informed how that works out; ROI and all that.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'll hit 40 for the first time with my sorc sometime tonight/early tomorrow :3 The orc T4 zones are excellent to quest in: Good xp rewards and a wide selection of quests, within the same areas, to cherrypick from. 15k for killing one guy? Sign me up!

After that I'll just have to sit a couple of days and zoom around lower tier zones that are about to get locked, for 3600 renown a pop, and then it's Annihilator time baby!

Panda4You on
  • hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    eelektrik wrote: »

which keep? It should be the southern kadrin valley keep. That is THE Candymancer keep and deserves this honor.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Morskittar wrote: »
    Honestly, rational people seem to think most classes are pretty fun and have *some* role. I hear the most frustration around Witch Elves, Black Guard, and Magi, while people playing Disciples, Choppas, Sorcerers, and most of the other classes seem to like them.

Personally, I am enjoying the shit outta Chosen, Magus felt a bit listless, and my Shaman is frustratingly easy to kill (mostly in comparison to the Chosen).

If you play magus right and not just spam that dumb 3 second spell, they are very fun and can easily get 40k damage in Tier 1. Haven't played a tier 3+ magus yet, though.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
    edited April 2009
    * Pre-game splash screens and opening cinematic can now be skipped by hitting the ESC key.

THANKYOU!

Lucky Cynic on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is Choppa open to the general populace yet?

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited April 2009
    * Pre-game splash screens and opening cinematic can now be skipped by hitting the ESC key.

THANKYOU!

Nice! I think I'm going to take this opportunity to reinstall the game, still running off the original beta client. D:

I assume if I install it to any directory besides program files (such as the public/games folder like WOW) I can bypass the admin prompt with vista when loading it?

Is Choppa open to the general populace yet?

Yes, for some time now.

Phos on
    edited April 2009
    Neva wrote: »

If you play magus right and not just spam that dumb 3 second spell, they are very fun and can easily get 40k damage in Tier 1. Haven't played a tier 3+ magus yet, though.

I only got to 15 or so; it felt like it had a lot of potential, but struggled to hit my stride in terms of what do do in scenarios. Lay dots, harrass, lay dps on healers? More a fault of my own and the limited play time than the class, I think.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    well I played some scenario last night with my shaman and I got owned a few times. You could see that for once, I was playing against people who had a clue.

There were a bunch of Bright wizzard that kept rang killing me while I was trying to heal and put some dot. I won't lie, it was a long and boring game. despite my best effort to remain hidden (hey, I'm a god damn goblin, I should be hard to see) they kept spaming rang spell on me to no end.

Guibs on
    jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    yea, i'd say bright wizards need to be toned down... or sorcs/magus toned up.

but hey, thats why i made a BW on badlands.

Feldorn on
    edited April 2009
    Feldorn wrote: »

Sorc and BW are pretty much equal despite what you hear on region chat.

Edit: Nordland seems to have a level 38 hero at each of the BOs.

Neva on

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
    edited April 2009

I only got to 15 or so; it felt like it had a lot of potential, but struggled to hit my stride in terms of what do do in scenarios. Lay dots, harrass, lay dps on healers? More a fault of my own and the limited play time than the class, I think.

Yeah, I always put all my dots up {and maybe a single target dot or 2 if its against a group} and then usually the melee AoE depending on the situation. Magus have to be up front to really get the most out of the class. In T1 and T2 at least.

Neva on

edited April 2009
    The melee AoE seemed awfully effective, but at 15 I didn't have many tricks to stay alive that close.

20 minutes of the new patch show a gain of 5-10 FPS and abilities feel very different; aura twisting, for example, is vastly more responsive.

The new guild interface is great; I particularly like the overview page showing contributions and the like.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited April 2009

Magus depends on what tree you spec, if you spec Daemonology, you can spam the daemonic lash, for roughly the same effectiveness as a Sorc / BW spamming their PBAOE instant spell. The lash has a slightly higher base DPS, but is cone instead of PBAOE, and the Magus has better survivablitity due to their self armor buff and no backlash mechanic.

