As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Converting DVD's for iPod Touch?

MattitudeMattitude Paste Pot PeteKicking The BucketRegistered User regular
Okay, So I've got an 8gb iPod Touch (2nd Gen) and I want to convert some of my DVDs into a suitable format for the iPod, so I can watch them on that: maybe I've got long journeys aheahd, maybe I just like watching stuff in bed.
Anyways I really want to avoid spending money on this, I;ve already bought the DVD's, surely I shouldn'e have to buy things twice. So, any suggestions as to what software I can use to rip for the DVD and convert the video into a suitable format for my lil' touch?
Thanks in advance.

I got this Tumblr and I don't know how to use it.
Decide on the next line by the rhyme when I choose it.
Also I put songs on YouTube
The musings of this lonely rube.

I made a thread once. It didn't end well for me.
Mattitude on

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Handbrake.

Thread over.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I use ffmpeg, though this requires you to rip the dvd via some other means.

I like ffmpeg because it's command line, and I can easily put it in a script to do batch processing.

xzzy on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Handbrake is, by far, my favorite DVD ripper. It does batches too (for stuff like TV box sets).

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    MattitudeMattitude Paste Pot Pete Kicking The BucketRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Handbrake.

Thread over.

except handbrake doesn't let me convert from a copy-protected source, so none of my already-purchased DVDs can be converted. Which is what I want to do. Is there a work-around of some sort?

Mattitude on

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Mattitude wrote: »
    Handbrake.

Thread over.

except handbrake doesn't let me convert from a copy-protected source, so none of my already-purchased DVDs can be converted. Which is what I want to do. Is there a work-around of some sort?
    Are you on a Windows OS?

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yep, XP SP3

Mattitude on

• Options
    edited April 2009
    yea, you can rip them with a tool like anyDVD or DVD Decrypter(I use DVD Decrypter) then use handbrake to convert that file.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The problem with DVD Decrypter is that it doesn't handle the newer copy protections. AnyDVD is good and very versatile and will allow you to use handbrake to directly rip a DVD.

If you want an all in one solution there is DVDFab.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Will any of these apps do Blu-Ray?

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    AnyDVD HD & DVDFab HD can handle Blu-ray. Handbrake cannot handle Blu-ray and doesn't seem to be equipped to handle any HD source.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You can rip dvd's with vlc.. which is another open source app that is awesome.

VLC can handle the file formats that bluray uses, but can't read the discs itself. I don't know of any free tool that can read bluray yet.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The problem with DVD Decrypter is that it doesn't handle the newer copy protections. AnyDVD is good and very versatile and will allow you to use handbrake to directly rip a DVD.

See, I've never had a problem with DVD Decrypter. Not once has it failed me, even with new movies. *shrugs*

wunderbar on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

See, I've never had a problem with DVD Decrypter. Not once has it failed me, even with new movies. *shrugs*

Really? Are you in region 1?

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Since DVD Decryptor started failing me on the newer encryptions (I think Finding Nemo was the first one that failed, I can't remember exactly but I know it was a Disney movie I wanted to have for the kids) I moved to DVD Fab and Handbrake. It's been awesome ever since.

EDIT: It was Wall-E! Wall-E killed DVD Decryptor.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Well, DVD Decrypter isn't having any problems so far, so I'll see how long that can serve me.
    Much appreciated folks.

Mattitude on

• Options
    edited April 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Since DVD Decryptor started failing me on the newer encryptions (I think Finding Nemo was the first one that failed, I can't remember exactly but I know it was a Disney movie I wanted to have for the kids) I moved to DVD Fab and Handbrake. It's been awesome ever since.

EDIT: It was Wall-E! Wall-E killed DVD Decryptor.

Ah, see I got the version of Wall-E that had the digital copy in there, so I didn't need to worry about that(imo that's the best option).

And yes, I'm in Reigon 1.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yes, but the digital copy of Wall-E is only iTunes or WMP, of which neither will work on my Zune. I would rather have a DRM free copy anyway.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    For new Disney DVDs and a few others, there's this new method they use to break rippers where they deliberately format the disc with lots and lots of bad blocks. Set-top players follow the menu directions and never attempt to load bad blocks. Rippers try to scan the whole structure and totally choke. There are a few tools that can take care of it. I use RipIt4Me.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    For new Disney DVDs and a few others, there's this new method they use to break rippers where they deliberately format the disc with lots and lots of bad blocks. Set-top players follow the menu directions and never attempt to load bad blocks. Rippers try to scan the whole structure and totally choke. There are a few tools that can take care of it. I use RipIt4Me.

It's like the Amiga 2000 all over again ;).

Ego on
    Erik