As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Land of the Dead Beckons Us! (Resubscribe NOW!)

• NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Neva wrote: »
    Feldorn wrote: »
    yea, i'd say bright wizards need to be toned down... or sorcs/magus toned up.

but hey, thats why i made a BW on badlands.

Sorc and BW are pretty much equal despite what you hear on region chat.

Edit: Nordland seems to have a level 38 hero at each of the BOs.

Magus depends on what tree you spec, if you spec Daemonology, you can spam the daemonic lash, for roughly the same effectiveness as a Sorc / BW spamming their PBAOE instant spell. The lash has a slightly higher base DPS, but is cone instead of PBAOE, and the Magus has better survivablitity due to their self armor buff and no backlash mechanic.

If you spec Changing, you can spam you channeled spell, and toss in some DoTs if you see a melee train coming at you. Maybe lay down a mist if you are trying to defend something. For true DPS, get within 65' and Glean Magic, then Indigo Fire, dot up you target, and Surge / Rend Wind until Indigo is back up.

If you spec Havoc, cast PotW on as many casters/healers as you can, and throw out some mediocre fireballs and single target DoTs.

__

The Sorc and BW really arent comparable. Even players that have both a 40 BW and a 40 Sorc agree that the BW is preferable when comparing spec lines only, and that ignores things like Shield of Aqshy & Cauterize when compared to Obsessive Focus and Shroud of Darkness

I've played Sorc and BW, and have two level 40 Sorc friends that are actually good at the class {Actually watching them play the class, not just them telling me how good it is}. They really aren't that different. People like to complain about BWs getting a tactic that increases the radius of RoF, but that's not nearly as useful as it sounds if you're good at RoF placement, and it would be a lot more effective to slot different tactic.

If thats the only thing that they think the BW has over the Sorc, they should look closer.

Both classes bitch about every single skill they get and say the other side has it better. What skills do you feel the BW have that make them incomparable to Sorc?

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    bookworm13 wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Query: do mastery points used to aquire an ability/tactic also boost the effect of the associated mastery abilities?

No, only the spec level increases the effect of that paths abilities. So speccing all the way up to the M4 ability and grabbing all the abilities on the way, or grabbing none of the abilities on the way, both will leave you with the same damage potential.

Hold on a sec, I'd like some clarification here. As I read the Mastery Tree note it says "These Core Abilities are part of this mastery. Each point spent increases their power". So your normal abilities that belong to the mastery do benefit, but the actual abilities that you purchase with mastery points are not affected by your mastery level?

Also, how did their promise on better combat responsiveness hold out? Feels better?

Its not that mastery path abilities are left out, its that core abilities are added in to be bound by the same rules as those mastery path abilities. They did this for game balance reasons.

Each spec line has room for 15 spec points to be spent increasing the effectiveness of abilities from that spec line.

Spec line abilities level at a rate of +1 per level 1-10 and +1 per 2 levels 11-40. For an effectiveness rating at Level 40 of 25.

Core abilities level at a rate of +1 per level 1-40. For an effectiveness rating at Level 40 of 40.

If you put 15 points in a spec line tree to increase the effectiveness of abilities in that tree, all the abilities will be at effectiveness of Level 40 (25+15=40).

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    hazywater wrote: »
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Yes, servers are up. The Candymancers have claimed and are upgrading a keep already. Because we rock like that.

which keep? It should be the southern kadrin valley keep. That is THE Candymancer keep and deserves this honor.

we claimed the southern keep in Reikland (that's where the fighting was at the time). Kadrin isn't open at the moment. :(

We upgraded the guards and patrols to champions, increased their numbers, increased the keep doors hit points, and installed the healing and life-leach mobs. There was one attack on the keep while I was online, and the invaders never made it past the NPCs. One nice addition is if you own a keep and someone kills one of your guards, you get an announcement of how many enemy players are in the area. No longer do you have to investigate if there's just 1 person out there flagging your keep. The cost is pretty prohibitive though, so I wouldn't recommend upgrading every keep you own (it's up to 24g per hour if you load it out) but if you're wanting to make it much harder for the other side to flip a zone it's a good means to do so.

