As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I need to track this person down

JeiceJeice regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
A friend of mine subletted her place to this person. And, when payment time came along, that person is no where to be found.

She has an ip address range (somewhere in BC), an email, a cell number and a name. Is there any way this person can be tracked. Or is my friend fucked?

Jeice on

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jeice wrote: »
    A friend of mine subletted her place to this person. And, when payment time came along, that person is no where to be found.

She has an ip address range (somewhere in BC), an email, a cell number and a name. Is there any way this person can be tracked. Or is my friend fucked?
    With all that, sure. On your own? Probably not. The cell company won't give out a billing address without a court order or warrant most likely, ditto for the ISP.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You probably can't, unless you have friends in interesting places. The police might be able to help, if you reported as a crime, but if the subletting was under the table to begin with, you might have issues there.

The IP address is a good start, if they haven't moved from where they are, you can get an address from that with a warrant and a cooperative ISP. Email, unless it states a company name is almost useless, unless again, you're going for the IP often contained in the header info.

A cell number is a very interesting thing. Federal authorities would be able to use that, right down to GPS triangulation, but I'm not sure how helpful even police pressure would be at a regional level, as it would go back to account holder, which really could be anywhere (unlike an IP which is a fixed provider location).

The name is somewhat helpful, if they are on the grid, you can try Operator services, but its unlikely they have a recent, usable address. If you play dress up, you could call everybody in the region with the same surname, and ask for the whereabouts or contact info for that person.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Always get a deposit, phone number and home address before letting someone stay in your place. If someone won't pay a deposit that's a red flag right there.

You're welcome to pursue this but I doubt you will get any money.

Dman on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Your friend is fucked.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

Probably fucked. I presume you or your friend has done the obvious and looked to see if the person is on Facebook? I don't think cell numbers are indexed on Canada411 or the Telus online phonebook, but even if it was, it could be one of those phones you buy at 7-11.

Somewhere in BC doesn't really help. This is a big province with what, five or six million people?

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Corvus wrote: »

Probably fucked. I presume you or your friend has done the obvious and looked to see if the person is on Facebook? I don't think cell numbers are indexed on Canada411 or the Telus online phonebook, but even if it was, it could be one of those phones you buy at 7-11.

Somewhere in BC doesn't really help. This is a big province with what, five or six million people?

Just a tad over 4, with most of that concentrated in the Lower Mainland and on the southern Island.

But it still probably won't help you. You could try calling the RCMP or the VPD (depending on where your friend's place is) and seeing if they can help you out. But I think you are fucked.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This is also a civil issue I believe so I doubt the police will be able help.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    This is also a civil issue I believe so I doubt the police will be able help.

I suppose you could report it as a missing person, but I don't know if that would be wise.

Corvus on
  • Options
    JeiceJeice regular
    edited April 2009
    Your friend is fucked.

:(

That sucks.

We've done the obvious facebook and 411.ca etc., but no luck. I don't know anyone in the phone companies, ISP's or FBI that could trace it for me so... :(

Thanks for the info guys.

Jeice on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Even if you could trace the IP address, you probably couldn't come up with anything useful. I live in Northern BC, but when I run a program that tells me where I am based on my IP address, it tell's me I'm in Surrey, 750kms south.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Even if you could trace the IP address, you probably couldn't come up with anything useful. I live in Northern BC, but when I run a program that tells me where I am based on my IP address, it tell's me I'm in Surrey, 750kms south.

I would not be shocked if Telus and Shaw all route their stuff through some facility here in the Lower Mainland.

Corvus on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    In BC they share data transmission facilities. The endpoint IP appears generic to the public, but tracked on an individual level internally.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Your friend is fucked.

:(

That sucks.

We've done the obvious facebook and 411.ca etc., but no luck. I don't know anyone in the phone companies, ISP's or FBI that could trace it for me so... :(

Thanks for the info guys.

Try google? Sounds dumb I know, but you never know...

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Chances are the name is fake, since it sounds like your friend wasn't particularly "by the books" when she subletted.

Next time, have a lease, photocopy ID, and take a deposit.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment