As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Solved, [LOCK]

ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
Someday I'll post a thread with a normal problem. I just got a new, secondary HDMI cable from Monoprice. Quick summary of my hookup before the cable: (all components to same surge protector)
Pioneer 5020fd - Connected to EITHER receiver or PS3 using single Dynex 6' HDMI cable
Onkyo TX-SR606 - Connected to Wii via component, connected to TV via Dynex HDMI, connected to PS3 AUDIO via optical cable, connected to two Paradigm Monitor Titans via Audioquest speaker cable
PS3 - Connected to receiver via optical cable, connected to 5020fd via Dynex HDMI
Wii - Connected to receiver via component

Now that I have the cable, the PS3 is connected to receiver with HDMI, and the receiver is connected to the TV with HDMI. And now I have an annoying, subtle buzz in my speakers with the PS3. Summary:

PS3 - XMB Menu System - Worst buzz, not even subtle, annoying
PS3 - Eden/Echochrome/WipeoutHD - Buzz less than XMB, but still noticeable
PS3 - Ratchet/Gauntlet II/MortalKombat II - Buzz less than Eden/etc, and seems to grow with volume
PS3 - Wall-E Blu-Ray - Absolutely no buzz whatsoever
Wii - Anything - Absolutely no buzz whatsoever

What's even funnier: if I unplug the TV from the receiver (so no video), the buzz drops to an almost imperceptible level...definitely still there, but not near what it was. I've already taken the obvious measure of switching cables...it's obvious that this is something I'd never seen because I never hooked the PS3 to a receiver with HDMI. I plugged the optical back in (in tandem with HDMI) and the buzz came over the optical as well. If I kept the optical in and unplugged the HDMI (cutting video), buzz disappears completely.

Is this some kind of power issue? Is there anything I can do about it besides buying a power conditioner if so?

Edit: If I hook both the PS3 and the receiver up to the TV directly via HDMI cables, and use optical from PS3 to receiver for sound, no buzz. This solves the problem except that now I can't use HD sound formats. Does this mean the blame is on the receiver HDMI in? I also tried running the HDMI from the PS3 to the TV, and then sound from TV to Receiver using analog, no buzz. The buzz only happens when PS3->Receiver is HDMI...and it is reduced by about 80% if the TV isn't plugged into the receiver via HDMI at the same time.

Edit2: Finally found someone nearby with an HDMI device, plugged it in, still buzzed. Further isolation means the Onkyo TX-SR606 is introducing buzz in its HDMI ins. Problem solved.

subedii wrote: »
I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
Scrublet on