There was also an attack on the destro-held northern keep before I logged off just a few minutes ago. Getting into the keep takes longer because of the increased HP on the doors, but with pit of shades not stacking we were actually able to stay on the doors more... meaning people could actually do stuff instead of just sitting around watching the puddles on the ground. The destruction players would run out and sabotage our ram from time to time, but eventually we got in. I will say we had the defense outnumbered, but it is actually "possible" to take the keep now against a defense. On badlands if destruction had their sorcs inside, there was no need of a tank wall as the casters would just melt you down before you ever got into the lord's room. The fight for this keep probably lasted 10 minutes just in the lord's room with all the skirmishes, rezzes, etc. going on. It was fun. :)

The guild UI changes are awesome.

Overall, a good quality of life patch. I'll get some more playtime in tonight, but so far it's looking like a damn good patch. Also something we noticed... our AP regen seems to be through the roof. Has anyone else noticed this?

WolveSight on
    253J736.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Actually this sounds like a great patch so far, coming from a launch player who got pushed away by some of the keep sieging stuff. I hope they keep tweaking it, because it has the potential to be really, really fun (and even was at times when I was doing keep sieging very early after release).

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    bookworm13 wrote: »
    Also, how did their promise on better combat responsiveness hold out? Feels better?

I only hit some PvE for a few minutes, but it felt good; almost like certain abilities were allowed to overlap with each other. I was twisting auras between melee attacks, and though the melee attacks would have a pause (just feeling the usual GCD), the auras didn't pause at all; instant pop.

I like the normalized aura graphics, too, except for the fact that the cool Discord runes are now gone.

edit: wasn't there some sort of fix to stuff that allows regen in combat? Like it wasn't working before.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I haven't played in a week and a bit.

I think this needs to change. I sort of just burned myself out after getting two characters to 20-ish in a very short time. Time to try a new class/actually level my Shadow Warrior. I would play my Bright Wizard but he isn't on Badlands. (Come on Mythic, server transfers soon?)

Hmm, might try a tank class. I'm thinking Ironbreaker or possibly an Engineer. Or a healer class, I've never really tried one.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    Bug fix to off-hand didn't work. Can we hotfix an actual nerf now?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited April 2009

Magus depends on what tree you spec, if you spec Daemonology, you can spam the daemonic lash, for roughly the same effectiveness as a Sorc / BW spamming their PBAOE instant spell. The lash has a slightly higher base DPS, but is cone instead of PBAOE, and the Magus has better survivablitity due to their self armor buff and no backlash mechanic.

If you spec Changing, you can spam you channeled spell, and toss in some DoTs if you see a melee train coming at you. Maybe lay down a mist if you are trying to defend something. For true DPS, get within 65' and Glean Magic, then Indigo Fire, dot up you target, and Surge / Rend Wind until Indigo is back up.

If you spec Havoc, cast PotW on as many casters/healers as you can, and throw out some mediocre fireballs and single target DoTs.

__

The Sorc and BW really arent comparable. Even players that have both a 40 BW and a 40 Sorc agree that the BW is preferable when comparing spec lines only, and that ignores things like Shield of Aqshy & Cauterize when compared to Obsessive Focus and Shroud of Darkness

I've played Sorc and BW, and have two level 40 Sorc friends that are actually good at the class {Actually watching them play the class, not just them telling me how good it is}. They really aren't that different. People like to complain about BWs getting a tactic that increases the radius of RoF, but that's not nearly as useful as it sounds if you're good at RoF placement, and it would be a lot more effective to slot different tactic.

If thats the only thing that they think the BW has over the Sorc, they should look closer.

Both classes bitch about every single skill they get and say the other side has it better. What skills do you feel the BW have that make them incomparable to Sorc?

I'm not going to go over every single tactic and ability in each of the 3 trees comparing them across both classes along with comparing baseline ability and tactics along with class synergy with throwing arm Engineers debuffing Corporeal resist and previous Cleansing Power removing every Curse that the Sorcs tried to put down.

The only thing that Sorcs really had over BW previously was the group damage buff that got cut in half in 1.2. Everything else always relied on Destro's melee dominance overshadowing Orders ranged superiority.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    I hear the melee/ranged division discussed a lot, but I've never seen Mythic speak to it. Is this an evolved or playerbase-driven thing or did I miss Mythic trying to design things like that?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited April 2009
    Morskittar wrote: »
    I hear the melee/ranged division discussed a lot, but I've never seen Mythic speak to it. Is this an evolved or playerbase-driven thing or did I miss Mythic trying to design things like that?

I dont know if was intended or not, but Marauder and Witch Elf both have AOE knockdowns, and the Marauder also had excellent AOE and disorient, stacked with Chosen Disorient. Made Orders life hell and needed something done.