If you spec Changing, you can spam you channeled spell, and toss in some DoTs if you see a melee train coming at you. Maybe lay down a mist if you are trying to defend something. For true DPS, get within 65' and Glean Magic, then Indigo Fire, dot up you target, and Surge / Rend Wind until Indigo is back up.

If you spec Havoc, cast PotW on as many casters/healers as you can, and throw out some mediocre fireballs and single target DoTs.

__

The Sorc and BW really arent comparable. Even players that have both a 40 BW and a 40 Sorc agree that the BW is preferable when comparing spec lines only, and that ignores things like Shield of Aqshy & Cauterize when compared to Obsessive Focus and Shroud of Darkness

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009

Magus depends on what tree you spec, if you spec Daemonology, you can spam the daemonic lash, for roughly the same effectiveness as a Sorc / BW spamming their PBAOE instant spell. The lash has a slightly higher base DPS, but is cone instead of PBAOE, and the Magus has better survivablitity due to their self armor buff and no backlash mechanic.

If you spec Changing, you can spam you channeled spell, and toss in some DoTs if you see a melee train coming at you. Maybe lay down a mist if you are trying to defend something. For true DPS, get within 65' and Glean Magic, then Indigo Fire, dot up you target, and Surge / Rend Wind until Indigo is back up.

If you spec Havoc, cast PotW on as many casters/healers as you can, and throw out some mediocre fireballs and single target DoTs.

__

The Sorc and BW really arent comparable. Even players that have both a 40 BW and a 40 Sorc agree that the BW is preferable when comparing spec lines only, and that ignores things like Shield of Aqshy & Cauterize when compared to Obsessive Focus and Shroud of Darkness

I've played Sorc and BW, and have two level 40 Sorc friends that are actually good at the class {Actually watching them play the class, not just them telling me how good it is}. They really aren't that different. People like to complain about BWs getting a tactic that increases the radius of RoF, but that's not nearly as useful as it sounds if you're good at RoF placement, and it would be a lot more effective to slot different tactic.

Neva on

• IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Yeah, I always put all my dots up {and maybe a single target dot or 2 if its against a group} and then usually the melee AoE depending on the situation. Magus have to be up front to really get the most out of the class. In T1 and T2 at least.

The Magus in the first three tiers is not too bad now (assuming you don't spec Havoc) from what I hear. I quit mine before the global change to DoTs, and have yet to get back into it because for some reason I cannot seem to transfer him off Volkmar (trying to figure out what to do about this). It seems like Tier 4 is where most people have a problem, which I'm assuming is due to the Magus's range and relative lack of utility and survival skills.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • bookworm13bookworm13 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Query: do mastery points used to aquire an ability/tactic also boost the effect of the associated mastery abilities?

No, only the spec level increases the effect of that paths abilities. So speccing all the way up to the M4 ability and grabbing all the abilities on the way, or grabbing none of the abilities on the way, both will leave you with the same damage potential.

Hold on a sec, I'd like some clarification here. As I read the Mastery Tree note it says "These Core Abilities are part of this mastery. Each point spent increases their power". So your normal abilities that belong to the mastery do benefit, but the actual abilities that you purchase with mastery points are not affected by your mastery level?

Also, how did their promise on better combat responsiveness hold out? Feels better?

bookworm13 on
    edited April 2009

__

I've played Sorc and BW, and have two level 40 Sorc friends that are actually good at the class {Actually watching them play the class, not just them telling me how good it is}. They really aren't that different. People like to complain about BWs getting a tactic that increases the radius of RoF, but that's not nearly as useful as it sounds if you're good at RoF placement, and it would be a lot more effective to slot different tactic.

If thats the only thing that they think the BW has over the Sorc, they should look closer.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.