So they fixed that, then also lowered everyones resist to 40% and pretty much hardcapped it there. Which is where the ranged dominance started to kick in, along with no longer having stacking disorients to allow people to kill the WP and other healers without alot of coordination and heal debuffs.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009

__

I'm not going to go over every single tactic and ability in each of the 3 trees comparing them across both classes along with comparing baseline ability and tactics along with class synergy with throwing arm Engineers debuffing Corporeal resist and previous Cleansing Power removing every Curse that the Sorcs tried to put down.

The only thing that Sorcs really had over BW previously was the group damage buff that got cut in half in 1.2. Everything else always relied on Destro's melee dominance overshadowing Orders ranged superiority.

Yeah, you shouldn't go over every single tactic and ability, because just because they work differently doesn't mean they are less effective. There are abilities on Sorc side I would rather have on my BW. I've never had any interest in teaming up with engies for the corporeal debuff, because almost every single ability a BW has does elemental damage. The only corp damage I do is from my corp debuffing dot that's on a 10 second timer.

Neva on

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • KagnarosKagnaros Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Can't believe they changed how Discordant Instability looks on Chosen. I liked that graphic. :(

Kagnaros on
    fss.png
    edited April 2009
    Kagnaros wrote: »
    Can't believe they changed how Discordant Instability looks on Chosen. I liked that graphic. :(

Yeah; I like most of the effects they changed to, but the floating runes were awesome. It was also nice to have a little visual cue to what was up without having to move your eyes from your character.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited April 2009
    We seriously have to loot the damn tokens. I really don't want to look at sparkly corpses during RvR.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    We seriously have to loot the damn tokens. I really don't want to look at sparkly corpses during RvR.

You never know when boots are going to drop

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
    edited April 2009
    I've never found RvR looting to be tedious or hard, except when someone goes down behind their lines... which is a fun little "can I survive long enough to click" game.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited April 2009
    When I'm focused on healing my side, I don't have time to check and see if the corpses are glowing and I certainly don't like sticking my neck out too loot them. Especially when it's a corpse that has a green and we're rolling on it.

It's probably a way for them to keep people from drowning in rare loot sets, but I'd prefer if the game just automatically distributed tokens.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited April 2009
    That's fair; it's much more realistic for a tank to rush them (and see them in the first place) than a healer or someone in the back lines.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i don't care what people say RoF >>> PoS

this is because of wildfire + spreading flames tactics. I also think that RoF is a wider area base, but that might just be visual/game lag.

Feldorn on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2009
    Jesus fuck.

Okay, I haven't been on the order side of things. But do Sorceresses lay down pit of whatevers that tick for 1k and wipe out an entire warband in seconds?

That's pretty much what happened for four hours straight tonight. We were 2-3 warbands, and were opposed by maybe one full order WB. They kept wiping the floor with us. The second a BW or two showed up a quarter of the warband drops dead every five seconds.

edit: talking tier 3 here.

Echo on
    edited April 2009
    That's fair; it's much more realistic for a tank to rush them (and see them in the first place) than a healer or someone in the back lines.
    "Looter" should be added to tank job description. Get your pillow case and bring home the bacon.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Aces. Witch hunter itemization got fixed. :D

PREPARE FOR DOOM.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • bookworm13bookworm13 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Its not that mastery path abilities are left out, its that core abilities are added in to be bound by the same rules as those mastery path abilities. They did this for game balance reasons.

Each spec line has room for 15 spec points to be spent increasing the effectiveness of abilities from that spec line.

Spec line abilities level at a rate of +1 per level 1-10 and +1 per 2 levels 11-40. For an effectiveness rating at Level 40 of 25.

Core abilities level at a rate of +1 per level 1-40. For an effectiveness rating at Level 40 of 40.

If you put 15 points in a spec line tree to increase the effectiveness of abilities in that tree, all the abilities will be at effectiveness of Level 40 (25+15=40).

OK, I'm a little slow but I think I got it now. I misread Echo's original question too -- he was just asking about the mastery point you spend to actually buy an ability increasing the mastery tree level.

Just to be sure though, in the hypothetical case that I'm rank 28 and spent 13 mastery points in one tree without buying any mastery tree abilities, I would have maxed out the level of my core abilities at ability level 40? Any mastery points I spend above that to increase the mastery level would be wasted on my core abilities since they can't go above 40, but would be needed to bring any mastery tree abilities up to rank 40?

Thanks for your patience.

bookworm13 on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jesus fuck.

Okay, I haven't been on the order side of things. But do Sorceresses lay down pit of whatevers that tick for 1k and wipe out an entire warband in seconds?

That's pretty much what happened for four hours straight tonight. We were 2-3 warbands, and were opposed by maybe one full order WB. They kept wiping the floor with us. The second a BW or two showed up a quarter of the warband drops dead every five seconds.

Edit: Oops. I misread. Yes, they do. It ticks for only half that much at my level, but it fucking sucks.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    edited April 2009
    "Looter" should be added to tank job description. Get your pillow case and bring home the bacon.

Is the pillow case an allegory for their damage potential? :P

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009

Is the pillow case an allegory for their damage potential? :P

Every point made thus far is accurate.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Actually this sounds like a great patch so far, coming from a launch player who got pushed away by some of the keep sieging stuff. I hope they keep tweaking it, because it has the potential to be really, really fun (and even was at times when I was doing keep sieging very early after release).

Oh, if you want a free trial, pm me your email and I'll hook you up.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jesus fuck.

Oh yeah, the Sorc Pit of Shades hurts like hell, too. If I see one of those pop up below me, unless I get out of it within 3 sec I am toast. I personally am just grateful that the graphic clearly defines its borders, so I can actually tell when I'm out of it.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
    edited April 2009
    i don't care what people say RoF >>> PoS

this is because of wildfire + spreading flames tactics. I also think that RoF is a wider area base, but that might just be visual/game lag.

Fan the Flames isn't really that great if you know how to place your RoF, and you would be better off with another tactic in that slot. I would rather have sorc's Triumphant Blasting, which knocks people back when ever they crit with a path of destruction spell. Even though it's a situational tactic, it's great for scenarios with drops/lava, or knocking people off keep walls.

Neva on

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jesus fuck.
    Wait until T4, when it's ticking for 1400 every second after mitigation. :(

Glal on
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    just seems like there are 3 BW for every sorc. but maybe thats just a problem on Iron Rock. i hear order outnumbers destro by a good bit there.

i want to try and get back on badlands some time, i've just been having fun lvling my magus (not sure why i'd want to play that class really).

Feldorn on
    edited April 2009
    just seems like there are 3 BW for every sorc. but maybe thats just a problem on Iron Rock. i hear order outnumbers destro by a good bit there.

i want to try and get back on badlands some time, i've just been having fun lvling my magus (not sure why i'd want to play that class really).

Active Order, at least. IR Destro are pussies* and have fled RoF and T4 wholesale.

*Not being in T4 until yesterday, I don't know if this is reasonable or not.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hmm this patch is interesting, I ran around T2 and managed to pick up 7 random pieces or ordiance laying around the ground over an hour. I look back at the Quartermaster and he's all yo you need 300 for an upgraded seige weapon. Now i'm wondering if that weapon is a one time use like normal seige weapons or does it persist in your inventory? Seems like a colossal waste of time if it's a one time use but decent if it's persistant or cooldown based.

The combat responsiveness is really really good, speaking after palying my engineer I was gunblasting the fuck outta mans. I could actually kill people at a decent rate after stacking some dots on em and gunblasting away. If healing and every other ranged dps class fairs similar i think melee is gonna be in a world of hurt... more so.

Sonork on
    edited April 2009
    I've heard some about how survivability is up overall; if that's the case, it may support melee getting *to* ranged to do stuff.

I'm intersted to hop on and try it all out tonight... except I just got into the Blood Bowl beta. Goddamn time, I need more.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited April 2009
    Survivability is up? From what?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited April 2009
    I have no idea (or if it's true or quantifiable); could just be an affect of modifying AoE.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Trevor GoodchildTrevor Goodchild Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've heard some about how survivability is up overall; if that's the case, it may support melee getting *to* ranged to do stuff.

I'm intersted to hop on and try it all out tonight... except I just got into the Blood Bowl beta. Goddamn time, I need more.

You got into the blood bowl beta?! Damn you! I've been hoping to receive that email for awhile now.

Trevor Goodchild on
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I totally can't wait to tell everyone all about [NDA] and my thoughts on [NDA].

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So I'm hearing that the lion part of white lion is decent now and can really put the hurt on people.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Action and Excitement!

How's the patch turning out for everybody?

Havelock on
This discussion has been closed.